Custer County Cemeteries - Genealogy
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+759) 8 years ago
Is anyone interested in putting all of the grave information online. I would be interested in participating in a local effort to do so. Possibly a Miles City / Custer County Genealogy page, or even just add them to finda grave site.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+585) 8 years ago
http://www.findagrave.com...Scnty=1602

Here is findagrave for a start.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+759) 8 years ago
I know about findagrave, and I see that there are 62 photo requests. I plan on getting some of them fulfilled. What I was referring to was the possibility of getting others involved. I have had problems tracing my family, and thought it would be nice to help get all our graves listed. Currently 62% is photographed.

When researching my family I like to get a copy of the written record. I have found there to be many spelling mistakes, and by seeing the cemetery papers or whatever is logged along with gravestone, you can get more information.

To take it farther would be to put it in a website for our area and add in an area where a person can log on and add facts about the family members/friends. Things such as relatives names, birth and death, residences, marriages. This would have to have a way to deduce how accurate the information is, like inserted by aunt, or census record number.

This would all help people to find links to their family trees. I spent 10 years trying to find a short lived marriage my father had before my mother. I had seen an article when I was younger that my father had that showed the death of a boy. We had a 18 - 20 boy year old come and see us when we were young. All we knew was Jimmy. He never told anyone his last name. He tried to get employment from my father but because he refused a last name my father wouldn't not hire him. I was too little but my older brother and sisters said he came often and would stay and play with us kids. The article was a obit where he died and that is how dad found out that this boy was his son. He was listed in the survived by part of the obit When my mother and father passed away, I looked for that obit but it was gone..

We never knew who the mother was, but recently I found the correct information. Sadly she has passed also.

By providing a place to gather more information situations like mine could be avoided or at least a trail to follow could be found. It is just a thought, but I would be willing to participate in anyway I can. I am going to start by trying to get pictures of the 62 requests fulfilled.

Is there a Historical Society in our area that does this, or are they only concentrating in Buildings, city history?Help tracking down the grave and getting all the photos would help to get this done faster.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+585) 8 years ago
I thought Custer Co was on interment.net but I did not see an entry. Here is what has been done at graves-r-us.
http://www.graves-r-us.com/custer.html

A central location for information is always helpful. Are you familiar with Genweb?
http://www.rootsweb.ances...~mtcuster/
Posted by JuDee Anderson (+1) 8 years ago
I would. I am trying to find ancestors that died there. I am wondering about cause of death...I think they had a boarding house there in the early 1900's. Would be interested in graves, cemeteries, churches, newspapers, etc. Was there an epidemic of Spanish flu there?

Any other genealogy you are aware of would be helpful...thanks!
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1916) 8 years ago
The flu epidemic definitely hit Custer County. The newspaper stopped running obituaries and just ran a list of names.
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+240) 8 years ago
Find a Grave has helped find our family roots more than any pay site. It's up to the survivors to post for free, just login in. I just signed up for the Aye's
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+186) 8 years ago
I once started that project, spent many hours transcribing markers. My notes are buried and are now 20 years out of date. I think the local Genealogy Society has copies of the burial records from the courthouse? If needed, I can provided website resources.