Dirty Power
Posted by Eric Brandt (+839) 14 years ago

I'm going to rant a little.

It is 7:15 in the morning and all my electronic devices just reset themselves. Why? because MDU has, without a doubt, the WORST power distribution I have ever experienced in my life. This is the THIRD power outage in a week! We haven't even had any storms! WTH-over! Never very long, just long enough to switch the grid around a little I guess. But long enough to [expletive removed] P!$$ me off!

WHY would you realign the grid at 7:15 in the morning? Are we really that stupid? Can't we wait until 8:00? How many people will be late for work this morning because all their clocks are blinking "12:00" "-----" "12:00" "-----" "12:00 ""-----" "12:00" "-----" "12:00" "-----" "12:00". I don't even bother resetting my clocks anymore. My stove has been at "12:00" for the past 18 months or more.

My UPS logs out-of-tolerance power events. It has to kick in two or three times a week! [overvoltage - very rare, brownout(undervoltage) common, blackout - EXTREMELY common, and usually very brief] Come on, that's ridiculous! 150 power anomalies per year! This would be OK in a non technical society, but this is 2007 - everything wants good power!

Our power supply warranty rates are more then DOUBLE the manufacturers national average (which they pound on me for BTW).

I propose a solution:
We all band together and create a renewable energy cooperative. We install solar and wind systems with batteries and inverters for everyone. We engage in a net metering agreement with MDU and then WE supply the grid when they are down, or sell our power to our neighbors. Everyone wins - we get stable power, our neighbors get stable power, MDU isn't forced to stabilize their grid, and I get one less thing to [email protected]# about!
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 14 years ago
Eric,

Here's another solution: Gather up all of the dung from the Bucking Horse Sale to burn for fuel/power!

It might not smell all that great but at least you won't have to rely on MDU!

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 8/14/2007).]
8:44 - more blinking clocks - AGAIN !!!!

Kyle - You might be on to something there!

[This message has been edited by Eric Brandt (edited 8/20/2007).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 14 years ago
Eric, UPS battery backups.

The power grid here isn't at all stable, so we have one for each computer and one for the alarm clock. I just ignore the microwave and DVD player - they're welcome to blink all they want
Concerned about a dying thread on MilesCity.com, MDU decided that 4 power outages this week would revive it!

Yup,. that's right - last night, sometime around 11PM, down everything went - for the FOURTH TIME this week! I woke up about 3 hours later and realized that things were not "right", chuckled, and went back to sleep.

Just thought I would share...

Does anyone know a good computer store where I can get a few UPS's?
Posted by MollieP (+130) 14 years ago
I heard there was one on main street....don't recall who, but he posts "rantings" regularly....heehee
GAACK!

I just lost power for no more than 5 seconds - for the FIFTH TIME IN 7 DAYS!

How do people function under these conditions? It's really rather irritating.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 14 years ago
I haven't lost power at my house or my office in several days. Have you checked your wiring? I know the new meter at the Masonic Temple caused trouble with the elevator. Maybe you need to have an electrician in. I have clock at home and a phone at the office that lose their time at the slightest flicker and they have been fine.