OLD OLD County Hospital
Posted by Nancy Wallick (+63) 15 years ago
The pictures of Holy Rosary Hospital coming down brought back memories of its predecessor. This hospital was located on South Strevell Street. The hospital was a large 2 story with lower level. The boarded up building took most of the block. As kids in the 60's we climbed thru the fence and explored/played in the building, including the upper level. In retrospect the interior and experience reminds me of a Stephen King novel . I remember it being demolished and houses were built on the site. Does anyone remember the name of this hospital? We called it something as we headed over to explore! Also what years did it serve Miles City?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17671) 15 years ago
I don't remember it but I believe it was called the Darcy Hospital.

- Dave
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12108) 15 years ago
The Darcy was one of several private hospitals in Miles City at one time or another. Mostly served for delivering babies. It was torn down when I was a kid but I know folks who remember having dancing lessons there when it was a private home. Now there are three houses (or is it four?) mid-century modern houses on the site. This second Darcy Hospital on Strevell. The original Darcy Hospital on S. Jordan (or was it S. Center?) still stands.

There was also the Darnall and the Abbey.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 8/14/2007).]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12108) 14 years ago
I just came across Eva Darcy Walsh's obituary in 1982. Her sister, Lillian, ran the Darcy from 1932 to 1943.
Posted by Chris Peterson (+169) 14 years ago
My parents told me to stay out of that old place. My oldest brother, Dennis, always called it the haunted house. We we too scared to ever go inside. It worked because we stayed out of that old house. Remember that record album, the guy sitting on a branch sawing away until you hear the blood curtling scream as he realizes he had the wrong pearch? The house on the cover always reminded me of that place.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 14 years ago
Amorette,
Do you have any more information on the first Darcy that you mentioned? Any photos of any of them?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12108) 14 years ago
SInce the first Darcy is still standing, getting a picture is no problem. I can't remember the address offhand but I can get it for you when I'm at the office.
Posted by Nancy Wallick (+63) 14 years ago
That is what we called it 'DARCY HOSPITAL'. Thank you. I did not know there were others. That would be great to see a photo of the one still standing. I am wondering Chris how Dennis knew it was haunted, I bet he climbed around in there. Stuart Brown told me he climbed around in there, I wonder who was with him....
Posted by Chris Peterson (+169) 14 years ago
I wouldn't be suprised if it was a dare from Leif Ronning or John Fairbanks that got Dennis to go inside. I am fairly certain it wasnt Paul that went in with Stu. Most likely Jim Schmitz or maybe Mark.
Posted by Eileen K Darcy (Bartelson) (+12) 9 years ago
Hi, I am Eileen K Darcy, daughter of Eileen L Darcy, whose adopted mother was Lillie Darcy who ran the Darcy Hospital in the early 1900's. I have very little info about the Darcy's as my mother's birth mother Katy Darcy died in aprox 1918 and I know nothing about her father John Darcy. My mother Eileen Lillian Elizabeth Darcy. born 04-08-13 told me she had a sister, I believe born in aprox 1915 named Emma Darcy, my mother never saw her after their adopted mother died in aprox 1930. I was told of an Uncle Joe, who was blind, and died when my mother was a young girl. I had no relatives other than my mother, no grandparents, no aunts, uncles, no nieces, nephews, no brothers or sisters...etc. My mother Eileen passed away on 04-04-93. Any info about the Darcys of Miles City and or any pictures and or addresses of the Old Darcy Hospital would be so appreciated. Eileen K Darcy (Bartelson) at
[email protected]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10103) 9 years ago
Not the best photo. . . .
Posted by Shirley Ryan (+12) 9 years ago
Remembering the Darcy Hospital. Our family's 4 children were all born there from 1935 to 1942. It was operated by Eva Walsh, a nurse, and her husband, Mike Walsh. It was a beautiful old home and the Walshes lived in the front main level and the rooms for the new mothers, as well as the delivery room and sunporch, were on the second floor. I believe Dr. Sadie Lindberg sent most of her patients (expectant mothers) to this hospital. In 1948, when our family moved back to Miles City, we rented the whole second floor. It had been turned into an apartment house - 3 apartments on the main floor, one on the second, one on the third, and one in the basement. It was owned and run then by Grovanna Bradshaw. Yes, it did take up an entire block and our address there was 710 South Strevelle.
Posted by Janet K. Klein (+89) 7 years ago
Eileen Darcy Bartelson...would you be able to give us any information on who built the Darcy hospit and when? Any information on this building would be of interest to me. We are doing a horse drawn ride to the cemetery in September and we would like to visit about the old hospital and is's past. Thank you so much for your help....Janet K. Klein