Sex Ed Opportunity - Let's Talk Month
Posted by Custer Co. Public Health (+3) 8 years ago
October is Let's Talk Month. Custer County Public Health would like to take this opportunity to encourage parents of pre-teens & teens to start if you haven't already and continue conversations at home about sex and sexual health.
Custer County District High School is hosting a presentation by Pam Stenzel entitled "Sex Has a Price Tag". High School students will hear her message on Friday October 11th at 9:00 a.m. in the high school auditorium and Middle School/surrounding schools will hear her at 10:30 a.m. Pam Stenzel delivers what SIECUS (Sexuality Information Education Council of the United States) refers to as "A Fear-Based Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage" message.
Parents are welcome to attend and we urge you to do so. If you would like to view her presentation it can be accessed on YouTube by searching: Pam Stenzel Sex Has a Price Tag. Conversations about sex & sexual health can be difficult and uncomfortable so please use this opportunity to have that conversation at home.
Some other resources for parents are available at http://www.advocatesforyouth.org. Visit our website at http://www.custercountypublichealth.org or feel free to call Custer County Public Health at 874-3377 and schedule a time to visit with a Public Health Nurse in our Title X Family Planning Clinic. Public Health Nurses are available to offer confidential services to teens and services for parents and their teen or teens. Public Health Nurses focus on several subject areas with teens, including: Encouraging Family Involvement, Abstinence, Sexual Coersion, Healthy Relationships, the dangers of Alcohol/Drug Use and decision making, Self-Image/Self-Respect, Sexually Transmitted Infection's/HIV, Contraception and Reproductive Life Planning.

Custer County Public Health
210 S. Winchester, Suite 263
Miles City, MT 59301
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9191) 8 years ago
A wonderful use of what I assume are the school districts limited funds.

I bet Dr. Rauh gave his presentation for free...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
Nothing like some lies and misinformation to help kids make important decisions.
Posted by MeiMei (+167) 8 years ago
Bridged I think maybe it is not being paid for by school district funds since it appears to be sponsored by the public health dept. (hosted by CCDHS).
Posted by Custer Co. Public Health (+3) 8 years ago
This Presentation is NOT sponsored by the County Health Department. If there are questions regarding this presentation they should be addressed to Jamie Ogolin at CCDHS 234-4920. Custer County Health Department is simply sharing information about this presentation and what services we offer. We are promoting Let's Talk Month as we very much encourage parents to engage in these conversations with their children.
Posted by MeiMei (+167) 8 years ago
Thanks for the correction.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 8 years ago
I think it is an excellent of school funds. Kudos to Jamie. Parents of teens should be grateful To the school for helping them with their job.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17044) 8 years ago
That's right, boys, if you have sex before marriage your penis will fall off. How do I know this? My big brother Chuck told me all about it.
supporter
That's right, boys, if you have sex before marriage your penis will fall off.

Somehow, I doubt that the boys will be the ones to whom this lecture is targeted.
Posted by Jesse Smith (+423) 8 years ago
founder
founder
I forgot to mention that that was a recording of my big brother Chuck after he did a shorts check about 40-some years ago. Poor guy.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3677) 8 years ago
I just watched this woman on youtube. Sorry folks but this is the sort of sex education best viewed on Fox News or at a fundamentalist church.
supporter
"If God hadn't wanted you to touch it, he'd have put it in the middle of your back"
Posted by Mandi (+351) 8 years ago
I am definatley not the religious sort, but i had the priveledge of hearing this woman speak at the Pregnancy Outreach Clinic fundraiser. She is very informed and intelligent. An excellent speaker, give her a chance. But expect to here the abstinence ring speech! Always good to hear all sides!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2495) 8 years ago
Good point, Mandi...
Always good to hear all sides!

So with that in mind, what is the "other side" speaker being offered by the School?? If this is the "Fear-Based Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage" message, where and when can students hear the school-funded program of "Here's How to Make Wise, Educated, Safe Choices as a Young Adult Without Fear-Mongering" message.

One would hope both sides are being offered.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 8 years ago
Nearly every parent wants the best for their kids, which should mean that they want their kids to have a great and satisfying sex life. Where is THAT message in our society? Where is the reality that says and encourages responsible and healthy sexual relationships amoung our youth? It seems to me that the Fear-Based Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage approach is responsible for a lot of broken relationships amoung adults. As Hannah suggests, we need a different message.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (10/12/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 8 years ago
Or, perhaps, a massage?
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+763) 8 years ago
I think we tried that once, it was called the 70's. Now it's all about what's "okay". Yee haw.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 8 years ago
Sorry Jeff, but all we've tried is Fear-Based Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage. There was no healthy sex positive message in the 70's.
supporter
Now it's all about what's "okay"

Again...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
For 10,000 years, parents have been telling kids to stop having sex until their parents say they can have sex. For 10,000 years, kids have been ignoring parents. I don't know why any generation thinks they are going to succeed where previous ones have failed. Even in periods of history and culture when sex outside of marriage faced grave consequences, people were having sex outside of marriage.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (10/13/2013)]