Sound on gateway laptop is almost gone
Posted by Busypeople (+131) 8 years ago
I can barely hear sound on my Gateway laptop. Would I need a new sound card? I tried installing a new update and that didn't work. I have tried external speakers and they do not work either. Any advice??
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+670) 8 years ago
I will hook up my laptop to our tv via HDMI and every now and then I have to go into control panel to select the sound source. Either "Speakers and Headhones" (how it is listed in my computer... OR "HDMI Sound"...

Usually it is automatic for my computer to know what is going on as it will switch sound sources once I connect or disconnect the hdmi cable.

When it doesn't play sound on my computer after I disconnect the hdmi it is silent of course, and I have to go into Control Panel to make the switch.

Maybe something like that happened to you? Either way, go into Control Panel and check there if you haven't already.

[This message has been edited by SeptyTwo (10/4/2013)]
Thank you for your hints. I have already searched control panel and speaker properties and all levels of Volume mixer; playback devices; sounds, etc. Nothing is muted, all levels of strength are on high and when I use the 'test' buttons there is a loud enough sound. But I cannot listen to music or hear conversations on Skype. I just went to itunes and I can preview songs but they are not very loud and the sound does not come through the attached speaker only the laptop speakers.
Oh dear, what can the matter be?????
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 8 years ago
First off, How old is the laptop? Second, if it is an older laptop you likely have a failing sound card. You cannot replace it, however you can get an external USB soundcard to restore sound. But, depending on the age of the laptop, it may be worth investing into a new machine if that is an option. If not, here is a cheap but powerful USB Soundcard with THX Sound from Creative.

http://www.amazon.com/Cre...rid_pt_0_1

At my current job, we are purchasing the more expensive version of this, as the soundcard on the motherboard is failing and we do not wish to replace our brand new computer.
The laptop is about 3 yrs old. I appreciate the information you have provided. I may buy the device you suggested.

Thanks to all here who have replied with information. We have nice people here that are willing to help others with their problems.

Sincerely,