I won't have the complete official stats until Monday, but I have a few preliminary tidbits for everyone.
- With the win, the Cowboys avoided losing consecutive games to Hardin for the just second time in the series history (2006-07). Miles City has dominated the series, having won 29 of 34 contests since their first meeting in 1979.
- The Cowboys have now scored at least 40 points in three straight games for the first time since weeks 6-8 in the 2010 season.
- I can't yet verify it, but to my knowledge, Ben Herzog is the first Cowboy player to record touchdowns by rushing, passing and receiving in the same game (the list of Cowboys with rushing, passing and receiving touchdowns in the same season
is very short - Jeremy Pyle in 1997, Alec Haughian in 2012, and now Herzog).
- What I can verify is that Herzog is the first Cowboy player with at least five touchdowns scored in three consecutive games. Having accounted for five touchdowns against Livingston and a team record-tying six against Havre, Herzog had been tied with Haughian (vs. Dickinson and Havre in 2012) as the only Cowboy quarterbacks to accomplish such a feat in back-to-back contests.
- With another five scores on Friday, Herzog has accounted for 16 touchdowns this year: four passing, 11 rushing and one receiving - all coming in the last three weeks. He now has 50 total touchdowns for his career, a new CCDHS record. Herzog has passed for a team record 31 TDs and has rushed for 18, good for a tie with Gary Lucas (1981-83) for fifth-best by a quarterback in Cowboy history. Shane Cooley (2009-10) holds the career QB record with 29 rushing TDs.
- Herzog's 11 rushing touchdowns in 2013 place him in a tie with Travis Rauh (1993) for the seventh-most such scores in a single season by a QB. Cooley holds the record with 15 in 2010.
- With 227 rushing yards, Herzog ran for the ninth-most yards in CCDHS history and set a new mark for QBs, breaking Pat Regan's mark of 219 yards, set against Sidney in 2005.
- Herzog has rushed for 426 yards over the last two games, giving him the most rushing yards in consecutive contests since Kelly Strobel had 455 against Laurel (213) and Billings Central (242) in 1990. Strobel holds the Cowboy record for most yards in consecutive games with 463 yards (312 vs. Glasgow followed by 151 vs. Hardin) in 1990.
- Herzog now has 1,339 career rushing yards, placing him 17th in CCDHS history. He is one yard behind Matt Gittings (1,340 yards rushing from 2001-02) for fourth among quarterbacks.
If there's anything else of note that I can find after the official stats are run in the Star, I will post them on here. In the meantime, enjoy your weekly Ben Herzog-is-playing-out-of-his-mind fix.