Posted by korky II (+608) 8 years ago
Why don't they print some thing about horse events, Why it's always sports
You never hear about the scoring of the horse and rider.
Posted by ocne (+477) 8 years ago
Which 'horse events' are you referring to?

The Star seems to regularly publish articles about the MCC rodeo team with results from their rodeos - fact, there was just an article about them in the Star earlier this week. And its not out of the realm to see the occasional article about local HS rodeo kids, and the BarrelDaze barrel racing and Ranch Rodeo events each summer.

What else is there...?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
If no one gives the information to the Star, it makes it very hard to print it. It is amazing how many events we find out about well after the fact.
supporter
Posted by Sharlys (+207) 8 years ago
While on the subject, what is the policy for the Star's coverage of high school sports? Is it up to Josh to attend and take down info for articles or do stats/info have to be provided to the Star in order for an article to be done? Coverage of high school softball has been VERY MARGINAL in the past and if info needs to given to the Star to get some recognition for the team, then we will get right on it!

[This message has been edited by Sharlys (9/20/2013)]

[This message has been edited by Sharlys (9/20/2013)]
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 8 years ago
High school sports generally don't happen in bars or taverns, Sharlys. Until they do, don't expect world-class coverage from the Star.
Posted by Jade S (+152) 8 years ago
There was fantastic coverage in the Star about our local athlete, Savannah Stacey.

Being her mom, I'm a bit biased. I own it.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 8 years ago
Hi, Sharlys.

I provide the Miles City Star with stats for both JV and Varsity softball games for CCDHS. After seeing your comment, I checked my newspaper clippings quickly, and find articles for preseason coverage, both Laurel games, both Billings Central games, both Hardin games, Sidney and the Laurel tournament. There was no Jamboree this year due to the weather, so no coverage on that one.

If you private message me with your concerns, i.e. what you would like to see from future articles, I will pass that information along to Josh when I forward him the stats next season.

Thank you!
Posted by Jan Cornutt (+275) 8 years ago
What about the horse cutters and the futurity horse.
Can't the star go out there, they just sit around.
Posted by ocne (+477) 8 years ago
Do the organizers of those events contact the Star? Seems like a lot of the time when the cutting, at least, is going on in town no one knows about it. I, for one, usually try to take in the cutting but the last couple years I didn't even know about it until after it was over.

The Fairgrounds rarely posts events taking place there on their billboard, at least not consistently. And seems like there isn't a lot of advertisement for some things, so maybe the Star doesn't even know about them.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
Exactly.
Posted by minx987 (+3) 8 years ago
Give the guy a break. He works really hard (for about an hour a day) copying and pasting other people's work.
supporter
Posted by Sharlys (+207) 8 years ago
Denise, you are right. When I looked back I also found several articles from this last year. I think my memory was taking me back to the first couple of years when softball started and there was little coverage.

Great job on providing all of that info to the Star, even though you are not an employee! Keep up the good work and know that us softball parents really appreciate all the effort you put into it!
Posted by JJC (+77) 8 years ago
I was wondering about little league baseball- until I saw that the 10 year olds made regionals, there was rarely a word about any game from t-ball to babe ruth. It's really said that our local paper doesn't cover much for local sports. And the pictures are usually blurry, if at all.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 8 years ago
This has been going on for decades. When my child, Throckmorton Netherton, was a local sports stalwart, nary a word of his sporting exploits were covered.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 8 years ago
Alas, we long for the Spearmintin' on Sports days.

FH
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 8 years ago
to Frank H!