supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 8 years ago
Here in Helena, cats are supposed to be on leashes if they leave their property.

Does Miles City have a cat leash law?

Last night while I am watching the Iggles game, I hear a knock on the door. I get up and answer it.

A woman at the door asks, "Do you own a yellow cat?"

I look over in the kitchen, spy my toothless cat, and pick him up. "Yes I do. This yellow cat."

She says, "It has been lying in street in front of my house. Teenagers go whizzing by real fast all the time. I'm afraid its going to get run over."

I reply, "Well, it is a cat. Not much I can do about that."

She says, "You do know there is a leash law for cats."

I reply, "Yes I do. But its hard to keep a cat inside a fence. Is it bothering you?"

Now the truth comes out. "Well...." she says, "it's an awfully nice cat, but it has been killing all of my little creatures...bunnies, chipmunks, squirrels."

I tell her, "Sorry about that. Could you squirt him with the garden hose when you see him? One of my neighbors did that for a few times, and it quit going into his yard."

She then goes off on how she doesn't want to be mean to the cat, but some people build runs for cat on their property, and yada yada yada.

I am afraid the toothless cat is doomed to be picked up by the Helena equivalent of Brian Certain.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1915) 8 years ago
Every time I see a cat leash law, I laugh. Talk about apples and oranges. The behavior of cats and dogs is SO different but people who love dogs and hate cats come up with this bizarre equivalency. My neighbors cat kills all the mice and bunnies (who are cute but eat what little grass I have in my weed patch) and I deal with it. 'Tis Mother Nature at work.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9178) 8 years ago
Cats are a plague.

I would almost support a no limit cat hunting season like they do with feral hogs, for any cat found outside and off their owner's property.

http://theoatmeal.com/com...ually_kill
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 8 years ago
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1806) 8 years ago
While I must confess I prefer the self-absorbed aloofness of cats to the insatiable neediness of Mans Best Friend, I had to laugh at the link Bridgier posted! Oh, so true!

Before we broke down and had a special cat-proof fence installed, mine would purposely harass an ex-neighbor by circling her house while she ran after them with a broom! They'd wait at each corner to make sure she was still 'playing the game'. If she hadn't been such a miserable female dog, I would have felt bad about upsetting her.

Bridgier: Next time you're in town, my nephew and I are going to have to set you straight on the whole cat issue!
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3209) 8 years ago
This whole Thread is a "Hoot" starting with the toothless yellow cat on down. Animals add a lot to our lives:-) Thanks!
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1806) 8 years ago
We also had joint custody of an outdoor BLIND cat! This fearless soul roamed about a 4 block area, and was fascinating to watch as he followed his 'landmarks'.

Yes, he did frequently kill mice, birds and rabbits. Know what? If a BLIND CAT can catch you..perhaps your time was up!
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+478) 8 years ago
Actually Helena has a loose pet law. My cat was trapped by animal control 2 years ago. She told me even if you have a turtle running loose off your proerty you are in violation. Total costs for fine, release from animal shelter etc $183.00. Keep an eye on those pet rocks.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1915) 8 years ago
My boys were both strays and once they got inside, refused to go out again. Once in while, one of them gets out on the patio, then drops to his belly and scuttles back inside. I would have to toss them out with some force to make them 'outside cats.' And then they would at the door begging for re-admittance.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3209) 8 years ago
Our neighbor cat, Wilson, exercised his eminent domain rights and now reigns over both his and our backyards. So easy to like him:-) I notice he has a few friends who drop in too. Cats have a certain air about them, it seems.
Posted by redmondroughneck (+72) 8 years ago
You know cats taste a lot like chicken when they are barbecued.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+758) 8 years ago
On the flip side, barbequed redmondroughnecks taste like crap.
Posted by redmondroughneck (+72) 8 years ago
There is a new cook book out that you might enjoy. "101 Ways to Wok a Cat".
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9178) 8 years ago
supporter
Posted by JCF (+391) 8 years ago
Cats are voracious killers of songbirds. There should be an open season on cats, just like coyotes.
Posted by LisaC (+24) 8 years ago
The way I see it is, if you want to let your animal (cat or dog) roam around free, get into ppls garbages (that yes have lids on them but they seem to get into them anyway), ruin others lawns, gardens with their peeing and pooping, etc, etc. Then I should be able to take my animal to your house and return the unwanted favor. I am tired of picking up after other ppls animals in my own yard! I am tired of opening my windows to smell the fresh air but only smelling cat pee coming from my gardens. I keep my animals in MY yard, when they are not in MY yard, they are on a lesh.

[This message has been edited by LisaC (9/12/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 8 years ago
I think there is, JCF. There have been more than a few complaints on this site of neighbors catching and killing cats and there is really nothing that can be done except for the complainant being told to keep their cats indoors. I have a cat and enjoy her company and there is only one way I can assure she doesn't kill a lazuli bunting or become road grime. House cats are no more part of the natural cycle of life than power lines or truck grills.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (9/12/2013)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 8 years ago
I am tired of opening my windows to smell the fresh air but only smelling cat pee coming from my gardens.

You sure you aren't smelling Simcoe hops growing in your garden? (that's an insiders joke to the homebrewers)
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 8 years ago
It's probably the juniper bush (or weed).