Cowboys vs. Havre
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6024) 8 years ago
Just a few random tidbits in preparation for the Cowboys' game tonight against Havre. I'm sorry for not posting anything sooner, but I've been under the weather. Enjoy!

Havre's sophomore quarterback Dane Warp had the most prolific passing season by a freshman in Class A history. In 2012, Warp completed 167 of 260 passes for 2837 yards, 30 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. The only Class A quarterback to have ever passed for more yards or touchdowns in a single season was fellow Blue Pony Gary Wagner, who passed for 2893 yards and 36 TDs during Havre's undefeated 2004 season.

Most of Warp's weapons from last season have graduated, including Zach Plum (48 catches for 1117 yards and 9 touchdowns in 2012) and Thurman Holdsclaw (91-573-3 rushing, 51-848-11 receiving), but Thomas Gruber is back this year. Gruber had a pair of 100-yard receiving games last season, including a 7-102-2 performance in Havre's 35-14 loss to the Cowboys.

Warp found Gruber six times for 121 yards and a score in the Blue Ponies' season-opening 45-27 loss to Whitefish last week. Warp finished with 19-28-323-2-2 passing and a career-high 56 yards rushing. Despite the impressive offensive showing, Havre allowed 344 yards on defense and a pair of touchdowns on special teams.

Miles City owns a 7-2 record all-time against Havre, including five consecutive victories. The Blue Ponies' last win against the Cowboys was in the 2002 semifinals, when Havre advanced to the state championship game with a 19-12 win at Blue Pony Stadium.

The Cowboys have averaged nearly 43 points per contest against Havre since the start of the 2010 season, including a 54-26 victory in the first round of the 2010 playoffs.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (9/6/2013)]
Posted by CRK (+116) 8 years ago
Is there anyone broadcasting the game? Where can I get it?
http://www.kojm.com

The game is tied, 6-6 at the half. There is a 30-minute lightning delay.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 8 years ago
Thunder! Huh-how-wowa-wuh...Thunder! Thunder! Huh-how-wowa-wuh...Thunder! Thunder! Huh-how-wowa-wuh...Thunder! Thunder! Huh-how-wowa-wuh...Thunder!
Posted by D. Matzen (+158) 8 years ago
Has the game been called or is there another delay?
Still delayed.
Game got called. 6-6 tie. One half played.
KTVQ's Casey Conlon stated that the game won't count in the standings, but I'm unsure how he came to that determination.

According to the MHSA's handbook, Rule 1(9) is as follows:

"Contests interrupted because of events beyond the control of the responsible school administrative authority shall be continued from the point of interruption, unless the teams agree to terminate the contest with the existing score. Regular season contests continued from the point of interruption must be rescheduled before playoff competition begins. Playoff contests continued from the point of interruption must be rescheduled before the next playoff contest. Schools unable to mutually agree on contest dates must contact the MHSA office for a determination."

I don't see there being a possibility of continuing the game, so the game will be recorded as a tie. I am unsure why the game wouldn't count in the standings, though.

In case anyone is wondering, the last time the Cowboys finished a game in a tie was in 1965.
Posted by Its Me (+188) 8 years ago
As a kid in 1978, I remember being at the Tedesco Park playing baseball when the hail storm came in. I was there without any family or ride home, and had to start walking just before the hail hit. That storm did so much damage around town. A car stopped and let me in and we sat next to Denton field until the storm passed. In giving me a ride home, we had to back track many streets in order to find a way around all the downed limbs and trees.

I am glad they decided to suspend the game in Havre. Taking a tie is a small penalty to take to insure someones safety. 6 - 6 is surely better than someone possibly being hurt by lightning.

Congrats to the Cowboys for the tie. I sure hope it helps make up for the loss last week.

Once a Cowboy Fan, always a Cowboy Fan.
Go Cowboys.

I can't wait for the 1st home game.