founder
Posted by Chad (+1769) 14 years ago
I read in last nights Star that there was a bobcat in someones yard on the east edge of town. The City animal control officer couldn't get it out of the tree it ran up. He called Montana FWP. They couldn't get it out of the tree either. So they shot it.

What the Hell kind of thinking is that? Let the damned thing be and it will climb down and be on its merry way. What is the point in shooting it? Bobcats are not real social cats. They seek out privacy and prefer to be away from people. I would think a 6-9 month old bobcat was seeking his own range and wandered into town- I seriously doubt if he was going to set up camp here.

Way to take care of our wildlife.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 14 years ago
Americans have a god-given Constitutional right to shoot anything that moves, don't you know that?
Posted by Jay (+274) 14 years ago
Had the same thing take place in Billings not long ago. Same results. Then the cat was put into a plastic bag and tossed into a dumpster. Prior to that, the same thing happened to a Cub Bear that wandered out of the Pryor Mtns. That also enjoys thanks to the FWPs.By the way, I have nothing against trapping and huntings, but this kind of activity just doesn't wash.
Posted by deer_slayer (+480) 14 years ago
The Fish and Game guys that shot the bobcat were probably GRIZ fans. If the pelt is available, I would like it to parade around with in November.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 14 years ago
Ned, it's coming right for us!
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1503) 14 years ago
Hi, Could be they thought it posed a rabies threat.
Posted by TK (+1628) 14 years ago
That just isn't right. There aren't many bobcats around anymore as too many people are hunting/trapping them for their fur. Miles City is a small town, literally rural. Deer wander into town and you don't (can't!) shoot them--Besides, to me, a bobcat isn't that big of a deal considering I live on a ranch and we have a bobcat around; not to mention the mountain lion issue, too.....Now to me, the mountain lion may have just cause of being shot in town! Especially if kids are around; but I digress.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1769) 14 years ago
Every bobcat I've run into has done everything it could to get away from people. I think this one ran up a tree to get away and ended up cannon fodder. I doubt it was foaming at the mouth or acting anything but defensive and scared.
Posted by deer_slayer (+480) 14 years ago
all joking aside...I agree that they shouldn't have killed it. They should have left it alone and checked the area for the next few days to make sure it wasn't hanging around.

On the bright side...the fact that one ended up in town tells me that there are more bobcats out there than people realize...which makes me think about th upcoming Colorado Bobcat season...Dec. 1st through Jan. 31st...If anyone has a good hunting strategy for hunting bobcats. let me know.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 14 years ago
They'll come to you, Slayer. And when they do, cap 'em!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 14 years ago
Slayer: I am surprized you didn't suggest using "grizzlies" as part of your bobcat hunting strategey.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 14 years ago
***-DANGER - BOBCAT HUNTING SPOILER ALERT - DANGER-***

1. Wait until darkness - preferably later than midnight.

2. Poor some garbage on the ground and sit quietly.

3. If you see or hear anything near your garbage, shoot it.

4. Collect dead bobcats. (There might be other stuff too. If you got a homeless person, remove their left thumb. They are smarter than bobcats and their precious left thumb helps them get rides.)

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 8/4/2007).]
Posted by Chad Collins (+135) 14 years ago
Could be worse...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20145084/

Stray bullet kills boy fishing in Oklahoma

NOBLE, Okla. - A police officer shooting at a snake apparently killed a 5-year-old boy who was fishing at a nearby pond, officials said.

Austin Haley was fishing with his grandfather, Jack Tracy, when Tracy said he heard a shot and saw something hit the water just a few feet in front of the boat dock where he was standing.

Moments later, a second shot hit Austin in the head.

A Noble police officer who had responded to a report of a snake in a tree apparently fired the deadly shot while trying to kill the snake on Friday, City Manager Bob Wade said.

"I was told that they tried several ways to get the snake down, but it was still hissing at them and firmly lodged," Wade said. "What I was told is that the owner of the home either suggested or agreed that they should go ahead and shoot the snake, and then everything happened from there."

Tracy thought someone must be trying to kill him and his grandson, so he put the child on the back of a 4-wheeler and drove to his daughter's house about 200 yards away.

"Then two officers came out of the brush over there," he told The Oklahoman. "They didn't tell us they were the ones who had been shooting or that they had shot him. They didn't admit a doggone thing."

The boy was pronounced dead at an Oklahoma City hospital, about 25 miles north of Noble.

Officer under investigation
Wade refused to identify the officer but said the person had been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

"This is so bizarre it has to be fully investigated," he said. "We're pretty sure circumstantially that it is the bullet from the police officer's gun, but it might be a bullet from someone else."

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown said a state investigation was under way, though it appeared the fatal shot had been fired by the officer.

Tracy has little doubt. "I'm not saying the cop shot him on purpose," he said. "But let me tell you - if I had a kid and put him in this car and didn't put him in a car seat and he got killed on the way to town, they'd charge me with murder ... and what this cop did is a lot worse than that."
Posted by Sherri (+20) 14 years ago
Why not just tranquilize the cat and take it out to the hills somewhere.
Posted by Dawn Dee Stirling (+34) 14 years ago
In the past I had a similar thought that these wild animals, or even vicious animals, which are difficult or impossible to capture could be tranquilized. At the time, none of the local law enforcement agencies Miles City Police Department (employs Animal Control Officer), Custer County Sheriff's Office, Drug Task Force (why would they but thought it was an interesting idea), Highway Patrol, nor the Fish, Wildlife & Parks departments have access locally to a tranquilizer gun. I was told that there is a gun in Billings which can be requested for use if it is available (time, cost, travel, etc.). This was several months if not over a year ago, but that was what I understood at that time. I did ask the question what would it take for one of the agencies to purchase or all of the agencies to share the purchase of a weapon(s) for use in animal control situations (and include whatever training necessary), but I don't know the result. Does anyone else know the current status? I would prefer animals be spared death when possible and also to keep surrounding areas and people safe from shooting firearms at animals when the animal could be tranquilized at least initially and then taken care of in whatever way is deemed best, later, after the danger to the community and animal has ceased. Any updates or additional thoughts???
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 14 years ago
Bobcats are not endangered, and usually a wild predator that starts coming in around people will become a problem (killing pets and chickens and such). People hunt bobcats all the time for sport and fur and I don't see people complaining about it. I don't see anything wrong with local officials dealing with such an animal in the most efficient way possible and "just tranquilizing it" isn't as easy as it sounds.

Something similar actually happened recently in San Francisco when two coyotes were shot in Golden Gate Park. You can imagine the fuss *that* caused. I said at the time that if this had happened in Montana no one would have thought twice about it but apparently I was wrong.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (edited 8/7/2007).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10030) 14 years ago
This guy paid us a visit about a week ago. While he was here, a Trooper raced up to the house, loaded for bear (so to speak). But the Trooper wasn't ambitious enough to get out of his truck and walk around to the front of the house where the bear was at that particular moment. I didn't see that the bear needed to die just for passing through the neighborhood - so I pointed down the road and told the Trooper "he went that away" and the bear dodged the bullet (so to speak).

After the Trooper was gone and I got a snapshot or two of the bear, I (and Kids, don't try this at home) chucked a rock at it with my shepherd's sling and yelled . . . and it took off through the woods at a gallop.

It's a fair sized bear so I suppose if it comes back and actually causes problems, we'll have to have the Trooper take it out.

Posted by Elizabeth Stewart (+28) 14 years ago
I think its sick to shoot or kill anything! Come on the bobcat couldnt have been causing any harm. and even if it posed a rabies threat i hardly think it would go around attacking people.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>> even if it posed a rabies threat i hardly think it would go around attacking people.

Do you have some research to go with that? If you have time to share the data, I'd really be interested in seeing the supporting citations or links.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 14 years ago
A rabid animal will attack most anything in sight as they are out of their mind and not acting rationally. I was attacked as a child by an animal very badly and the first thing they did was check for rabies and I had to go thru the rabies treatments (very unpleasant). Also since that is how rabies is spread, it is quite dangeous and so you have to put down the animal.
founder
supporter
sponsor
I saw a rabid heifer many years ago - damn that was a spooky thing to see. I don't think I would have made any predictions on what it would or would not have done.

I recently read about a rabid bull walrus that was killed many years back some distance from here - I can't even begin to imagine what that must have looked like.

Rabies seem more common here than in Montana. From what I've read fox sometimes act as a reservoir for the disease here, somewhat the way skunks do in Montana. Sometimes foxes infect wolves. There's been a couple documented cases this fall and winter of rabid wolves coming into villages and attacking dogs - but then wolves eat dogs every winter it seems whether or not they're rabid. But I suppose it's the uncertain nature of how a rabid animal will behave that has folks a bit more concerned than usual.

The presence of rabies in wolves got me to wondering if and/or how often the disease might be passed to brown bears. Wolves and bears sometimes mix it up when they fight over a carcass, so I suppose it's possible. But I've yet to see any documentation on bears.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 14 years ago
A rabid brown bear isn't something I would want any first hand experience with hehe. Scary thought.
Posted by wayne george (+14) 14 years ago
http://math.cofc.edu/kunkle/boy.html

http://www.wildraven.net/....php?p=579

http://www.aces.edu/depar...001581.php

http://www.floridaconserv...Wilder.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19332095/

I like the last one, You the man if you can strangle a Bobcat !!!

W/ that I once got to be face to face approx 8' from a brown bear in the Big Sky area. All I had was my fishing pole which I gladly left in the creek w/ the bear. Who @ the moment seemed more concerned w/ the berry bush that was between us. But I was worried that the odd smell from my drawers would attract her. I retrieved to pole later.
Posted by Steve Allison (+974) 14 years ago
My 2 cents about bobcats comes from a friend's experience when I was a child, in other words some time around the dawn of time,. Two adult Fish and Game wordens, that was the department name then, were netting a bobcat to capture and relocate it. One had his side of the net slip from his fingers. The bobcat escaped and being a bit pissed off, tore into the other man, the family friend. This man ended up in the hospital for about a month from the damage the bobcat did to him. They may look like a slightly big house cat but they are all mussel and mean when you are up close and personal with one. Keeping one from getting this way with children and pets sounds like a good idea to me.
Posted by MollieP (+129) 14 years ago
I would have to agree with Levi...bobcats can be very dangerous, they kill other cats, and when cornered are very vicious. They also do not relocate well.
supporter
Posted by Van (+563) 14 years ago
Bobcats are conservative and are opposed to gay marriage. We should shoot them.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 14 years ago
It's evident that these terrorist attacks by wildlife are becoming more frequent. Invade Iran!