Small Beebe family in Miles City: 1893-1919?
Posted by Cecilia L. Fabos-Becker (+4) 12 years ago
I'm looking for information about what happened to George Franklin Beebe, his wife Rose F. Beebe and one of their children, Leroy E. Beebe. George was born in Kentucky (but lived most of his pre-adult life in Illinois) April 4, 1867. He married Rose F. Dodd(?) b. January, 1873 in Iowa, in Colorado. They moved to Miles City, in Custer County, Montana, soon after that. They were on the 1900 census there in Ward 2 of the town. George apparently died within a couple of years after the birth of his younger son, Oliver K. Beebe in 1901. He and his wife also had a daughter (?--I'm questioning this given the dates, but Oliver K. Beebe is listed as "brother in law" to James B. Campbell. Twyla M. is the only wife I can find for him, and only on the 1920 census. I couldn't find him for certain in 1910. Twyla died between 1920 and 1925, and James moved the family to Missoula where in 1930 he was living, along with his brother-in-law, Oliver K. Beebe and Oliver's family. I think there were several tragic deaths in too short a period of time in Miles City for these folks to bear.

I think that George Franklin Beebe died about 1902-3, and his wife Rose and older son Leroy died in the influenza pandemic of 1918-1919. I suspect daughter (?) Twyla sometimes might have gone by, or been called by, her other name (whatever the middle initial "M" stood for) until she married and this is why I can't find her easily. Also she might have been living with her mother's family for a few years until her parents felt they were established--and that Miles City was. This kind of thing happened in the Beebe family. Just when you thought a couple of children died, oops, they're in the records again--they were just being cared for awhile by an aunt and uncle or grandparents while Mom and Dad moved, so they wouldn't miss school or something. Whatever the reason, Twyla, as some kind of relative to Oliver K. Beebe, according to two census records, did exist and was married to James B. Campbell and the marriage probably occurred in Miles City. I suspect Twyla also died in Custer County, possibly in or as a result of an unexpected later and problem child birth, or an accident of some kind. I'm sure the youngest child, Norma M. Campbell, born in February, 1908, at least, of the children was hers, because Oliver has a child with virtually the same name, but I don't know about the rest. Then Twyla disappeared after 1920 in the records, herself.

If Twyla was Oliver Beebe's sister, she was born in 1890/1. Her parents were married in 1889/90 according to the 1900 census. She would have been a second wife and only mother of the youngest child or two. I just don't know. This is the last segment of my husband's very frustrating extended Beebe family we're trying to find to put together a family history of an odd branch that was one of only a few of a mostly Connecticut-New York family to have ever "gone South" of the Ohio River for awhile before returning north. Given the patterns of this family, I also have to wonder if George Franklin Beebe who died ca. 1902-03 didn't die accidentally or of illness but rather of "lead poisoning" with good cause for the person who employed the lead to end his life. Usually there was a reason for a male Beebe in this family to be "way out" west, south or where-ever from the rest of the family and more civilized society.

If anyone can shed any light on this little family group, and tell me how and when they died and where they are buried and who Twyla really was, and when she married James B. Campbell, it would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely, Cecilia L. Fabos-Becker, San Jose, CA
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+359) 12 years ago
Do you have information on George's brother Charles L. Beebe? I have some information on the Beebe family and will get it together for you.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9254) 12 years ago
Jack,

Do you know anything about the person (persons) that Beebe, MT (on Powderville Road) was named after?
founder
supporter
Roberta Cheney (Names on the Face of Montana) says it was named for Elizabeth Beebe, the first postmaster.

Oliver "Pal" Beebe, the son of Charles F. Beebe (from the above query) said it was named for his uncle. According to Hoopes (This Last West) there was a Clarence Beebe on Pumpkin Creek but that is not a name I know in the Beebe family. Hopefully the person who started this topic can help us out.

The Zook family has land near Beebe and I will check with them for more information.

There is also the Beebe Bottoms on the Missouri River that may now be under Fort Peck Lake. I have heard of them all my life but don't know where they were so will check that out also.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks Jack.

A genealogist posting here notes a connection between the folks at Beebe, MT, and Beebe Bottoms. If you follow the link watch out for all the popups - my blocker didn't catch them.

http://rosebudcounty.0catch.com/page7.html
founder
supporter
Hal--

The information that Betsy Beebe quotes in the query is from the Rosebud County history book and is the source I was using in quoting Pal Beebe. The Ferguson episode is suspect in that there was an identical incident in Rosebud County in 1890 with Hugh Boyle being killed by Indians who were butchering a beef. Pal may have remembered the story but not the name. He was only six when his father died.

I am waiting to hear from the person who started this query as to how much they know about the family. The more typing I can dodge the better. I can answer their question about Twyla, Rosa, and James LeRoy Beebe. There should be others in Miles that can as they all have relatives in town.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks once again Jack.

Drifting right along . . .

>>The Ferguson episode is suspect in that there was an identical incident in Rosebud County in 1890 with Hugh Boyle being killed by Indians who were butchering a beef.

I believe E.C. Abbott describes this incident in "We Pointed them North."
Posted by Cecilia L. Fabos-Becker (+4) 12 years ago
This part of the Beebe family has been difficult to sort out. There have been birth year errors in several census records of this family--and their spouses, that led to questions and confusion for years. So, what I'm presenting now is the result of a several researchers putting together family county state and federal records and finding the dates and data with the most records in agreement. Here's the results of considerable research and analysis of various contemporary documents.

George Franklin Beebe was the youngest surviving son of Charles Lemuel Beebe and Mary H. Hughes. Charles Lemuel Beebe was born in Madison County, New York in 1828 and his wife Mary, was born in Virginia, in 1832/3. Her father's name was very likely Thomas Hughes. They were married in Charles Town, Jefferson County, (West) Virginia, December 19, 1850, and continued to live in that city and county until about 1865. Between 1865 and about 1869, they hopped about between Ohio and Kentucky and finally ended up, by 1870 in Vandalia township, Fayette County, Illinois. I found the 1860 and 1870 census for this family and additional county records in Fayette and Kane counties, Illinois.

Just before 1880, Charles Lemuel Beebe (Sr.) and his wife moved to or near Kane County, Illinois. I have found no record for either of them after 1880, and in 1880, their two youngest children were living with their oldest brother James William Beebe in Fayette County. Then there were marriages for Charles Lemuel Beebe (Jr.) and his brother Thomas J. Beebe in Kane County, in the late 1880's. Charles Lemuel Beebe Jr. married Rosa Dodd January 1, 1888 in Kane County, IL; record no. 000/0000 05640. From this marriage Charles Jr. had a son named Franklin b. late 1888 or very early 1889.

This makes life really interesting since Charles' youngest brother George Franklin Beebe married a Rose F. Dodd in Colorado in 1889/90, according to combined census and other records. Yet the two Dodd families may or may not be related. Rose F. Dodd was born in Iowa in January 1873. Her parents: C.W. and Elizabeth Dodd were both born in Indiana. This Dodd family were in Boulder, Longmont County, Colorado in 1880.

I don't have anything on the parents of Rosa Dodd who married Charles Lemuel Beebe Jr. in Kane County, Illinois. They had one son, though Franklin, as above, who lived with his uncle Thomas J. Beebe and is listed as "nephew" in 1900 in Batavia, Kane County, Illinois. Charles Lemuel Beebe Jr. lost his first wife soon after the birth of his son and moved to Kaukauna, Outagamie County, Wisconsin. In 1905 (Wisconsin state census), Charles had married a second time, in 1900, to a Minnie ____ b. 1877 in Germany, and his son Frank had moved back in with them. In 1912, Charles and Minnie had a daughter whom they named "Quadine."

My husband descends from Thomas J. Beebe, the next older brother to Charles Lemuel Jr. and George Franklin. We have quite a bit on the Thomas J. Beebe line but from Thomas himself, we had only a little on his brothers and virtually nothing about his sisters and had to proceed from what we had.

Going back before Charles Lemuel Beebe Sr. and Mary H. Hughes: Charles Lemuel Beebe Sr. was born in Madison County, New York. His parents were James and Alathea Beebe and he had several siblings. The one known for certain was a sister who was about 2 years older than he was and died just before he left New York--Sarah, d. 1842 aged 17. The Madison County Beebes were pioneer settlers of that County just after the Revolution, when this county was formed out of forfeitures of the remains of the Iroquois nation (it had sided mostly with the English...) Prior to Madison County, New York, the family was from New London, Connecticut and had been among the founders of that city and area. This family is known as a "wild family"--going back to stories about witches and respectable Bible quoting squires with double lives as smugglers in the New London area. Charles Lemuel Beebe Sr.'s father was a farmer and a "joiner" (cabinet maker) of decent means in Sullivan, New York. His son leaving not just the county, but the state and region suggests there was some problem between Charles and his father and the community in which he had grown up. He wouldn't have been the first with these circumstances nor the last.

My husband's grandfather, Ellis Theodore Beebe, the oldest son of Thomas J. Beebe was a real gangster who worked for Al Capone and went to Leavenworth for his misspent young adult life--and died in Mountain Grove, Missouri--several hundred miles from his home and youth. He was also a bigamist. Let's just say his second wife, my husband's grandmother had several real good reasons to leave him and live in hiding for about 15 years or so, with her daughters being often separated from herself and each other, and being moved around several aunts' homes. Ellis' immediately younger brother Harrison Lemuel Beebe was little better and also was "encouraged" by family, as well as others, to leave the state and go far away as possible. His wife tired of his womanizing (his descendants lost count of how many illegitimate children he had), divorced him--and married the only law-abiding and stable one in the family--the youngest brother Ralph J. Beebe. You can imagine the initial surprise of finding the two brothers with wives of the same first name and wondering about that. Oh yes, and the father of this lot, Thomas J. Beebe, died of ULCERS in 1929 in Batavia, Kane County, IL--gee, imagine that!

As I said nothing about this branch of the Beebe family (descendants of Charles Lemuel Beebe Sr.) would surprise me any more (and I thought my Dark family North Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri was a piece of work...). Between us, my husband and I have several founding families of several states--and members of two of the most notorious gangs in U.S. history--the James and Younger gang (my Darks--their neighbors and cousins were the Youngers) and Al Capone (my husband's Beebes.) So, I wouldn't be surprised if George Franklin Beebe got himself killed for good reason in Montana--and likewise would not be surprised if it turned out to be a shirt-tail relative of mine that did it, and then got HIMSELF hung or something.

The children of Charles Lemuel Beebe (Sr.) and Mary H. Hughes were: Mary Jane Beebe b. 1851, James William Beebe b. 1853(lived and died in Fayette Co., married twice), Jefferson O. Beebe (died young), George C. Beebe (died young), Thomas J. Beebe (b. April 1, 1861--married Amanda Alice McCormick, Oct. 8, 1887 in Kane County, IL), Sarah Katherine Beebe b. 1866, and George Franklin Beebe, b. April, 1867 (and this could be 1869 or 1870). (The census in 1870 read "2/12" and birthplace as Illinois, but it maybe should have read "2-2/12"--if a family record claimed to exist is right. The 1880 census has him with his brother and a full 10 years of age or slightly older, so it's either not much better than 1870, but suggests he was a year older than the 1870 census had him. It's even possible the claimed "family record" has an error in the year of birth. However, we've found several one and two year errors in census records on this immediate family--and we do have consistent birth dates for some of them from family records which occasionally match the years in the census records. George may also have been born in Warren County, Kentucky but this is not absolutely confirmed. His two immediately older siblings were born near Springfield, Ohio. The source linking George Franklin b. April, 1867 as a son to Charles Lemuel Beebe and Mary Hughes was an Allan Joyce back in 2003, claiming family records.

George C. Beebe did die young and the name was indeed used again as George Franklin Beebe, a younger brother, even in a few records Thomas J. Beebe's family had. George Franklin Beebe was also claimed to have "gone west," as other Beebes did, later (mostly some of Tho
founder
supporter
Okay, where to begin-

I get the emails sent to the Garfield County (Jordan), Montana, museum and historical society. In 2002 I received a query from Barbara (Beebe) Magnuson who was a descendant of Charles Lemuel Beebe, Jr. She was searching for information on George Franklin and I found some items for her. She knew enough about Thomas's line to get to Ellis and quite a bit about Charles L. but none of the other siblings. What I know is from her and what I have found. If you want sources contact me and I will see what I can do.

George Franklin Beebe married Rosalinda Dodd. She was born January 20, 1870 in Marion, Linn Co., Iowa. Her parents were Jacob and Elizabeth (Hale) Dodd. There is additional information about this family at http://www.rootsweb.com. Search for Roselinda Dodd (the name goes back and forth between Roselinda and Rosalinda) and you should come up with three sites under Worldconnect. I know that this is the Rosa Dodd that married George Franklin Beebe because she married again after his death and I have that marriage licence. You will note that she was born in Iowa but the family was living in Kane County, Illinois as were the Beebes. She married George in Colorado (or Wyoming-Pal Beebe's story) and that location was the best reason that I know of for the Rosa Dodd from Longmont, Colorado being considered as the wife. All things considered I think that the same Rosa Dodd married Charles Lemuel Beebe, Jr. in Kane County in 1888 and they had the child Charles Franklin Beebe later that year. Barbara Magnuson thought they had other children but knew no names. If George and Rosa married in about 1890 there was not time for many kids.

George Franklin and Rosa had two children. James Leroy Ernest Beebe was born February 8, 1898 in Montana and died March 18, 1984 in Lewis & Clark County, Montana. He married Thelma Mae Hale. She was born April 11, 1904 and died July 20, 1973 in Gallatin County, Montana. They had three children: Nita, Don, and Kenneth.

George and Rosas's second child was Oliver Kellum "Pal" Beebe who was born October 19, 1900 in Lima, Beaverhead Co., Montana, and died March 6, 1990 in Rosebud County, Montana. Pal had five wives and nine childredn. I will tell you more about Pal in a minute, but let me finish with George and Rosa.

Pal's biography of his father, George, says that , "In 1906 my father was injured by a horse, an illness from which he never recovered and passed away a year later, February, 1907." Barbara Magnuson sent this version: "The story of George Franklin's accident was told to me by his grandson Norman Beebe when we met in Forsyth, Mt. He said, `George had an accident he came home with a crushed skull and acting crazy. He had mud all over him. His horse didn't have mud. George never fell from his horse. Rosa put him in the buck board and drove him to Miles City to the Dr. in Sept of 1906. George was sent on a train to a hospital, he died in Feb of 1907. Norman said the accident was suspicious. The family thought he was robbed because he had just sold 13,000 head of horses.' I'm not going to say who Norman suspects of knocking poor George over the head with a gun butt and robbing him....."

In the 1910 census Rosa and her two sons are living in Miles City with Sim & Ada Roberts and their boys. Ada Roberts died in 1912 and Simuel Buford Roberts and Rosa (Dodd) Beebe married July 1, 1914, in Miles City, Custer Co., Montana. In the 1920 census Sim and Rosa are in Rosebud, Rosebud Co., Montana and she has taken nine years off her age. She died July 16, 1926 in Miles City. The obituary from the Miles City Daily Star July 25 says, "Mrs. Rose R. Roberts died late Friday night at her home on Yellowstone avenue where she had been ill for a long length of time. She had been a resident of Miles City for the past year, formerly having resided in Rosebud. She was the wife of Sim Roberts of Rosebud, and was 56 years old. She is survived only by her husband." She is buried in Miles City.

Okay, Pal Beebe had five wives and I don't know the order but the names in the order that Barbara had them are: Eva Couvian, Violet Brander, Myrtle Coey, Helen Bickle, and Sarah Proctor. I know that Sarah was the fifth wife and that he was married to Myrtle Coey after Helen Bickle. Helen is his wife in the 1930 census when they are living in Missoula with his brother-in-law, James Campbell. Helen was born in 1905, the daughter of William and Molly Bickle. In the 1910 census the Bickle family is living at Knowlton, Custer County, and next to them is James Campbell and his wife Twyla who appears to be a sixteen year old daughter of William and Molly Bickle. Helen was the sister-in-law to James Campbell and her husband was the brother-in-law. There are Bickles in Miles City and some are probably from this family. I will try to run somebody down to check this out.

I can't remember if I had anything else to tell you or not. If you have questions let me know and I will make up some good answers.

The following is a biography of George Franklin Beebe by his son Pal in a local history book. There is also a story about Pal if you would like it.

George Franklin Beebe
By Oliver K. (Pal) Beebe
They Came and Stayed
Rosebud County History 1977

My father came to Montana from Virginia in 1884. he first came to the Fergerson Bros. at Kirby. They were his cousins. He worked for them, for Les Holmes and other outfits before taking a place on Hanging woman Creek near Birney. He was with the Fergersons on the roundup that year when the Indians killed Bob Fergerson and hid his body in a shallow grave. Bob had by chance come upon some Indians butchering a beef. He was out for a ride and hunting horses, a ride from which he never returned. It was quite a while before Bob was found. All the neighbors were hunting and found him and his saddle buried in a sand rock coulee. The Indians got scared and went on the warpath.

My mother, Rosa Dodd, came to Montana in 1890 from Iowa. She and Dad were married in Wyoming.

My father took a place in the Missouri Breaks. Beebe Bottoms, it was called. It was near Jordan, Montana. This was in 1897. He left the place for a time in charge of an old friend, Al Neff. Dad worked in the woods in Lima, Montana. There he bought old mares, good stock but some crippled, which he used to drive. Some were used on a covered wagon that he drove to return to Jordan in the spring of 1901. There he and Mother ranched and raised draft work horses and some Gold Dust saddle stock. My mother drove the loose stock on this trip, horses and some cattle.

My dad worked with good men and good hands like Grant Dunning, Jim Hackley and others. They broke horses on Wind River in Wyoming. Grant Dunning was the corral boss and they broke horses for the Spanish American War. They received horses, roughed them out and sold them for the war. I have no account of how many but there were a lot of them went through those corrals, some good, and some bad. They say my father was a wonderful horseman. When I was small I remember once a horse jumping a high pole corral with him. He kept his seat, rode off and was soon riding back in the corral.

The Beebe, Montana Post Office and store was established and run by my uncle in territorial days. It was 33 miles south of Miles City, on Pumpkin Creek road.

In 1906 my father was injured by a horse, an illness from which he never recovered and passed away a year later, February, 1907.

In the years to follow we saw very hard times. My mother dragged wood with a saddle horse and things like that. One time when she went hunting she shot a deer for food and it got up and ran over the hill. She went after it and ran smack into an Indian camp. They saw her and the deer and shot a couple of times. Mother lost no time getting home, putting us kids in the house, hanging blankets over the windows, barring the
founder
supporter
I'll put this in a separate message so it doesn't get lost in the long previous message. I am leaving early tomorrow morning (Wednesday, Aug. 1) and will be gone until the following Monday. If you send any questions or comments you will not hear from me until then.
Posted by Linda Beebe (+2) 19 days ago
The statements made to represent facts on my Family Tree are incorrect as stated by several people. Please go in and correct your information.

Clarence Beebe was an uncle to my grandfather Oliver Kellum Beebe
Oliver Kellum (Pal) Beebe was born 1900 his parents are
Father George Franklin Beebe and Mother Rosa Linda Dodd Beebe
George Franklin died as a result of a head injury in 1908
Rosa Linda remarried and when she passed she is buried in Miles City, Montana

Pal was called the Powder River Kid in the rodeos in his youth

As I read through several entries it makes me sad to think how off these statements being made prior to my post actually are. Please correct your information or leave my family tree out of your comments it saddens me to think how awful these things look to others.