Farewell, Log Cabin
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
Looks as if the Log Cabin bar is closed. The bar, which is the oldest extant wooden building on Main Street and was famous in its youth as "Sam Pepper's Resort" where the "remittance boys" hung out (check your Sam Gordon's Old Milestown for details) was purchased by the Stockman Bank and will be torn down shortly. Sigh. I hate to see parts of our common history and heritage destroyed but National Historic Register status has no legal restrictions. So, say a few words over a building that has witnessed more than a century of Miles City history and bid it adieu.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by Donald Richard (+14) 20 years ago
I like history and the past. It is great to remember and keep those memories for the future, but if we kept everything we would have no place for the new. It is called evelution. I believe God has a reason for things to evolve into something new. The more we practice at things the better we get in all aspects of life. Some times we don't like the new because it is different but it is a way to change things to better. It takes mistakes as well as successes to grow. I will miss the bar as a landmark but I don't see it as a significant part of history.
don
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17052) 20 years ago
Wow, I'm very surprised to hear this. I will be sad to see another one of Miles City's historic buildings go. Amorette, can you tell us anything about Stockman Bank's plans for this site? I don't recall for certain but I think the Log Cabin is right next to the bank...? Is the bank planning to expand? I sure hope they aren't doing a parking lot like what happened to the old Bean Bag building by M&H Gas. What will happen with the Log Cabin's liquor license?

Thanks for keeping us informed.

- Dave

BTW, I have memories from when I was a kid of a drive-thru window at First Security Bank (now Stockman Bank). It was a single-teller window (with a slide-out drawer) and it seems like it was on the east side of the main bank building. At some point they expanded their main building to the east and added the drive-up building on the corner of Bridge and 7th. Anyone else remember this? My memory of this is a bit foggy.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
That seems very uncool of Stockman Bank. I hope people let them know about it.

[This message has been edited by Larry Antram (edited 8/30/2001).]
founder
supporter
Stockman bank is next door and will tear the building down to add some fancy new offices. Banks like new stuff, you know. Yeah, the drive-thru is still on Bridge street.

--Amorette
founder
supporter
It's been suggested to me that Stockman bank should donate the building to the RR museum. Give them more space for activities, give Stockman bank a tax break for the donation and some good PR and preserve the old building. Probably the perfect solution but alas! not likely to happen. Still, I hope we can preserve some bits of it somewhere.

--Amorette
founder
Posted by John G Wilson (+29) 19 years ago
The driveup window was built on the site of the Log Cabin Cafe(yes Amorette you will see scorch marks). There was a tunnel connecting the driveup to the bank.

[This message has been edited by John G Wilson (edited 5/27/2002).]
founder
Posted by Joe Whalen (+174) 19 years ago
For those interested in preserving the look and feel of historic downtown Miles City, let me recommend the following Web site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation:

http://www.nationaltrust.org/main_street/

While it may be too late to prevent the Log Cabin from being razed, it's not too late to begin work toward protecting other historic structures which, though part of Miles City's past, may also be vital components of Miles City's future.

Very Best Regards,

Joe