Another thought provoking read.
founder
supporter
Posted by Oddjob (+183) 8 years ago
So the reality of "hope" and "change" sets in.

For all of you who ran blindly into the jaws of oppression, my only thought for you is this......

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

-Samuel Adams-
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3259) 8 years ago
I preface this with.."I don't know what to think". I look forward to the input of others as to how they feel about Mr. Snowden or Mr. Assange. Having gone through several eras of methodologies of protecting our country and its people from the various Countries we have been at war with, from Communists, from ourselves, etc., you have to wonder what the answer is. We know that Mr. Snowden has definitely pleased other countries with his revelations...the US was unable to meet the correct laws of Hong Kong to extradite him...and, now he is moving on to find a safe place for himself. I have to wonder...how do you know where it is safe? Somehow, I am having a tough time feeling violated by someone possibly spying on me when the flip side of the endeavor is to find someone who may be a threat to all of us??? I honestly do wonder how others feel about all of it????
supporter
Posted by Jeanne M Bole (+181) 8 years ago
I agree with the post 100%. I feel like the whole world is going crazy. I am glad that I won't be around to see the final results.
I know the 40 or so people that stick together on everything will
totally disagree with but that's the beauty of living in a free world.
supporter
Posted by Jeanne M Bole (+181) 8 years ago
I am so sorry that I said stick together I meant of the same mind set.
Posted by ShaneF (+88) 8 years ago
[Redacted]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 8 years ago
Good read, but what's the point? We're obviously screwed. The finger pointing (Oddjob, the media, our politicians) is a constant distraction while the government runs out control because everyone has convinced themselves they'll be the next victim of terrorists or Type II Diabetes or whatever the hell else we can terrify ourselves with. I can't, in my wildest of imaginations, foresee a reversal of any of this - I don't even know what to call it - poop. Snowden did us all a favor, but we'll repay him by watching his trial on TV from the comfort of our fat asses. Sucks, bad.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17466) 8 years ago
Buck is right on this (sorry, too old for +1)
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+475) 8 years ago
I'm glad you posted this. No, We don't know the extent of his disclosures but I applaud Snowden's courage. With the NSA surveillance, The IRS fiasco, the Benghazi cover-up, Wow! We probably owe Nixon a hell of an apology!
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 8 years ago
Buck I will probably copy & paste most of your response.
Buck says

".....but what's the point?"

Well, for starters, you should be outraged.

But when your great messiah turns out to be a bigger Fascist than the last one, you wring your hands and cry "we're screwed"; content to sit on your hands and spin on the thumb up your butt.

So where is your outrage? From what I read here, its mostly directed at those who work to change the "poop". They are all "nutcases" and "teabaggers".

Look in the mirror. Change begins with what you see. The people in the streets already get that.
supporter
Like I said...
Yeah.

You're screwed.
supporter
Oddjob, I'm willing to bear this terrible burden. If you must point fingers, point them here. I'm making this sacrifice for all you. Now that we have assigned blame, things should start improving.
Buck

Here's a provoked thought....

For 12 years, the lineup on this forum absolutely ravaged Bush II. Now that hope 'n change is making Bush-Cheney look like pikers in the Big Brother department, finger-pointing is a "distraction". The hypocrisy in your original post is utterly laughable.
supporter
Hopelessly screwed.

Oddjob, how many "I-told-you-sos" does it take to change the past?

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (6/24/2013)]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17158) 8 years ago
This story was reported in May of 2006. Why the outrage now? Because it's politically expedient for someone?

USAToday.com: "NSA has massive database of Americans' phone calls"
supporter
I plead drunk.

It was no good then and it's no good now. If privacy isn't important to you (not you specifically, David), how about the fact that these programs cost a fortune and still don't make us bullet proof (Boston)? And privacy should be important to you, because there us currently nothing but haze where we should see policies on who this data is collected on and how it can be used. (But if it's not super secret it wont work!) It all reminds me of that crappy Tom Cruise movie where they arrest people for crimes they will commit in the future. I hate Tom Cruise.

One last thought for now, like the stupid NRA and the stupid background checks, those who use this for political gain just happen to be right, for once. Broken clocks are right, twice a day.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (6/24/2013)]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17158) 8 years ago
"...that crappy Tom Cruise movie where they arrest people for crimes they will commit in the future."

I'd long since put that movie out of my mind. Thanks for dredging it back up.
supporter
Sorry.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 8 years ago
If Romney was president(God forbid), we'd be hearing the old "there hasn't been a major attack since 911" thing.

Hey Oddjob. One out of three of those is a real scandal.

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton II (6/24/2013)]