Posted by JMD (+296) 8 years ago
Ours just quit working. NO Picture ~ NO Sound! Anyone got any ideas as to what could've happened? Or is there anyone in Miles City that could take a look and maybe fix it?
Posted by RA (+648) 8 years ago
If you've had power fluctuations - your relays could be SHOT. (This has happened to ours, courtesy of MDU) Be prepared to buy a new TV!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 8 years ago
Is it powering on?
It's not doing anything, not powering on at all.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 8 years ago
Check to make sure that power outlet is still good... sometimes they fail. Or, split outlets might have a switch running one part of the outlet (like to a lamp), so check both receptacles. So, try another outlet.

Make sure you're trying to turn it on via the switch on the TV itself... I've seen a person forget that batteries die in remotes, too.

If not, the power supply board inside the TV may be dead - no "clicking" noise usually means zero power to begin with.

Any nasty smells lately to suggest a board burned out? It's pretty unmistakeable when they go.

If you can see inside to see if there's a blackened board, fuse, etc. then that'll give you something to go on.

First checks though... it's either a burned power board or outlet... less likely the outlet. Yup, power outages and the sudden spikes when power comes back on can fry poor TV's and computers.

Good luck.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 8 years ago
Perhaps give it a hard whack. Very occasionally that still works. Otherwise, it's probably tits up.
I kinda figured it was a lost cause. Was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Now that we've got another TV to replace it, does anyone know of someone that would like to have the busted one just for the hauling? Maybe someone who would like to tinker with it and see if they could get it running, you fix it you keep it kinda thing. At this point I hate to just throw it out. Maybe someone would like it, for whatever the reason.

Thanks to all who tried to help, I appreciate it a lot.
Posted by Steven Dey (+402) 8 years ago
Contact at 406 853 6405 I am interested!!!! Thanks, Steven
Posted by Bill N (+64) 8 years ago
Depending on how adventurous you are feeling you could take your tv apart (google should turn up instructions). Find the power board and check the capacitors. If any of them are bulged or cracked, that is probably your problem. You can probably order a capacitor kit off ebay for your tv model, or you could order individual capacitors from somewhere like mouser.com. Replace the busted capacitor(s) (requires a soldering iron), and you might be back up and running. I've fixed 2 computer monitors in the last year that had this problem.
Thanks Bill, might just have to give that a try.
TV has found a new home. Thanks All.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+673) 8 years ago
Like Bill N Said...

I had a tv that went out about 2 1/2 years.. Screen was flickering black and whatnot... Looked up options.

Spend the cost of a new tv to get it fixed
Try to get lucky on Ebay for certain components that might fix it (80 - 150 bucks)

Or.. take a look at the capacitors... sure enough, took the tv apart, saw 4 blown caps.... went to Radio Shack, spent TEN dollars, unsoldered then soldered the new caps on, and got another year and a half on the tv...

I see your tv found a home, but for future referecne for anybody... GOOGLE THE CRAP out of the problem and see what you can find lol
Posted by bh (+193) 8 years ago
I'm not an electronics whiz, but I would think to be on the safer side any expensive electronics would be best if they're plugged in to a surge proctecter, instead of directly to the outlet.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 8 years ago
FWIW - just springboarding off the previous post about the wisdom of using a surge protector - check the fuse often. Those protectors are only good for one spike. Many models still work and give power to your electronics but once that fuse goes (and you may never know unless you look at it after a spike) you effectively have an extension cord... nothing more.

So, if you've had fluctuating power chances are that fuse did it's one-time job and protected your gear. Now, it's just a multi-outlet extension cord with no more protective benefit. Change the fuse or get the kind that disable entirely when blown.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 8 years ago
And surge protectors won't protect against a major surge. We had a friend whose house got hit by lightning. Everything was in surge protectors but it didn't help.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+475) 8 years ago
It can also depend on how good a surge protector was used. Whenever someone says "EVERYTHING was on surge protectors" it suggests a possibility that they used $4.99 power strips "plus surge protection" from the local discount store, as opposed to a real good surge protector.

Here in Forsyth, known as the Land of Power Outages (over 30 last year), I am the head guru for about a dozen computers all of which are plugged into "real good" surge protectors and we've never had a problem.

But, lightning can definitely jump over just about anything if it's strong enough, that's for sure.