Custer Creek Olympian wreck
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11537) 8 years ago
Hit that in the 1938 newspapers. Someone should make a movie about it. All sorts of bizarre stories in addition to the horror of the wreck itself.
supporter
Posted by BigT (+118) 8 years ago
My father-in-law had a bunch of pictures of the train wreck that someone had given him when he worked up at Fort Peck dam in the 1930's. We gave those pictures to Mary Haughian a few years ago, whom I believe has since passed away, and she was making a book about it. Not sure if she ever finished or not.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16645) 8 years ago
On the 50th anniversary of the wreck my dad wrote a short story recalling seeing the Olympian pass through Terry just prior to the wreck.

Custer Creek Train Wreck 1938 by dave_mcmt, on Flickr
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1233) 8 years ago
David,

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad, and on fathers day no less. Thanks for sharing.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16820) 8 years ago
I concur with Ike. Cool story!
supporter
Posted by schmitzdj (+198) 7 years ago
Dave, Your father was an amazing man who I was proud to call my good friend. Jim Schmitz
Posted by Dorothea Dyba Sturges (+51) 7 years ago
I remember the Custer Creek Wreck as if it happened last week....the terrible storm that hit Miles City hours before on its way east....the announcement at Mass the next morning (Sunday), for any medical personnel present to report to the Milwaukee Depot. (no one knew yet what had happened) for dispatch to the wreck.......my father being called to assist with the job of clean-up... And the gruesome stories he had to tell.....finally, the entire train being brought to the Milwaukee Shops Rip-track, for the citizens of Miles City to view.....I'll never forget it!
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1911) 7 years ago
You should write your memories down. I know people always tell me they can't write but finesse is not the issue in preserving the past. Write it down and give it to the library to preserve.
Interestingly, at the same time as the Olympian passenger train wreck was being cleaned up at Custer Creek, my father was called away from the Custer Creek site to go west to Ingomar, where a Milwaukee freight train had been rear- ended, and the Brakeman, or the Conductor (I am not certain which) who was in the caboose, was killed. I believe his last name was O'Neill. A real double whammy for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad!! (And very long days for my dad).
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1911) 7 years ago
And on June 25, there was another wreck, with passengers killed. That will be coming up in the Stardust next week.
I am so looking forward to reading this. I did not know the date of the Ingomar wreck, and hope you have Star archives to fill in many of the details..I love history, as you no doubt can tell, and can't wait for "the rest of the story"..
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16645) 7 years ago
This site has good coverage of the Custer Creek (Saugus) wreck including photos and magazine articles from the time:

milwaukeeroadarchives.com: "Custer Creek, Montana Disaster"
Thank you so much for the access to the Milwaukee Road archives, and the Custer Creek Wreck. I was able to put most of the photos onto my album site . One of the men appears to be my dad....the fellow walking on the plank between the ground and the passenger car. I can't be certain, but it sure looks like him! Thank you again.
Posted by LuAnn Rittenhouse (+32) 7 years ago
I found some old photos of the wreck for sale on ebay (original 1938 press release photos):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...5af9ed1e09

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...5af9f91f6b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...5afa1c8ea6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1...5660cfb493

Thought perhaps there may be a collector out there that might read this reply.

(Unfortunately, for most of us today, the words "crack train" probably bring something else to mind...)