Housing advice
Posted by Cheryl Lynn (+11) 8 years ago
I'd like to consider the possibility of teaching in town, but I am concerned I will not be able to find suitable housing for my small family, including our pets. A small home with a garage and yard would be wonderful, but I see there are lots of folks who are also looking. Has anyone had any successes or advice they would like to share? I need to make a decision very quickly and it is too important of a decision to make blindly. Thanks for your help in advance
Posted by ocne (+477) 8 years ago
Cheryl,
Are you looking to buy or rent? If you're looking to rent, the rental situation in Miles City is very difficult. I moved here 8 yrs ago and finding a rental was tough then and has only gotten tougher, especially if you're looking for something for a family AND that will allow pets. With the influx of oilfield traffic in the area, finding a decent rental has gotten nearly impossible. There is a very nice new apartment complex opening July 1st; have no idea if they'll allow pets and have had heard that the rental rates are going to be spendy.

If you'd consider buying, your prospects are quite a bit better. There is quite a few options for homebuyers out there right now. There are several real estate offices in town that would be glad to assist you. It is definitely a seller's market here right now, however. Houses are bringing considerably more than they would have even 5 yrs. ago.

I hate to discourage you, but do think you should hear the real picture right now. Hopefully some other folks can offer you some perspective on here. MC is a great community and the school system is good. If you like the small-town friendly feel, MC has it. People here definitely look out for one another.

Good luck!
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+497) 8 years ago
I certainly would make it a requirement of employment. Have you considered buying a mobile home?
Thank you...I have considered purchasing a home. Is there a realtor you would recommend?
But no .... I really don't want to live in either a mobile home or apartment. Duplex, triplex or maybe a town house if it fits. Maybe there are some folks who have mother-in-law cottages that might be work?
Posted by BD (+330) 8 years ago
Well sound like your requirements are limited, you may consider getting into a unit and then finding what you would really like and move to the new house. Just an idea. Hope you find what your looking for there is a new apt complex that has 2-3-bedroom units but it is not a house. Call Todd at Ace hardware he is the owner of it.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
http://milescityapartments.com/

This takes you to the page for the new Riverview (a.k.a. Steadman) apartments. No price is given and no mention of pets but granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances would indicate higher prices. I know that was the intention, to create something for people who don't want to buy and don't want to live in rent-subsidized apartments.
Thanks, I will call him
Posted by ocne (+477) 8 years ago
If you're looking for a realtor, I would highly recommend Robbin with Integrity Realty - 234-8100. I have recently started working with her and she's great - very friendly and considerate of your needs. She's been very helpful.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 8 years ago
The Riverview Apartments run from $995 per month to $2295 per month.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 8 years ago
Nice.

For everyone who has ever bitched about Miles City never changing, here you go, it's changing. It shouldn't be too long before you get that pool. Enjoy it, because it's going to suck ass.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+760) 8 years ago
Buck... If MC ever gets a pool, someone will just complain about fecal matter.....
Posted by ShaneF (+87) 8 years ago
$995 to $2295!? Sure will be nice when this Bakken illusion stabilizes, the real estate and rental markets realize their true value, and people come back to their sensibilities. Maybe they'll take all of this money coming into town (?) and invest it into the school systems and sustainable industries which don't involve oil, bucking horses and bank-owned agriculture to ensure a better tomorrow--BWAHAHAHA! Oh, I crack myself up sometimes....

Sorry for the thread hijack. As you were.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 8 years ago
Tim Wagoner wrote:
Buck... If MC ever gets a pool, someone will just complain about fecal matter.....

Tim for the win
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+281) 8 years ago
Do the Riverview apartments have A/C? That deck located 100 feet from the river isn't going to do much good when it's 100 degrees and the mosquitoes are swarming.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 8 years ago
I am quite certain the Riverview Apartments have central air. Have you seen them? They are pretty upscale.