Just published: 1880s Miles City sheep rancher
Posted by Darlene Schneck (+9) 8 years ago
Hello Miles City,

I've just published the true story of my great-great uncle, who was a sheep rancher in your area in the 1880s. His story is told through his letters and other family letters.

Born in 1851, Isaac S. Schultz was a scholar, pioneer, and sheep rancher in the Wild West of the 1880s. His ranch was near Custer Creek, north of Miles City. He survived the terrible blizzards of 1886-87, known as the "big die-up," which wound up killing most of his sheep. Discouraged, ashamed, and owing money to his brothers in Pennsylvania, he chose to disappear for the rest of his life. After 44 years passed, Isaac was reunited with his astonished relatives at age 79, thanks to the intervention of his wife, Amanda. The book contains a total of 67 letters written in the 1880s and 1931, along with many period photos, maps and illustrations.

http://amzn.com/1484861728

As of May 18, Amazon is discounting the book 49%. I don't know how long the sale will last.

If anyone has questions or comments regarding the book, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks!
Darlene Schneck
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 8 years ago
Thanks for info.
Posted by Andy Hanson (+160) 8 years ago
Custer Creek was the site of a big passenger train wreck in 1938. The Olympian was traveling west and a gully washer had taken the bridge out. Scores killed, Rhoda Hanson covered the story for the wire services as a stringer.
I will buy a copy of this book because my grandfather and father both worked the land for sheep on the northside.
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+362) 8 years ago
I got my copy today and it is an impressive book. Looking forward to reading it this week.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3259) 8 years ago
Thanks, Darlene...just ordered a copy. Can't wait.
Posted by Darlene Schneck (+9) 8 years ago
Thanks to all of you who have bought a copy! I appreciate your interest in the story, and your kind comments. I would be grateful if you tell others in your area about it. Isaac was an early settler in your area and he has much to say about the Wild West and Miles City!
supporter
Posted by Jeanne M Bole (+181) 8 years ago
Hi,
I just got my copy in the mail I love the pictures can't wait to read the book. Thank God for this column. and you too Larry.

[This message has been edited by Jeanne M Bole (5/30/2013)]
Posted by Ellie (+15) 8 years ago
Bought it. Thank you so much for letting everyone know. I will search for Bronson and Wolfe in it as well as enjoy the history.

Ellie