Max Baucus to Retire
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2692) 8 years ago
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 8 years ago
AMF
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 8 years ago
Senator Schweitzer....I like the sound of that.
Posted by Kacey (+3158) 8 years ago
I have already gotten emails from groups wanting Brian to run for Senator. Guess we will see!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11731) 8 years ago
I remember interviewing Max years and years ago, when he was this young idealist. If there was every proof that Washington corrupts, poor Max is it. I'm glad he is getting out and I hope Schweitzer gets in.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+796) 8 years ago
AMEN, Amorette.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 8 years ago
I'm waiting to hear what the scandal is. I figured his 'No' vote on gun control and his move to defund Obamacare were political moves to distance himself from the President. I'm pretty sure he'd have been happy to vote for more gun control if he knew he wasn't up for re-election.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2692) 8 years ago
Draft Schweitzer...

http://act.boldprogressiv...eitzer.com

[This message has been edited by Kelly (4/23/2013)]
Max must have around six million in his war chest for re-election. I think He realizes the Montana democrats are finally showing their backbone. Since he and Wanda split and she took her money, he needs to retire to keep the war chest.
supporter
Is that what happens with that money?
Posted by Oddjob (+192) 8 years ago
Yeah..I can only hope that Max converts his war chest for personal use. He's right up there with John Edwards anyway..
Posted by Bob Wildrick (+63) 8 years ago
You can bet Maxie won't retire to MT. Too much money to be made in DC as a lobbyist and if he came back to MT I think there would be enough ready to do an old tar and feather job.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+282) 8 years ago
Max has already purchased land in the Bozeman area. He plans to build a home here, and retire. Those are his words, not mine.

[This message has been edited by Mathew Schmitz (4/24/2013)]
supporter
He is 72 years old (and looks great). I suppose if I didn't work for the next 40 years I'd look pretty good, too.
Posted by Kacey (+3158) 8 years ago
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+584) 8 years ago
Federal laws regarding war chests changed in the early 80's. Left-overs are not available for candidate's personal use but are to be donated to charities. PAC monies are not regulated.
Hmmmm. I think that needs to be researched. I recall that in GW years it was changed back to keep their war chest if they retired.

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Emilsson (4/26/2013)]
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+584) 8 years ago
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi...h.r.03660:

Ethics Reform Act

Website is the entry at Library of Congress.