Leno leaving the tonight show?
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1379) 9 years ago
None of the late night hosts can match Johnny Carson.

Someone asked him once if he had ever seen the movie "The Bible".

Said no, but he had read the book.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 9 years ago
Jack Parr was better than Carson.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 9 years ago
I grew up in the golden era of talk shows hosts. I can't bear any of them now.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+485) 9 years ago
Letterman is so much better than Leno. I really enjoy his interviews with politicians -- you can learn more than you do on any other show because he asks questions that an "ordinary person" would ask and doesn't lob softballs, the way Leno does.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10013) 9 years ago
Yeah, Letterman is definitely good at doing relatively serious interviews. His comedy routines are mostly horrid, but I suppose that's the way he wants them. I've never cared for Leno.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1650) 9 years ago
I'm going to see Joan Rivers next week perform on stage. I like to see people who were very big names and will probably be dying soon. Last year included Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow and Kenny Rogers.

Funny thing with Joan is how her story has now changed re. her feud with Carson. When the story first came out she admitted that it was quite late in the game when she finally tried to call Carson to alert him about her getting her competing show on Fox. Unfortunately for her, he already had learned of it and refused to take her call and never spoke with her again.

Now she is claiming that she tried to call him right away but he wouldn't talk with her and the reason was a sexist thing. He felt like he owned her and she couldn't leave him.

It's incredible how we humans change details to make the story favor us more.

FH
Posted by Larry Brence (+137) 9 years ago
Frank Hardy buying a ticket to your show = kiss of death

Do you wear a black robe and take your scythe to the show?

Great post as always Frank.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17668) 9 years ago
As far as interviews go, you cannot beat Howard Stern on the satellite radio.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2107) 9 years ago
You just missed Alvin Lee of Ten Years as he died today. Hey, but Valerie Harper is still alive if you hurry.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 9 years ago
As far as interviews go, you cannot beat Howard Stern on the satellite radio.

Not sure "beat" and "Howard Stern" should be used in the same sentence, speaking of ass-nine comments.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 9 years ago
Cannot stand Howard Stern...as an older lady, I think he is disgusting...
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+485) 9 years ago
Joan Rivers did a comedy album many years ago called "What Becomes a Semi-Legend Most?" which contained a riff on Billings.

"You know what city I hate? Billings, Montana. OH! Did you ever go there? AAAugggh! Are you going there? Don't go! Better to die in a plane crash. If you have a choice...between landing in Billings and going down in a plane, go down in that godddam plane.

Women in high heels and socks! Have you ever been there? Their 7-11 store is called 2-5. It's so stupid, they had a fashion show at Sears Roebuck...no models, they held open the catalog and they would point......stupid!

And I come on the stage, and you want to be good, even though it's Billings Montana, you want to be hot, right? And I come on the stage, and I look down, where you're sitting, there was a woman nursing a child. I thought I would... oh look at this group, 'well so-o-o what?' You find that normal? You find that normal to have a woman walk into a nightclub [sssslllluuuurrrp] and nurse a child? Who would you watch, me or the nursing mother? WHO WOULD YOU WATCH? Kid was 14 years old, WHO WOULD YOU WATCH? Turned out it wasn't hers, thank God."

Kinda loses something without her unmistakable voice but here is a Youtube link -- the Billings segment starts about 5:40.

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (3/7/2013)]

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (3/7/2013)]