MCC going to World Series
Posted by Slosh (+703) 15 years ago
Despite not getting a hit, the Pioneers were able to beat Iowa Central 1-0 today in the Northwest District Series to advance to the NJCAA D-II World Series for the first time in school history.

Congrats to Coaches Bishop and Brabant and all the players.
Posted by kent fandrich (+115) 15 years ago
WAY TO GO PIONEERS!!! Congratulations!!!
Posted by Pluto (+97) 15 years ago
Congrats to all of the Pioneers. I was on pins and needles all day. Catley does such a nice job on the radio.
Is the news big in Miles City? Or are most people just returning from the fog of the Bucking Horse Sale and not realize what just happened?
There was actually quite a few that were pretty pumped about it at the Sale this afternoon. That was good to see.
Posted by Coach Brabant (+61) 15 years ago
Thanks for the words all...we are proud to represent the college, our program and the community of Miles City, Eastern Montana, Montana and the Northwest District. We are going to celebrate for a few days and then make our way to Millington (and hopefully pick up a Major League Baseball game in St. Louis) while practicing on the way. Just an FYI...we play at 8 AM MST on Saturday. I think Ben will put a post up on this later with all of the details.

Again, thanks for all that listen and are fans of MCC athletics. This isn't just the 22 players, two coaches, bus drivers and our SIC that did this...it is all of you as well. Those that donate their hard earned money, pay taxes etc...we couldn't do this without you. So thanks for making this possible...we are honored to give this back to the community.

Like pluto said...this IS a HUGE deal. There are 108 teams that start the season...there are 8 left and we are one of them. We will certainly get some national recognition from our performance and what Ben gives us in the media. We have definately exposed good 'ol Miles City on the map.

Well, enough for now...its 2 AM here in Madison and we can't sleep still. Who knows when the reality will hit.

Take care and thanks again...

Coach Brabant
Posted by Ben-wah (+74) 15 years ago
OK ... it's 4 a.m. CT here in Madison, and I am still up! And somehow, without having my trusty sidekick -- my laptop -- with me for the latest ride (Sunday), and not getting a hit, and somehow shutting out a team which scores seven runs a game ... WE'RE GOING TO THE SERIES!!!!

(My apologies for internet shouting ... but I can't help it!)

Miles City should be proud of this bunch. They have represented the region well to say the least. The best part was watching that dogpile happen right near the pitcher's mound. Every player deserves a pat on the back for their efforts.

Now for the latest, as Coach Brabant said I would provide ... the team will not be coming back to Miles City until after they head to Tennessee. It's just a 10-hour drive, and despite we have to switch drivers, it's more cost-effective for us to stay in this part of the country. The people have been nice here, and Madison is going to let us use their field to practice on both tomorrow and Wednesday.

Sometime Wednesday, we expect to be headed back on the road, and ideally, to St. Louis, for the Pirates/Cards. Then to Millington, TN, which is just north of Memphis, for what could be the most exciting week these young men will ever experience, short of marriage, the birth of their children and their graduation from a four-year institution.

The games will all be on the radio and the internet. Thanks to the cooperation of Marks Radio Group, which operates KYUS and KMTA in Miles City, the Pioneer baseball games will be on 1050, KMTA for most, if not all of the games. I think if they play at night (which would be the chipper, or championship game), it may knock Mike 92.3 off for a bit while we play. I think that may be possible, but again, only if the game would be at night. The games will also be online at mccPioneers.com ... a link to the feed will be there.

Also, look for a number of stories and features on the Pioneers on the web site, and hopefully, in other forms of media.

In addition, anyone who wants to wish the Pioneers best of luck can do so in a number of ways ... post it here, head to the Pioneer blog -- which you can reach at mccPioneers.com -- or e-mail me at [email protected], and I will pass it along to the team.

Thanks for all of your support!! We're four or five wins away from something really special. And from what I understand, one win would set a new standard at MCC ... no team that has made it to the national tournament (which I believe happened four other times, three to women's basketball, and once to men's hoops in 1969) from MCC has won a game at the highest level.

Thanks again!

Ben Catley
Sports Information Coordinator
Miles Community College
Posted by Ted Stein (+101) 15 years ago
Congrats to the Pioneers! This is a total team effort and definitely worth all of the hard work that they have put into the season, beginning in September and going through the fall season and then starting all over again with all of those long days in the Centra working on conditioning and all of the basics that make up a great baseball player.

To all of those who don't realize the stress it is to be a college student-athlete...the hours that put in is relentless. Whether it be in the classroom, weight room, on the practice field, or in game setting...plus add all of the time to be a member of the community, whether it be MCC or Miles City. It takes a special person to continue through this trek.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy the ride over the next week of being a member of the Pioneers are participating in the College World Series.
Posted by Roxanna Brush (+115) 15 years ago
Way to go Pioneer's. We are proud of you.
Posted by Bishop (+32) 15 years ago
Congrats to the Pioneers! The games this weekend were intense. It is sooooo nice to be on the winning side of the scoreboard in these match-ups. Congrats to the players, coaches (and their wives), parents, and Mr. Catley.

I'll see you in Tennessee!

Rick Bishop
I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I have to get to Tennessee. If anyone needs odd jobs, or just wants to donate to the Slosh Going To Tennessee Fund, let me know.
Posted by RT&JenBo9 (+57) 15 years ago
Here's the staduim website with info on the tournament. www.usabaseballstadium.org/

Miles City starts the tournament at 9AM Saturday, too bad I wont be able to make it, will be out of town. Maybe I can catch a game later in the week.

[This message has been edited by RT&JenBo9 (edited 5/21/2007).]
Slosh--Thank god for frequent flyer miles. I'll be there late Friday night and will have to fly back on Monday. It will be awfully hard to leave if they are 2-0 at that point.

Rick Bishop
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1598) 15 years ago
That is great. I wish I could go. Bishop for Mayor.
I wish I got frequent driving miles. Every weekend to Billings for the MSU-B games would finally pay off.
Are you kidding me....BUMP!!!

The "Send Slosh To Tennessee Fund" is growing. Now I think I can make it out of Montana. Ok, a bit farther. Just wanted to say thanks to those who have pledged.

To make sure this thread stays near the top. Does everyone realize that this is the World Series? The Pioneers are playing for a national championship. Anybody know when something this big happened in Miles City? I know we have dozens, if not hundreds, of state titles and those are all awesome. But a national title? Let's discuss.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1340) 15 years ago
Isn't the program only like 6-8 yrs old?
Yeah...this is year #7 (I believe), with the Pioneers advancing further each year. I can imagine what the atmosphere is going to be like down in Tennessee this weekend. I have worked a couple of national championships (2008 WBB NCAA DII Elite 8 and 2005 VB NCAA DII Elite 8) and the atmosphere is electric. It's awesome that our MCC Pioneers are going to experience this feeling.

Good luck to them.

Oh yeah, and definitely keep this thread at the top of the list.
Slosh--I know I am just as stoked as you are. It is hard for me to get my work done, this is so exciting.

Looking at match-ups, I kind of like who they are playing. Des Moines Area Community College, my old college team, split 4 games @ Longview in March. It was just DMACC's 2nd series, but Longview had played several games by this time. Longview won by scores of 6-2 and 9-8. DMACC won two games by scores 13-6 and 7-2. DMACC had a pretty rough year and were average at best. Iowa Central defeated DMACC 3 out of 5 games this year. Winning by scores of 5-3, 29-11, and 13-3. DMACC beat Iowa Central 3-1 and 5-1.

Long story short. I don't believe Longview is any better than Iowa Central. Of course, Iowa Central is very good, but so are the Pioneers.

Rick Bishop
That is Coach Bishop's and I's job today. We are going to do some scouting and make some phone calls for a few hours and see what we can dig up...but like Rick said...don't bet against us. And would someone pinch me please!!!

My word is this fun!!!

Oh yeah...and BUMP!!!

Coach Brabant
Had to keep this at the top ...

Anyway, for baseball fans, any World Series is livin' the baseball life. Unlike some of the other national tournaments, the cities which host don't change all that often (every 4 years at Div. II), and the cities claim it as their own. It becomes one of the big events for many reasons.

I was fortunate enough to go with Lamar CC to the Div. I WS back in 2002. Being a Colorado team, with the tournament in Grand Junction, CO, we had the most fans there. Fans come to the park, stay all day, and end up hosting teams and players for events. The community service bodies (like the Rotary, Elks, etc.) act as tour guides, and make the week better than anything an athlete competiting for a national championship could imagine, even if it's just a 2-and-Q deal.

The Div. II version is not as extravagant, but it's still a meaningful experience. The teams will attend a FCA Breakfast Friday morning, and a BBQ (it is near Memphis, after all!) Banquet in the evening. Then it's wall-to-wall baseball.

I hope that everyone back in the big MC gets behind the Pioneers. My only question ... if we do win it all, do we get to ride the fire truck??
Unfortunately, I won't be attending the greatest event I could think of. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but unless some donor comes up big in the next few hours, I won't be going to Tennessee. If you did send any cash to the Star, please e-mail me so I can return it. Thanks again, and good luck Pioneers.
Bump...if you haven't heard...we are keeping this on the top.

I noticed it was number 3 on the list.
Just wanted to help close the night out with the Pioneers on the top of the list as the night comes to the end.

Wouldn't it be nice to see them on the top of the world at the end of the tournament.

Good luck to the Pioneers!!!
Since I commented on the softball blog, I needed to bump MCC back to the top.

GO PIONEERS!!!!
BUMP!!!!
Brabant--instead of bumping us for the sake of bumping us, tell me what you have learned from your phone calls? How does Longview measure up?
BUMP~~Again Congrats Pioneers and Good Luck in the World Series!!!
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 15 years ago
I wonder how long it'll be before all this success goes to their heads and they threaten to move to Oakland unless they get a new stadium

oh and bump (Congratulations!!)
Here is what we know...Longview has 4 RHP that throw their starts...they are average to above average, but not overpowering. They have a closer that will shut the door if we get behind. They have a 6'7" (yes) catcher that is their best hitter. They are mostly RH hitters so it looks like we will be throwing Chauncy the first game and probably Clint the second (at that point it will be all about matchups). Thats all for now.

Coach Brabant

PS We will be watching the Pirates and Cards tomorrow afternoon and then heading to Millington from there. We have a free breakfast Friday morning that the FCA(Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is putting on, then we practice at USA Baseball Stadium at 1 PM CT, coaches meeting at 5PM and then banquet at 7 I believe.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1672) 15 years ago
Best of luck to you all!

Thanks for the info, Jeff, and I'll bump you back where you belong.
ooops, double bump.

[This message has been edited by Pluto (edited 5/23/2007).]
Now I really wish I was coming. I'd love to see a 6'7" catcher. I've seen a couple in the 6'3-6'4 range, but 6'7 seems a bit big. How tall is their first basemen?

And if I hadn't said it before, good luck Pioneers.
supporter
Posted by Cindy (+388) 15 years ago
Good Luck, Pioneers! Enjoy your time this week and all the things you are experiencing! We'll be listening on Saturday.

And BUMP!
Jeff,thanks for the brief scouting report. But I have one last question, who in their right mind would want to watch a Pirates game? Surely, there must be some better baseball played in one of those nice high school parks your passing on the way to Tennessee.
Wow, a 6-7 catcher...that's one you don't see very often.

Good luck to ya'll this weekend and have a safe trip. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya in regards to the bus. That's the only thing you need luck on, everything else is talent...and the Pioneers definitely have their share of it.

And I agree with the Pirates/Cards game...either team...BLAH!!!

Back to the top of the list ya'll go.
Posted by MCGirl (+300) 15 years ago
Seeing Poo-holes would be cool, if only for the fact that I like to say his name. But if he's on the DL...eh, I'd still go, because darn it, I just don't go to enough MLB games anymore.

GOOD LUCK PIONEERS!!! It's great to see such support! And thanks to all (you know who you are) who are working so hard to get the team there and to get the games on both the internet and the radio.

Cole Pryor for President!
What time of the day will the Pionners roll into Millington? Any ideas for how many MCC fans are attending the games?
The Pirates and Cards are, like, 20 games below .500. At least they might see Edmunds cry, and I mean real tears, on a called strike 3.

Go! Pioneers!
I don't know how many people are going to be there (I hope it's a lot) but I have an idea for next year. Since I know this will just be the beginning of MCC in Millington, I'm thinking of chartering a bus for next year. How many people out there would be willing to charter a bus to got to Millington? This could be a good way for parents, students and fans to get down to Millington to support MCC. I realize this is a year away from now, but I think it's a good idea.

GO PIONEERS!!!!!!!!
Great idea Slosh...

Reserve your spot early with refunds available (only if team doesn't make it). Have the trip include the following:

1) Spot on chartered bus.
2) Hotel Accomodations in Millington, TN. (most hotels will give group rates)
3) All-session tickets to Series
4) Transportation between hotel and stadium.
5) Tickets to team BBQ if open to public.

There's a start to your planning. Would love to help more, but won't be in town after next month.

Go Pioneers.
Well, we just rolled into Millington about and hour ago and are all settled in. The Pirates/Cards game was fantastic. One of our players was thrown a ball by Zack Duke after we were watching him throw a pen and another caught a homerun during batting practice. Many of the players had never been to a MLB game, so it was quite the experience...and seeing the new Busch was fantastic.

From what I heard, there are at least 14 or more players who have some sort of family coming to Millington, so we should be well represented.

And quit knocking my Pirates...at least I am not a bandwagoner for all you Braves and Yankees fans. I would rather go watch a team that has a $1.95 payroll and hustles than to watch Pujols jog to first like he did today.

Either way, this is about the Pioneers anyway...that was fun for us and isn't even the best thing we will be doing. Game time is in 33 hours.

Coach Brabant
Game time is now t-minus 32 hours...so I can't sleep and have seen way too many shuttle liftoffs! That's my days living down in Florida and when the space program was actually booming.

Ok, back to the Pioneers. That's awesome that there will be some friends and family making the trip to Millington.

You're so right Jeff, the journey is just part of this wonderful experience, hopefully by the time gametime rolls around, that all of the 'newness' will have worn off and they all loosen up and just play ball.

No matter the atmosphere...the game will always be the same. The rules don't change just cause you're in the world series. Hopefully they all remember that when it comes time for the first pitch to be thrown or the first at-bat of the game.

Good luck to the Pioneers.

And back to the top of the list of the MCC Pioneers!!!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5096) 15 years ago
Unsolicited travel tips:

If you can make it to Memphis, try the ribs at the Rendezvous (right off Beale Street) or any of the Corky's. I'm a Rendezvous guy myself.

Beale Street is a lot of fun on weekends...

Graceland's not that great unless you're a big Elvis fan...
supporter
Posted by Cindy (+388) 15 years ago
It's getting closer to game time!!!!!!!!!

Back to the top of the list for the MCC Pioneers!!!!!!
13:45 until game time...hopefully the Pioneers are going to be able to sleep tonight.

Back to the top we gooooo!!!!

GO PIONEERS!
Ahhh ... I have finally wrestled the laptop away enough from Coach Brabant (mine died), and can actually keep this at least near the top!

We're down to less than 12 hours from first pitch. I think the team is really feeling good. Confident, not cocky, and feeling like they have some business to handle. I believe that they will be ready to play.

Personally, my stomach is not quite in knots, but it will be come about a half-hour from game time. It will be the first time in a while that I won't have to go and get lineups (I love that part), or be flying around trying to get things set up (they let me in this afternoon, since I am also doing games for another team while I am here).

I just hope I can paint the picture for all of you who can't be here. The field is immaculate, the grass rivals a fairway (even the practice field is unreal), and there are plenty of seats to fill.

Speaking of ... thanks MCGirl for the words of support for everyone who has helped in one way or the other, make sure the MCC games since January have been on the internet, and at the moment, on the radio. From the businesses in Miles City, to the people who have done anything to make it happen, to the college for bringing me on board, many great thanks goes out to all. The great news is .. we all have one more ride together!! Load the wagons!!

Now ... it's time to go handle some more business. 11:19 to first pitch.

Thanks all!
Ben Catley
Sports Information Coordinator
Miles Community College
Miles City, MT
We are now 2:18 til first pitch. I'm sure that the Pioneers are done with breakfast and headed to the field for pregame.

Feel the tension building...let's just play ball!!!

GO PIONEERS!!!

Back to the top we go!!!
Here's the forcast for Millington..

Currently 62 degrees (which is forecasted near our high for the day). Temperatures will be reaching 90 degrees with patchy smoke throughout the day. Calm winds as of now, but could increase to 5-10 mph.

Wish I was there instead of our crappy weather...how I miss the south!

GO PIONEERS!!!
Posted by Diana Monte (+9) 15 years ago
This is so exciting...wish all of us fans could be in Tenn. with the Pioneers. (The chartered bus next year would be a great idea!) Thanks for all the reports and keeping us informed! Good Luck Pioneers!
Good Luck today Pioneers!!!
Posted by Russell Bonine (+236) 15 years ago
You can catch the stats live.

http://www.gulfsouthconfe.../xlive.htm

MCC is down 1 run
Posted by Wade Miller (+36) 15 years ago
How did they do. What was the score.
The final score was 1-0 Longview MCC Pioneers play at 9am tomorrow morning. Good Luck tomorrow Pioneers!!!
Tough loss for the boys. I have faith they'll be back again, ready to go in the morning.

GO PIONEERS!!!!!!!!!
Pioneers lost 4-3 this morning, coming down from a 4-0 defecit in the 8th. Great comeback and great season Pioneers.

Congrats Coaches Bishop and Brabant and all of the Pioneers.

Look forward to another great season in March.
Great season by the Pioneers. Miles Community College baseball is now officially on the map after making their first ever trip to the World Series.

Great job by the coaches...
Congrats Pioneers and Coaches on a well played season. We are looking forward to an even better season next year! Congratulations!!!!