Posted by Larry W. Dann (+52) 8 years ago
Just to let everyone know that there seems to be a new telephone scam out there. Received a call from a person claiming to be with the Social Security Administration. Foreign accent and barely spoke english well. They knew name and address but then started talking about the raise coming this month and wanting more info. The first question was about birthdate. Asked if I could call them back and at what number. Was given 2 numbers to call and extensions, was not given a name. Called both numbers, at one number the person answered the phone with hello...the other number was an answering machine.
Called Social Security and they said it was probably a scam as they would know birthdate, amount of SS checks and the amount of the raise. Gave them the 2 numbers and they tried to call both.
Also reported this to the Attorney General of Montana.
Be careful before you give out personal info over the phone!!!!
Make sure the person is who they say they are.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3245) 8 years ago
I don't think Social Security even calls legitimately, do they? I just heard about that one yesterday. A lady in Laurel and she said she was not giving out any info and they hung up on her. Another one is the big trip that you won. They never seem to give up.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 8 years ago
Winning a big trip means you are wanted on an outstanding warrant. Just stop by our office at the police station to claim your prize.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+674) 8 years ago
<<< starts UN-packing suitcase