Loud Boom?
Posted by MMagnuson (+65) 9 years ago
[This message has been edited by MMagnuson (12/21/2012)]
Posted by cyndie (+347) 9 years ago
The booms are back! Blasting fish on the river?
Posted by RB (+443) 9 years ago
I was waiting to see if anyone else posted about it, we heard it too! Anyone know what it was or where it came from?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1808) 9 years ago
Was it about 9:30 last night? Sounded more like an explosion than a gunshot.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2745) 9 years ago
"Blue Flame" initiation?
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 9 years ago
The good old acetylene bombs may be popular again. I've seen them demonstrated twice on TV shows recently. And my friends at a local truck shop did one last month that resulted in 911 calls from the neighbors half a mile away!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 9 years ago
I heard the boom. I nudged Steve and said "What was that?" He mumbled, "What was what? I didn't hear anything." So we both went back to sleep.
Yes it was about 9:30 last night and it did sound more like an explosion than a gunshot. Apparently it didnt cause any damage because no one has said anything.... lol
Posted by mckee (+384) 9 years ago
One report on scanner from police officer is that he was on 7th and wells and smelled something like fireworks. It was heard on both south and north sides of town. Someone called dispatch and thought it might be trains hooking up. I'm on north side and sounded like explosion, windows shook and police officer at PD said windows there shook also.

[This message has been edited by mckee (12/22/2012)]
Didnt sound like trains or fireworks on the south side where I am and house did shake a tiny bit, not much though. That does remind me tho that a few night ago I did hear fireworks pretty close to my house, but the sound was very obviously fireworks not an explosion. I remember wondering why someone would be shooting off fireworks in mid december lol
banned
Posted by SD (+1532) 9 years ago
I heard it and I think Jeff there just might be on to something. I suppose we ought to keep our eyes out for kids buying garbage bags......
Posted by Phil Shifley (+123) 9 years ago
Coupling train cars crossed my mind, but this was quite a bit louder than usual, it shook out at Michels addition too.
I hear the trains all the time. It wasn't trains. We were hearing loud bangs about this time last year, too. If you can go back a year ago on here, you would find the posts.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 9 years ago
Santa Claus testing the afterburners on his sleigh????
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 9 years ago
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 9 years ago
The one I know too much about last month started as one of my 3' latex balloons pumped up real tight. I won't say what the igniter was because it's kind of a controlled substance now but you'll find miles of it around a logging company. Very simple and the kaboom is outfrickinrageous!
Thanks Frank.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 9 years ago
I told you people 2 years ago what this was:

Under proper atmospheric conditions glyophosate ladened optunia polycantha can explode and spread a little red organisms that destroys the ecosystem.

Please listen to me.
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+717) 9 years ago
Merry Christmas, Richard.
Posted by Jody K (+103) 9 years ago
Last year at this time I lived near the train tracks by the golf course. I kind of thought it was the trains. This year we have moved over by the hospital. I heard it just as clear and loud as before.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+481) 9 years ago
http://www.examiner.com/a...y-48-hours

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Pieters (12/29/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 9 years ago
Thanks, Cheryl. I knew it was nothig to worry about.
Posted by Oddjob (+189) 9 years ago
Back in the day, trains used to carry an emergency warning device called a "torpedo". These were a 2" or 3" square ravioli-shaped paper wrapped explosive with a lead strap on either side to hold it on the rail. They were impact detonated when the wheels rolled over them and were loud enough so the engineer could hear them over all the noise in the cab. There was a system for laying them out on the rail to give different levels of warning to the engineer. Don't know if they still use them (or why they would near town) but if there are trains operating in the area during these episodes that's my SWAG.

To this day I will deny knowing anybody who would steal these things out of cabooses and do really dumb things with them.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 9 years ago
Seems it would be the silent booms that would be most troublesome for those inclined to be fretful about such matters.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 8 years ago
Montana has booms. St. Paul has eerie howling sounds.

Ice breaking? I don't think so.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/...o-it-here/

FH
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+792) 8 years ago
I read the booms are caused by "ice earth quakes" the freezing melting causes water fill into to fissures caused by expansion and contractions of the frozen earth. The booms are quite large and are generally localized. It is similar to the howls. Maybe a geophysicist knows what it is.
Posted by Georgia Mentikov (+7) 8 years ago
It could also be a sonic boom from a low flying aircraft.