Another Albertson's Screw
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+626) 9 years ago
Today I went to Albertsons to buy groceries and a turkey. I have been seeing an ad on TV that if you spend $50 or more the Honeysuckle frozen turkey would be $.69 per pound. Now, being that their printed ad said $.79 per pound I knew I would have to prove what I saw. So, I took a video of the ad on Tv on my phone and brought it in with me.
I told the clerk, who was the most curteous clerk in the store, and she called for the manager. He came over and wasn't interested in the PROOF that I had and promptly said it was for Billings and not here. I tried to show him on the video that there was no statement in the ad that said "at participating stores only". There was no reasoning with that man at all. I promptly left the checkout station and told him to keep his groceries, which totaled around $100, and left the store.
That manager needs to go back to business school if he ever went to one. Imagine that, lose a $100 sale over $2.00. I wonder what corporate would say about a store manager denying a customer an advertised price of an item and also losing a customer over $2.00.
There aren't too many other grocery stores in town, but I promptly visited one of them to do my shopping.
AMF Albertsond!!!!
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+673) 9 years ago
You spent time videoing a commercial, you spent time shopping for 100 dollars worth of groceries, you spent time trying to convince them to give you the deal, then you spent time at another store re buying the 100 in groceries...

all for $2.00

but.. I suppose there is a point to that.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
Don't forget the time making this post. If you had expended the energy you did over this lost $2.00 at a minimum wage job, you would have like $15.00.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2042) 9 years ago
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
Ads very often are for particular markets. That would appear in the fine print somewhere too small to read. I'm not a fan of the manager of Albertson's, although I like the other folks there, but the ad may not have applied to Miles City and he couldn't give you an ad price for an item without getting yelled at by his higher ups.
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
Some people just have NOTHING better to do Honestly, you were THAT offended by what you felt what an overcharge of $2!!??
Oh and don't forget to include the extra gas it costed him to drive from Albertsons to a different store, the extra wear it put on his car, and the little bit closer he got to his next oil change
Ok ok, I am sorry. But I must say, you ought to remember that everyone including that grocery manager, and everyone here online, are human beings and should be treated with some decency, respect and kindness
I would also guess that that guy had been asked that question about the price before and knew what you were talking about, and therefor did not need to see your "footage" lol
Posted by t.anderson (+101) 9 years ago
It is a little frustrating, I agree, when you see an ad on tv and think you're going to get something for that price, and then you don't. This happened to me not too long ago, I saw a Subway ad, went there thinking I'd get the deal, and they told me that ad does not apply to the Miles City store. IRRITATING!!
You're absolutely right having nothing better to do. Trying to save a buck or two. And not being able to work due to disability is kinda hard to get used to after working 40 years. It was just the principal of the thing. Not really the money.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 9 years ago
Then here it is...the principle of the thing. You are not in the Billings market where the ad originated.
Of course it's the principal of it. The ad didn't mention at all "At participating Stores Only". I guess I have too much time on my hands now. Maybe I'll start making bird feeders.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 9 years ago
So... why didn't you verify the price before you started shopping?
founder
supporter
The ad would have mentioned it applied only to participating stores. The legal department won't let it be broadcast otherwise. HOWEVER, that caveat would be teeny tiny print flashed on the screen for a fraction of a second.

I just assume if the flyer came from a Billings newspaper or a Billings tv station or any tv station, for that matter, that it might not apply locally, if only because the stores here are so small, they often don't even carry the item featured. I get coupons all the time directly from the printer at the store that don't apply because our little store doesn't have the stuff.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Jim Howe (+1618) 9 years ago
Seems to me that you were loaded for BEAR and ready to pick a fight, but let's turn this into a win win situation.

Albertson's has policies that are in force daily to make customers know that their satisfaction comes first. One of them is the Customer Suggestion Box at the front of each store. You may use this avenue to air complaints or suggest new ideas, or praise good deeds made by store employee(s).

My suggestion for you would be to write down your complaint complete with all the dates and times and the names of all the personnel involved (Bad AND Good), and all the preparation you did to begin your shopping experience, and include how exactly this was handled.

These messages are heavily weighted and go directly to the folks that can make a difference. Something will be done about it,although you may not be personally contacted.

This type of feedback helps Albertson's know what customer needs are, and they then can make your shopping experience as pleasant as possible.

[This message has been edited by Jim Howe (11/18/2012)]

[This message has been edited by Jim Howe (11/18/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+711) 9 years ago
I was under the impression they honored Billings ads as many people get the Gazette as there daily paper. Don't know where I got that idea but it sticks with me. I bet if you let the head office know,they will do something nice for you and perhaps undate the manager. Be nice in your note but let them know your disappointment with the policy and the manager. Include your name and address or email.
Posted by Rich Mahogany (+10) 9 years ago
How about asking about the promotion first. Could have saved yourself a good hour.
Posted by Skye (+380) 9 years ago
Sorry Amorette, but I don't believe an Albertson's ad is a paid programming ad...they don't flash a small note on the screen for a split second when promoting local or state wide store ads...so it's hard to believe they did that in this case. I can understand the frustration of believing to receive a certain price and not getting it, but leaving because of $2 is a little far fetched. Most people would pay it and write a complaint, if the $2 ment that much to them.
founder
supporter
I don't know what you mean by a "paid programming ad." All advertising is paid for. Back when I was majoring in TV production in the Dark Ages, we were taught that the purpose of programming i.e. shows is to give the ads something to hang on, like hats on a hat rack. Albertson's paid for that ad. It had fine print somewhere because all ads have fine print somewhere. When my eyesight was better, I used to try to pause the frame and read it. There is always a general disclaimer of some sort. That's what the lawyers earn the big bucks for.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 9 years ago
Hmmmm......as a Romney One Percenter, I plan on paying $5.99 a pound for my free range, organic, fresh never frozen Heritage Bourbon turkey which I will pick up tomorrow night....all without fussing (either online or to my spouse who ordered it without consulting me).

Chris Sriracha Sauce, if you post your mailing address on this thread, I promise I will mail you those extra two dollars. Then, you and your family can finally enjoy a drama-less holiday season.

Ho Ho Ho!!!
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+479) 9 years ago
Wasn't too long ago there was a thread trashing Albertson's.
Chris had a legitamate complaint. I've been tempted to do the
same thing he did but alwaus let it slide. Good for you Chris.
All the stuff about the two dollars and time wasted is BS.
I quess that's why so many Miles Citians make the 300 plus mile
round trip to Billings to hit Costco or Sam's Club. Yeah, I
know Billings offers way more shopping oppurtunities than MC.
This seems like another MC.Com dog pile on someone.
founder
supporter
I don't measure my shopping experience purely by the price. I don't enjoy shopping in those giant warehouse stores surrounded by strangers, even if things are cheaper. I like supporting a local business, chatting with friendly folks I know, saving time and gas money, and having higher priorities in life than two bucks on a turkey.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+673) 9 years ago
This seems like another MC.Com dog pile on someone.

He may had a complaint that was founded, but he complained about it here...

I just responded the way I did, because that's how it seems nowadays on this forum, the way people want to get heard for whatever reason, putting themselves on a pedestal.

It's not a MC.com dog-pile on SOMEONE... it was the start of a yet another dog-pile whine-fest on SOMETHING. Stuff like this seems to be a semi-annual occurrence...

But on the other side, I suppose here is a good place to vent about stuff. I come close myself... lol...
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+475) 9 years ago
Anyone remember the Wham-O Super Ball? It was a 2" rubber ball that had an incredible bounce and was all the rage in the '60s and all of the kids HAD to have'em. They sold for $1.09 in our local V-Store back then. I remember my dad telling me about a guy who worked for the railroad, bragging about how he got off the train in Laurel, drove to Billings and got the Super Balls for 99 cents. He actually thought he'd saved money doing that.

My theory is that most people just like to go to Billings for the fun of it. They don't really do it to save money....if they did, they wouldn't come back with a trunk-full of stuff they didn't plan on buying.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 9 years ago
We paid $2.69 a pound for our Thanksgiving bird - an 11lb Butterball turkey. Kind of spendy, but it will be a nice change of pace from fish & caribou. Suppose I could have took the .22, knocked down a few ptarmigan, and saved the money, but turkey sounds good.
supporter
Cheer up, you could be eating this:

supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
I'd actually prefer that to most turkey.
founder
supporter
Ah, you have not eaten my husband's turkey. He either brines or dry ages before cooking and it is moist and delicious. What are you doing for Thanksgiving?
supporter
Eating prime rib and sweet potatoes and watching football is what I am doing for Thanksgiving. Yum!
supporter
Interesting....we are also going the dry aging route. I've never done that before, should be interesting.

Turkey better be good, as we paid $75 for it last night.

And, eating prime rib on Thanksgiving is anti-American and something a Muslim pirate from Kenya would do.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
For a minute there I thought Hal bought a 111 pound turkey.
supporter
It's a little early for eggnog Wendy.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
I think you mean champagne, Richard. And it's never too early for champagne.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 9 years ago
Or Miller High Life, The Champagne of Beers!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
Even though prime rib is unquestionably better than turkey, if you eat it on Thanksgiving I support your name being added to a potential terrorist watch list.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 9 years ago
It would not offend me if turkeys were to go extinct tomorrow. Dead pig (Ham) is for thanksgiving. Prime rib is for Christmas and New Years day.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
in certain parts of the world, various foods are eaten for good luck in the new year...
http://www.goodhousekeepi...ds#slide-1
Posted by mckee (+389) 9 years ago
These were really dumb answers, and the manager is not a good one, I know 6 people personally whom have quit Albertsons just in the past few months because of him.
Posted by hat_3275 (+77) 9 years ago
I love Albertsons-in Billings