Have you tried lead-free bullets?
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
I must admit I've only known these existed for a few days. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it wouldnt be a good thing to put all that lead into the environment. Anyway, we shoot most of what we eat for meat- deer, turkey, sometimes elk, geese. Has anyone ever used a lead-free bullet and can share experiences? Do they sell them in Miles City? I'm willing to pay extra for a bullet that won't pollute so that's not an issue. Now I'm thinking, they banned lead in paint, gasoline, kids toys; but over the years we've gone through thousands of bullets for hunting and target practice, and we havent picked any of them up and thrown them in the trash (how could you!?), meaning they are still in the earth, the lead being released into the groundwater and soil, and I'm feeling guilty.
Posted by Georgina Phipps (+20) 9 years ago
Full metal jacket rounds go through what ever you shoot including a
bullet proof vest so they do not sell alot to the public. They also kill the barrel of the gun faster.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
Full Metal Jackets also contain lead. I don't think that's what she's talking about. I have personally never heard of lead free bullets aside from steel shot for shotguns.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 9 years ago
http://science.kqed.org/q...d-bullets/
this is kind of long but worth watching on lead free bullets. And yes there are lead free bullets widely available, but more expensive.
Posted by Katerina (+14) 9 years ago
Yep. We reload with lead-free bullets. They can be found in popular calibers in most outdoor stores. The Barnes Triple Shock is well known. According to the internet, Hornady, Remington, and Nosler all make lead-free bullet options.
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
This is actually how I heard about them http://www.thepetitionsit...448397#taf
I believe that the lead free bullets are made of copper? At least some of them are that I saw in a quick online search. Seems there are quite a few companies that make them, and they are available in all the sizes we need. Wonder if Ace or Red Rock carries them all?
Hmmm, I think I also need to start being more aware of all the bullets I shoot for fun. We waste a lot...