Jobie Needs Bag of Milk Brought from Billings
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1848) 9 years ago
We're looking for someone willing to bring back a 50 lb bag of calf milk replacer from Big R West in Billings (2600 Gabel Road) for Jobie. His favorite brand of milk was on sale so we bought a bag, but we need to get it transported from there to here. It has already been paid for and they will load. I will unload. All we need is the transport.

If you are able to help, please call me at 852-0085 so that I can make the arrangements with Big R West (let them know who is coming and approximately when). Please call vs. posting since I will be heading out to feed and not at the computer to check here.

Thanks so much for your assistance (from both Jobie and me)!

Karen
supporter
We have a ride for the milk. Thank you so much!
Posted by tax payer (+344) 9 years ago
Karen I know you are attached to Jobie, looks like a content animal. But a word of advice, you are killing him with kindness. His legs can not stand up for long of the weight he is. Check with a vet if need be and cut back on his food so you can both enjoy each other for a long time. This is kind of sticking my nose in your business but hate to see him go down because of his extra pounds he is carrying.
supporter
I appreciate your concern. We have already made some changes and he has lost weight since last winter. It is sometimes difficult to see in the photos due to the angle they are taken at, but we're working on it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Taxpayer: I had the same concern. Thank you for speaking up.
~~~~~~
Is the milk replacer still necessary? Usually it is 15-20% fat and it isn't cheap.
supporter
The milk replacer serves a real purpose. We have reduced the amount of milk replacer concentrate, but he continues to drink it prior to eating other things. Just like with people, when they have a bowl of soup (or the like) at the beginning of a meal, they consume less. In addition, it is a means of ensuring he gets adequate fluids (have always been some issues with him drinking enough water--worse in winter because his tank freezes between my treks out). The calcium is good for strengthening his bones. I have consulted with a vet in the past and was assured that, although it was not "necessary", it did have benefits for Jobie in his situation and certainly would not harm him.

There are other "benefits" to it, as well, but those are in the "warm and fuzzy" arena and, based upon your comments, I have decided to focus on the area that is perhaps of more interest/concern to you.

Thanks for taking the time to ask.
Posted by tax payer (+344) 9 years ago
Karen I don't know if you know that opening the water once a day for him to drink is enough for the day. Cattle usually only come to water once a day.Also it is the fat content as Richard stated in the milk and milk replacer pellets that is packing the weight on. Give him a couple big pitchforks of hay morning and night, a salt block and mineral block and that would be all he needs. Thanks for listening to my concern.

[This message has been edited by tax payer (11/14/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
The milk replacer serves a real purpose. We have reduced the amount of milk replacer concentrate, but he continues to drink it prior to eating other things. Just like with people, when they have a bowl of soup (or the like) at the beginning of a meal, they consume less.

Yup,yup... I know that when I eat cheesecake first I have less interest in carrots.
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
I am somewhat new here, but have seen lots of your posts about Jobie, pictures, etc, and was just wondering what is the story with Jobie? Did you rescue him, or...? Just curious. It seems you love him very much
supporter
Thanks for asking, Homesweet. Yes, I do love Jobie very much. It's virtually impossible not to since that is what Jobie is all about--Love. Jobie came into my life when he was 4 days old and in very bad shape. I had every intention of making it a "limited engagement" at that time. Life takes turns we don't anticipate, however, and just less than 5 1/2 months down the road, Jobie became legally mine.

We've been together for about 5 1/2 years now and it has been both an adventure and a learning experience. Jobie has friends from all walks of life (and varying numbers of legs). Not only is Jobie about love, he is about not being judgmental. He sees everyone as having gifts of their own and treats each individual as such (although, admittedly, he seems to believe everyone needs a kiss). I will be the first to admit that Jobie is more tolerant than I am--especially when it comes to those that are hateful or hurtful (but I'm trying to improve). He simply returns love. Jobie's "mailing list" that he corresponds with on a monthly basis (at a minimum) is close to 100 now (based on addresses--some addresses have multiple recipients so he's touching far more lives than that).

Hopefully, you've had a chance to take a look at some of the photos and stories on RedBubble. Some go back to when he was very young and others are current. To view all of Jobie's photos on Red Bubble, go to http://www.redbubble.com/explore/jobie and click on the photo to bring it to full size (i.e., not cropped) and see the story that goes with it.

You might also take some time to go to Amazon.com and look at his book, "Dear Grandma . . . Love, Jobie: Letters from a Black Angus Terrier" (the Look Inside feature is active) or, even better, go to the Library and take a look at the book (thank you again, Jeri, for contributing a copy). Many of the most explanatory photos about Jobie that are in the book cannot be posted on RedBubble due to limitations on use of photographs under Montana law (free and clear for books, for the most part--all required permissions were obtained--but limitations exist for photos being sold and, since they can be bought on RedBubble, we can't put them out there). Of course, there's the even even better yet that you want your own copy! Just let us know--we still have some left.

Most hopefully, you will come away from your encounter with Jobie with a reminder of what life can be and should be and, most importantly, with a smile or two to carry you along through your day!

Enjoy!
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
Thank you so much for sharing your story Karen, I will look on Amazon tonight! That is very sweet, and I love how you talk about him being non-judgemental and only giving love. That is what I see from my young child- there is no judging, only love, trust, kindness and goodness. If only I could see the world through my childs eyes, and find joy and pleasure in small every day, insignificant (to most) things, such as a Tupperware container! I have learned a lot from being around children. Adults are supposed to teach the children, right? Maybe in some ways, but I have learned a lot too, and not just how to change a diaper!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
The story of Jobie, the world's only Black Angus Terrier, is one that could only happen in Miles City.
Posted by Grim Reaper (+71) 9 years ago
Is someone off of their meds?
Posted by neonfreedom (+290) 9 years ago
Wow leave Karen alone,let her do what she wants..i know her personally and she is a very sweet,kind hearted lady,she does a lot of amazing things for a lot of people,and stuff that a lot of us take for granted...dont judge a book by its cover until you meet her in person...no need for the mean/rude comments...MEET HER FIRST,THEN JUDGE..

[This message has been edited by neonfreedom (11/18/2012)]
Posted by susan a. (+65) 9 years ago
Well said neonfreedom. She's a very sweet lady.
supporter
You've already found the perfect recipe for raising a wonderful child, Homesweet! Well done!

Thank you Neonfreedom and Susan for your show of support--it means more than you know!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 9 years ago
I, too, am rooting for Jobie....but if she does expire from all the milk-fed love, is there any way I could acquire some center cut loin chops?
supporter
Jobie is a "he" as in, technically a "bull". As for all this milk fed love, yes, Jobie will still get his milk, but it's at approximately 30% strength so I suspect there's not really all the need for distress that some have expressed. It's more a bit of flavoring and a lot of socialization--not to mention it makes him happy.