Gerrymandered Districts
Posted by Tom Cat (+163) 9 years ago
Just heard a discussion on CNBC about gerrymandered districts and the effect they have on the "fiscal cliff" or "curb," depending on your leaning. I'm from one of those districts in another state and they are very difficult to hold fair elections in, which is ironic because they were supposedly designed to do just that.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 9 years ago
which is ironic because they were supposedly designed to do just that

They've never been explicitly designed to do that. They're almost always designed to help the party drawing the lines to stay in power.

Now, I know, you have personal experience with the opposite, but an anecdote does not equal data.
Posted by Tom Cat (+163) 9 years ago
Oh how well I do know unlike you who have more likely read about this instead of lived under it's influence.
Posted by Steve Allison (+981) 9 years ago
Because a state's electoral college votes all go to one candidate, Gerrymandering has no effect on that election. It can effect House of Representative elections though and has a big effect on state offices.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 9 years ago
Oh, are you from the south, where everything is blacker different? I hadn't realized that.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
My father was the campaign manager for our congressman for 30+ years in North Carolina, and spoke before the State Legislature about gerrymandering and redistricting and he (as my kids memory remembers) quoted Shakespeare and said "Shakespeare once wrote that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet but I say to you that if you do this, it will only smell and smell and smell...it was headlines in the Raleigh paper "the News and Observer" as I remember LOL...Needless to say, he was a democrat and to this day I was proud of his thinking about our debt to society as well as his teachings to me....
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
they are very difficult to hold fair elections in, which is ironic because they were supposedly designed to do just that.

No, gerrymandering by definition is a manipulation of geographical boundaries done with the intent to achieve an unfair advantage. They were never designed to be fair.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (11/12/2012)]