Obama re-election causes layoffs
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
The nerve of this man:

http://www.sltrib.com/slt...e.html.csp

"Dear Lord, the American people have made their choice," began the scripture-quoting prayer that [coal magnate Robert] Murray, in a news release, said he delivered Wednesday afternoon to 50 staff members of Ohio-based Murray Energy Corp., whose Utah subsidiary runs West Ridge.

About that time, pink slips were being given to at least 40 percent of West Ridge's workforce at the mine in the Book Cliffs south of Price.

The American people "have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals [sic] of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance," Murray continued.

"The takers outvoted the producers," he added, turning to a biblical quotation before concluding, "Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corporation for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build.

"We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise," Murray said. "Amen."

Murray was thrust into the public spotlight in August 2007, when nine men were killed and six were injured in a pair of implosions at another of his Utah coal mines, Crandall Canyon. Murray Energy subsidiaries paid $1.45 million in fines this year to resolve criminal and civil cases spawned by that disaster.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
Makes me sick to my stomach...What a hateful man...
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3244) 9 years ago
Pretty weak dude, isn't he? Doesn't even have the intestinal fortitude to tell the truth...but, guess we are used to that. Hope the guys find jobs...and, hope everyone near his mine is now able to breathe better:-) Forward!!!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 9 years ago
This, as well as PPL's propaganda piece, was/is totally designed to try to keep the average ignorant Republican voter firmly within the pocketbook of the 1%ers.

If you are one of the ignorant Republican voters who might be reading this still (I admit this is a stretch), then you might be asking, "what is he talking about?"

Well, those of us informed voters know that the real reason behind the current demise of the coal industry has been brought about as a result of cheap natural gas, thanks to recent advances in fracking technology.

It is a complex world in which we live in, so if you have questions and want some answers, you'd best ask me for advice. A CCDHS graduate who scored in the 99 percentile in his ACTs, I then went on and got a masters of science of degree in geophysical engineering.

So, aside from my sister and Bridgier, odds are I am a lot smarter than you, and you should listen to me instead of Alex Ross.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3244) 9 years ago
There is a Guest Opinion in the Billings Gazette today, "Wind Energy Delivers Good Value for Montana Customers" and gives some excellent facts about the old, dirty uncompetitive Corette coal plant. There is a neat quote from Henry Ford to preface the article..."It's not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It's the customer who pays the wages."
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Wow... don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, Gunnar.

It is amazing that just when you think these 1%ers can't get any shallower they find away to drain more water from the pool.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 9 years ago
I was thinking the same thing, Richard. Not that I'm not proud of him. He did well in spite of having a a mother with poor parenting skills.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 9 years ago
I am so angry with people who use God as their weapon to hurt others! Pretending you're a caring Christian and then ripping people's lives apart is wrong in every imaginable way.
Posted by Tom Cat (+163) 9 years ago
Gunnar I'd agree with you on your point about coal, natural gas and fracking technology. Is your work experience in this field? Just curious as so many people move out of their chosen fields and your education does seem a natural for this area of the country.