founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
The Republicans formed out of the Whig when the Whigs fell apart because they didn't notice the world changing. Our challenge today is to come up with the name of the new party that will replace the Republicans. Or the name of the splinter parties that form out of the remains of the Republicans.

Any suggestions? Whigs was SUCH a great name, I'd almost like to see it come back.

Whigs and Baggers, maybe?
Posted by Tom Cat (+163) 9 years ago
They are becoming more and more ineffectual for sure. It may take years, but the Democrat party may well splinter too as diversity may splinter that party as well. The strength now is in commonality of diversity more than commonality of causes. For example, back home, the blacks are overwhelmingly christian and do not in practice agree with much of the Democratic platform but support it because it is the party of minorities, and because the Democrat party has done so much for them specifically. I'm not talking nationally, but regionally mind you. And I think this is where we disagree so much. Overwhelmingly, again, back home, they do not support abortion or gay marriage. The younger the person, the more open minded, but overwhelmingly, older whites and blacks agree on more than they disagree.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
I'd suggest it be named after their last presidential candidate as a permanent reminder of how they how they arrived in their current condition; I purpose the RobMe Party.
founder
supporter
Heheheh. Good one, Richard.
Posted by Larry W. Dann (+52) 9 years ago
Maybe the White Knight Party LOL
supporter
Posted by Ingird Emilsson (+209) 9 years ago
I think they should resurrect another old party name - the Know Nothings
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
Some other folks are ahead of you on this one.

http://www.modernwhig.org/
founder
supporter
You know, the original Republicans were liberals and the Democrats were conservative so maybe a modern Whig party will provide something for those in the middle.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 9 years ago
Have never heard of the modern Whig party. Do you suppose they will resurface now?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 9 years ago
I would hope that the Republican party would now veer back to their historical progressivism in the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt, and that the old disgruntled white men who currently form their base, might form a splinter party that would have some disingenuous name like "The American Tradition Party, but be called by everyone else as The Beckrovebaughs.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
bares repeating from another thread as I think it explains a lot..this map was redrawn based on population of each state...

[This message has been edited by howdy (11/9/2012)]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 9 years ago
CSP (Camellia Sinensis Party)
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
I like where you were going, Hal. Oxytropis lambertii would be more appropriate.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 9 years ago
Republicans now embrace math and science:

http://www.newyorker.com/...ience.html
founder
supporter
Heheheh. Very funny.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 9 years ago
http://www.latimes.com/ne...ull.column

This article has some excellent points. I was very frustrated with Bill O'Reilly's column that appeared in the Miles City Star. His claim that America now consists of more than 50% of people who just want free stuff, and therefore voted for Obama to get it, is ludicrous and without factual basis, yet I'm already seeing that gem repeated. He's an intelligent person. He knows this is not factual, but I guess he knows what stirs up his base and maintains his ratings.

Why is it so easy to believe that someone is an immoral, lazy, irresponsible, ignorant person just because they don't believe exactly as you do? I don't understand it.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
It's the same reason that a lot of Democrats see Republican and think Westboro Baptist Church. I'll spare you posting my Chris Rock clip for the 10th time but everybody just picks a side, proclaims that we're the good guys and they're the bad guys, and then shuts off their brain.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 9 years ago
I know. It's still disheartening.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
It's human nature. If the person who's different is somehow lesser than you then it's easier to throw the rock at him to protect your cave.
supporter
I really think a lot of republicans voted third party or for Obama this time as there used to be a lot of moderates in their party just like the other party did...I just wish they (the moderates) could just take their party back and get rid of the tea party and religious right or at least make them the minority...
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 9 years ago
Grand
Oligarchy
Party

Republicans still want to hold up tax breaks for 98% of people, to protect the weathy.
Posted by luvlife (+285) 9 years ago
I had a very interesting Thanksgiving! My brother-in-law just had to bring up politics....my hubby and I just tried to avoid the whole conversation as we know they are die hard republicans.
My nephew (11yrs) asks my hubby and I what we think about Obama being president? We both believe in our decision and told him we voted for him. This 11 yr old boy started in on a rant how terrible we are for doing this...Obama in the anti-Christ (?) and how people that vote for him our lazy and dumb and expect people that work hard to just give them their money!!!
THIS is very SCARY...it reminded me as if he had spent time in a cult!
We reminded him how hard we have worked all our life...my hubby is still paying off his college loan...etc...(trying to explain ourselves to a 11 yr old boy).
I guess my point in all of this is that I just can't believe the warped (brainwashing) sickness our family is teaching their children??? We had to sit and talk with our kids after all was said and done as they were so confused thinking we voted for a man that was the devil??? This just sickens me what this younger generation is learning with all this hateful and wrong information being handed down to them by this group of people that really feel they are superior to "us" low-life Democratic party people.
Thank you for letting me vent!
founder
supporter
Anytime the term 'Anti-Christ' comes in to the conversation, any hope of logic or reason goes out the door. Sigh. Reducing it all to superstition does nothing for anyone.
supporter
From the Christian Left:

"Could the "antichrist" be the marriage of the "conservative" movement and "the church?" Will this marriage produce "one great leader?" We started to wonder when "Christian" leaders remained silent during the health care debate. There is just so much the "conservative" movement represents that doesn't line up with the things Jesus taught."

I thought this was good "food for thought"....