absent ghouls
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+628) 9 years ago
I guess the ghosts, goblins , and ghouls took a night off around Southgate this year. We didn't see any spooks at all last night in the neighborhood. Did they all die or went to the land of the undead??
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 9 years ago
I think they came to my house. It was total madness.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 9 years ago
We only had 25 kids at our house while most of the neighbors had more. Our house has a bit of a reputation as a really truly haunted house and that seems to have an effect.
Posted by Janet K. Klein (+82) 9 years ago
We had a grand total of 5 spooks and goblins....rather disappointing!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9958) 9 years ago
We had 42 kids come to the door for treats last night. PK-12 enrollment was around 140 this fall at the school that serves both villages in our borough. Not a bad turnout - bet we would have had more if we lived closer to the main road. Last year we had around 30, but the weather was worse then. Last Halloween the first two kids that showed up came on a snowmachine. It's always hard to tell what their costumes are - it's mostly swarms of little kids bundled up in parkas : -)
Posted by Steve Allison (+982) 9 years ago
I think all the places around town where they can trick or treat, like the courthouse, library, hospital and Friendship Villa, may reduce some of the numbers out and about also. Kids can get loaded up with just a few stops and parents feel safer being able to go with them. Just a thought.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 9 years ago
After two years of Halloween cold and snow, I expected a ton of kids this year because our weather was wonderful and warm. But I think there were fewer than ever. Part of it is that my neighborhood is growing older so maybe there are just fewer kids. Any suggestions for what to do with a giant bowl of candy?
Posted by ocne (+478) 9 years ago
I saw somewhere that one of the dental places in MC was offering cash for candy! Might be something in the paper...

Worth checking into!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 9 years ago
You can just mail that candy to me, Wendy. Provided it is quality chocolate like Hershey bars or Kit Kats.
You are sooooo bad Amorette! I have a boat load of candy I can't eat. Guess I'll be bring it to the dentist. Sorry, no chocolat here.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 9 years ago
Agh, Amorette, it's too late. My husband threw out all the remaining Kit Kats yesterday. Boy, was my kid mad.
Posted by Steve Allison (+982) 9 years ago
Throwing out Kit Kats!!!! Now there is a reasonable argument for the death penalty if ever I heard one.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14965) 9 years ago
Must have been feral candybars.
Now I won't feel so guilty tossing Skittles. LOL
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17462) 9 years ago
A guy I work with once told me, that when his daughter was young she would go trick or treating, and when she got home, he would confiscate all her candy. He would then throw all of it into 1 gallon ziplock baggies, and stick it in the freezer.

The next year, he would pull the candy out of the freezer, and give it to the kids who came to his door trick or treating. He claims his daughter did not mind, she liked the trick or treating more than the candy.

In case anyone is wondering, this co-worker of mine is of Scottish descent.