Scam....Don't be dumb and fall for it!
Posted by Meri (+134) 9 years ago
Yesterday i received a phone call on my prepaid none contract cell phone from a scam company! They claimed to be a lottery company! This man had a foreign acsent and was very persistant!

I was not very nice and hung up and he called back three times trying to get me to wire money to several different Accounts which I did NOT. He claimed I won 2.8 million and a mercadies. I hung up again and turned it in to mcpd as a scam and was given a phone number to file a complaint with the FBI and they gave me a website to go to that they use to monitor things like this. I should add that while I was on the phone with Disbatch this man called two more times making it a total of five times!

Because I was not dumb enough to send them money no crime was committed according the the lady at the FBI! Just wanted to make people awere! Pay attention and don't be dumb and send them money! I am sure there are some people that fall for this! Remember the Lottery Company does not call you! Disbatch told me I was not the first one to call about this that they have been targeting Miles City!
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3267) 9 years ago
I had a rash of the calls about a month ago. Their names are John and some last name. Very persistant. I think overall...I won about 10 million and a Mercedes but, because I did not send them a Green Dot Card with money...never saw a thing..(chuckle). They are calling from Jamaica and they use a phone bank out of Nevada. My sister in Laurel got a call in regard to her bank account and that was from India via Virginia.

Now..we hear...do not get sucked in on those trying to use the Flood as a charity. Just a warning on television this morning. Another scam that has happened here is getting an email from a friend locally...who is in London (right) and has been mugged, and needs help. So..when checked...the friend is right here in River City. They are creative...we just have to be smarter. Just a reminder!!!!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 9 years ago
Who in the world is dumb enough to fall for these things?
supporter
They have had articles in the Gazette regarding people who actually do fall for them. The grandkid call to Grandma has been pretty successful. Western Union actually refused to send one of the payments a grandmother was going to send and a son stepped in to convince grandma that it was not for the "kid". Funny about the Green Dot card..if you have one filled for them, apparently, they can continue to reload it???
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11957) 9 years ago
Is the Green Dot that prepaid Wally World card? It sounds to me as if they are aiming for the less financially knowledgeable people.

I know if anyone had ever called my grandparents for bail money, my grandparents wouldn't have sent a dime. If I was in jail, I probably deserved it.
Posted by Patty O. (+227) 9 years ago
I was in Walmart today at the service desk when an elderly gentleman came in wanting to send money through Western Union. They informed him it was a scam. The gal at the counter told me he was the fourth one that morning.

Unfortunately the elderly are the ones that fall for this kind of scam. I don't know if it's out of desperation or if they truely believe people won't lie to them. My mother in law fell for this scam believing she had money coming to her. Before family could step in and convince her this is not real it was to late. She had sent thousands of dollars all over the country.

So instead of asking "who can be so dumb". Pray it doesn't happen to anyone in your family.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+668) 9 years ago
There is also a scam/malware happening on PC's... we just got hit by a "notice" from the FBI stating it has locked up the computer until we purchase a green dot card for 200 and pay the fine.

This is a scam... it DOES lock up your computer... there IS a fix for it, takes a little time, but we got things back up and running.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go out and buy a card to pay the "FBI"
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 9 years ago
Sorry, I still think it's dumb to wire money to a grandchild without contacting the child's parents first.
supporter
I did get a call...a guy with a foreign accent..."You have something very bad happening to your computer"...so, I lied and said, "But I don't have a computer". He said, "You don't"? Then he hung up. It is dumb, Wendy...but some Grandmas don't even think of scams...just of that needy grandkid:-)