Cowboys vs. Glendive tidbits
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 9 years ago
Congratulations are in order for Ben Herzog and Devin Begger, both of whom added to the Cowboy Football record book against Glendive Friday night.

Herzog's five touchdown passes tied the single-game record, originally set by Jordan Bryant in the 2008 playoffs against Frenchtown. Herzog now has 23 career touchdown passes, just six away from Chris Morford's team record of 29. Herzog, who was the first Cowboy quarterback to regularly start as a sophomore, is on pace to establish new team records in nearly every significant passing category.

Begger, who set a team record with 10 receptions against Laurel two weeks ago, became the first Cowboy with four touchdown catches in a single game, breaking the previous mark of three held by four players. Begger has seven touchdowns this season, tying him with four others for the fourth-most TDs in a campaign. The record is nine, shared by Dustin Frize (1995) and Scott Malloy (1996). Begger has 29 catches this season, just two off the record set by Chris James in 1993 and tied by Malloy in 1996.

Miles City has now defeated Glendive 16 consecutive times. The Red Devils' last win in the series was a 31-27 victory in 1996. Glendive has lost its last 14 games and has not won a conference game since defeating Hardin, 26-20, in the 2009 season finale.
Posted by Herbie (+115) 9 years ago
Congrdulations to the team on their homecoming victory!
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3243) 9 years ago
Brian, I enjoy your recap of the games. Thank you. Happy the Cowboys won last night...onward!!!
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+711) 9 years ago
I,too, enjoy your postings. Brings back memories...I am astounded by your knowledge. Thank you for sharing.
Posted by hat_3275 (+77) 9 years ago
One of these times Glendive just might surprise you!!!
They'll win eventually, hat. But not in the foreseeable future ... and probably not before they drop to Class B.
If the enrollment says the way it is this year they will NEVER be class B!!! They may not have had a good football season in a while but they have had quite a few good years recently in other sports.
Posted by hgang (+14) 9 years ago
Hat, why are you always against the Cowboys when you are on a Miles City website?
If the enrollment says the way it is this year they will NEVER be class B!!!

Hat - Glendive's present enrollment for fall semester is 320 students. The range for Class B enrollment is 120-339. I know you're not terribly bright, but you do realize that 320 lies within that range, correct?

Dawson County is the second-smallest Class A school in terms of enrollment. Only Butte Central, which had 131 students in the spring semester, is smaller. But unlike Butte Central, which is barely large enough to be a Class B school (let alone Class A), Glendive isn't Catholic and can't recruit players to be able to compete above their enrollment.

Glendive WILL drop to Class B. It's just a matter of time. Forget about enrollment holding steady - they've been hemorrhaging students for years.

2006-07 Fall - 417
2006-07 Spring - 395
2007-08 Fall - 407
2007-08 Spring - 392
2008-09 Fall - 374
2008-09 Spring - 362
2009-10 Fall - 361
2009-10 Spring - 346
2010-11 Fall - 335
2010-11 Spring - 329
2011-12 Fall - 311
2011-12 Spring - 309

All the superfluous exclamation points in the world aren't going to trump basic skills in math and reading comprehension. Know what you're talking about before you spout off. No one likes trolls, especially ones who don't know their stuff.
Posted by fball fan (+2) 9 years ago
Hey Brian,
I find it comical that you choose to attack hat for being misinformed, then turn around in the same post and display your own lack of knowledge. Your statement about Butte Central being Catholic and therefore being able to recruit players is completely ignorant. Where does BC recruit these players from? Are they shipping them in from all over the USA? BC is made up of students that start out in the Butte Catholic school system in kindergarten. Are the BC coaches out scouting the pre-schools of America for potential football studs? How do they recruit these players to come to Butte Central? I can imagine that the coaches recruiting pitch would go a little like this; "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we would like for your son to come play football for us at Butte Central, now all we need is $10,000 from you to cover his annual tuition". Don't tell me that these students are receiving athletic scholarships to attend BC, because BC is a private school and struggling financially to survive. BC is dependant on tuition to cover expenses. Athletic scholarships do not exist at BC. The fact is that the student body at BC is made up of young adolescents from the Butte community that take pride in their school and compete hard in athletics. They are insulted when someone like you makes statements that belittle their achievement and effort. Next time think before you post and give credit where credit is due. BC chooses to stay in Class A and is very competitive in most sports, in spite of only having 1/4 the enrollment of some of the larger A schools.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 9 years ago
First...
BC is made up of students that start out in the Butte Catholic school system in kindergarten.

Then...
BC chooses to stay in Class A and is very competitive in most sports, in spite of only having 1/4 the enrollment of some of the larger A schools.

Perhaps there's something more than just Jesus in those communion wafers...
Umm.. Glendive is starting to see an increase in their enrollment Maybe not so much this year at the High School level, but they have seen an increase at the Elementary and Middle school level. Those kids will be in High School in the next couple of years soo I bet in the years to come the enrollment will be up. Also my usage of exclamtion points is a habit. It shouldn't matter to you how often I use them!!!! I'm not trying to make myself look intelligent by using them.

[This message has been edited by hat_3275 (10/8/2012)]
Ah, silly me. I suggested that a Catholic school's success might possibly be attributable to something other than divine providence. My bad. Guess I'm doomed for hell. Bummer.

Of course I'm not saying Butte Central recruits from outside of Butte. Be realistic (of course it is kind of odd that there is no mention at all in Butte Central's application for admission regarding a requirement that students must live within a certain geographical area. I'm sure it's just an oversight on the part of the diocese - after all, no one would ever dare question whether or not the school recruits from outside its regular boundaries).

What I am saying is that Butte Central is able to survive and thrive the Class A level (despite its Class C enrollment) specifically because the cream of the Butte crop goes there. And if it simply was because "the BC is made up of young adolescents from the Butte community that take pride in their school and compete hard in athletics," one would think that the much larger student body of Butte High - which also consists entirely of young adolescents from the Butte community - would be just as consistently competitive and proud, if not more so due to their greater population of Butte's youth. Alas (but I guess there's always wrestling, right?).

Now I'm sure this is all purely coincidental, just as I'm sure that it's the Virgin Mary's will that Butte Central does well, but you'll just have to forgive me for my sacrilege in snickering at your insistence that Butte Central's success is due solely to their "achievement and effort."

When mommy and daddy can afford to send junior and missy to a private school - to the detriment of Butte's public school system (but hey, it's good enough for the serfs!) - they're going to be able to compete above your enrollment. The levels of hard work and determination exhibited by Butte Central aren't any more or less than any other given school.

And I can't help but asking: Does Our Lady of the Rockies send out some sort of bat-signal anytime someone questions the sacrosanctity of Butte Central? Seems kind of random that your very first post would be in response to something so near and dear to your heart.
Umm.. Glendive is starting to see an increase in their enrollment Maybe not so much this year at the High School level, but they have seen an increase at the Elementary and Middle school level. Those kids will be in High School in the next couple of years soo I bet in the years to come the enrollment will be up.

Had you said that in the first place, you might have had a point. Unfortunately, that's not at all what you said. What you said was: "If the enrollment says the way it is this year they will NEVER be class B!!!"

A much more accurate statement would have been "if enrollment stays the the way it is this year (320), Glendive will end up being Class B, but they've seen an increase at the elementary and middle school level."

But that's all beside the point because Glendive sucks.
Back to tidbits, for there be a-plenty:

Here are the following additions to the CCDHS football record book:

The 520 yards of total offense (279 rushing, 241 passing) is the seventh-most yards ever gained in a single game by the Cowboys and the most since they put up 529 in a 48-24 win over Billings Central in 2000.

This was Miles City's 16th consecutive win over Glendive, which is the longest current streak of victories by one Eastern 'A' opponent over another.

With Tanner Treu (17-139-1) and Ben Herzog (11-124-0) both rushing for over 100 yards, Friday marked the first time the Cowboys had two 100-yard rushers in a game since Shane Cooley and Kyle Stanton each surpassed the century mark in the 2010 playoffs against Columbia Falls.

This is also the first time the Cowboys have ever had a 200 yard passer (Herzog), two 100-yard rushers (Treu and Herzog) and a 100-yard receiver (Devin Begger) in the same contest.

Passing touchdowns, single game - Herzog, 5 (1st, ties record set by Jordan Bryant vs. Frenchtown in 2008 playoffs).

Passes attempted, single game - Herzog, 25 (8th).

Passes completed, single game - Herzog, 14 (2nd, tie), one off the record of 15 he set against Laurel earlier in the season.

Yards passing, single game - Herzog, 241 (4th).

Passes attempted, career - Herzog, 272 (1st - old record: Jordan Bryant, 266 from 2007-08).

Herzog had the 11th double-100 game in CCDHS history. His 365 total yards set a new team record, shattering the 336 yards posted by Cooley against Havre in the 2010 playoffs.

Herzog's five total touchdowns (all passing) tie the second-most posted in a single game by a Cowboy player. Alec Haughian had five against Dickinson and Havre earlier this season. The record is six, set by Shane Cooley against Livingston in 2009.

Herzog now has two 200-yard passing games this season, making him the third Cowboy with multiple games with as many yards. Adam Sanchez (1999-2000) and Jordan Bryant (2007-08) share the record with three 200-yard games.

Herzog now has 1,765 passing yards for his career, putting him within range of cracking the top five within the next two games. With 23 passing touchdowns, he has already thrown for more scores than anyone besides Chris Morford (29 from 1996-98) and Jase Wagner (27 from 1994-96). Herzog needs 17 more completions to tie Jordan Bryant's career record of 134.

Receptions - Begger, 6 (3rd, tie). Begger became the 13th Cowboy with at least six receptions in a game. He set a new record with 10 against Laurel earlier this season.

Begger became just the fifth Cowboy receiver to record multiple 100-yard receiving games in a career. Ryan Wagner holds the record with three such games from 1993-94.

Begger has 29 receptions for 433 yards and seven touchdowns this season. His yardage total ranks seventh all-time and is the most by a Cowboy receiver since 2006 (Josh Ewalt - 458). His touchdowns are tied for fourth and are the most since Ace Berry's seven in 2002. Only Dustin Frize (9 in 1995), Scott Malloy (9 in 1996) and Jeremy Pyle (8 in 1997) have had more touchdowns in a season. Only two players have ever had more receptions in a season - Chris James (1993) and Scott Malloy (1996).

Career-wise, Begger needs just two more receptions and 53 more yards to crack the all-time top 5 among Cowboy receivers. He's already tied for fourth with 10 career touchdowns, just one away from the career record of 11 shared by Pat Bergman (1981-83), Dustin Frize (1994-95) and Dalton Reid (2010-11).
Posted by Michael A. Preller (+64) 9 years ago
Brian,

You do a great job with the stats on the Cowboys...Thanks. But I cannot agree with the comments about Butte Central. Being an old Sacred Heart High grad who also played on teams that regularly beat teams with 2 or 3 times the enrollment (by the way we had a whopping 127 students when we won State in 1980)by far the smallest class B school in the state). We had the same attitude of Butte Central, we felt that we could compete with anyone and never wanted to drop to Class C. No Brian, we did not recruit students and had a shoestring budget. As my Dad saisd "Ya just can't beat the fish eaters"... How 'bout Connors Stadium....
On a completely unrelated note, I have always been curious in regard to the correlation between business ownership and religious affiliation. Is there anywhere I could find this info?