direct tv
Posted by Ryan (+478) 9 years ago
I was wondering if anyone has direct tv over cable to get some pointers on if I should switch???
Posted by mckee (+391) 9 years ago
I've had direct tv for about 1 1/2 years. We have several tv's on hd and 2 with the DVR. Reception is very good, and many stations, The monthly price of course varies with what you get.
Posted by j2r (+141) 9 years ago
Only if you like being committed to a 2 year contract.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 9 years ago
Picture quality is probably better than cable. It's the best if you're a sports fan, they have all the major sports packages. As a football fan I have become addicted to NFL Sunday Ticket.
Posted by Mufasa (+82) 9 years ago
I pay more for Direct than I did for Midrivers. However, I now have DVR that I didn't before the switch. It has been worth every penny extra.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1358) 9 years ago
Directv has the best variety of programming, the best record of dealing with broadcaster price increases and reliable equipment.

Every provider is going to give you a sweet deal for the first year and then the promos will expire and your bill will go up. With Directv, if you pay your bill on time and consistently, you accrue some leverage with your account and they often have ways to reduce your bill after the promo expiration.

Directv has an exclusive with the NFL Sunday Ticket and The Audience Network channels.

If you have high speed wireless internet in your home and an HD DVR from Directv you can connect it to the internet and get over 10,000 on demand titles mostly free, free Pandora, stream Youtube videos and free V Apps, they also have new movie releases 1 month before everyone else.

Unfortunately, gone are the days of cheap anything, but you really get good quality programming with Directv. You'll just pay accordingly.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 9 years ago
We have been with DISH for 20 years, having chosen it over DirectTV back in the day because Direct TV emphasized SPORTS and SPORTS and MORE SPORTS. I loved it up recently, when they dumped AMC even though we are still paying for it and are adding a Glen Beck Channl. We are looking into cable because of that.
supporter
Yeah, AMC puts "not available on Dish" on the screen on every commercial they run for their shows. That would be a deal breaker for me. I was on Dish until last year but I prefer DirecTV a lot.

Also, if you're with either satellite provider it will pay you to go to their website and say you want to cancel service to switch to the other guys at the end of your contract. They will almost always offer to put you back on the promotional rate to keep you from canceling.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14963) 9 years ago
Does anyone know if DirectTV receives its feed from the same satellite as Dish or do they have their own satellite in perhaps a slightly different orbit.
Posted by Mufasa (+82) 9 years ago
On thing cool about direct is having access (my package is high end)to HBO go and Max go. I can also watch on my computer when traveling. Your needs will probably vary.
supporter
I don't believe that DirecTV and Dish share satellites. They each have a dozen or so and which one you're pointing at depends on where you are in the country.
Posted by celeste williams (+159) 9 years ago
Yes, Directv does have it's own satellite in orbit. They also lease transponders from other satellites that lease transponders to Dish network. This happens because only a certain amount of channels can be broadcast per transponder. HD channels send more information than regularly broadcast channels so fewer channels can be broadcast per transponder in HD. Hence directv acquiring transponders from other satellites which Dish also uses. I do believe Directv is in the process of launching another satellite very soon.

edited to add: I do not know if Dish Network has their own satellites

[This message has been edited by celeste williams (10/4/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14963) 9 years ago
Thanks for the info.

I had Dish for a while, but in the middle of November the Denver HD channels quit working until about the 1st of March. Turns out that there is an issue only here in Gillette with the the satellite orbit during that time. At the time, the option Dish gave me was a bigger dish for a lot of money or in SD. Since the 2009-10 Broncos weren't that entertaining, I decided to go to cable but there HD isn't nearly as good as satellite.

The cable company has dropped three channels here and the HD picture and sound hangs so I miss some key moments. They are still charging the same price for a lot less service.

I will have to track down a local DirectTV technician and ask him a bunch of questions.