Chickens at farmers market?
Posted by AnnaN (+21) 9 years ago
So today I bought some chickens from the farmers market. I was telling someone about it and they said a few people have got sick from the chickens at the farmers market. Now I'm worried. Has anyone bought the chickens ? And if so were they ok? Thanks for the help in advance!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 9 years ago
Unless you are into chicken sashimi you will very likely be fine by eating the chicken cooked to temperature (165 °F). If you are into chicken sashimi, I recommend that you seek counseling ; -)
Posted by Ann Johnson (+30) 9 years ago
We bought a case of chickens from the Hudderite colony today, they are in the freezer now. We have bought several chickens from this colony, no one has gotten sick in our family, I'm thankful they come down to our farmers market,their bread is amazing and freezes really well,and there canned pickled carrots and pickles are amazing.
Posted by AnnaN (+21) 9 years ago
Thanks so much! Can't wait to eat them!
Posted by CharlesKaul (+10) 9 years ago
First of all, these guys are probably not even USDA certified. Also they aren't really raising natural chicken at all and you can see that by how they cook down and a bunch of water comes out of the meat that only growth hormones had held in place. Most likely they are raising meat birds like Tyson, as cheap and quick as possible with little regard to human, earth, or animal health. We are working on getting our poultry license to provide Miles City with real pastured meat fed no growth hormones, antibiotics ever, or animal by products. I wouldn't trust the Hooterite meat... and one could expect poop to get in the meat when they process, because their process in general likely disregards high sanitation measures. That is what get's you sick usually.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
Can we assume that everything in your post is speculation based on no actual information?

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (10/2/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 9 years ago
I always love "We are going to start a business in your small town. But before we do, we are going to bash all the competition on a public forum we signed up on using a false name so no one knows who we really are. Please buy OUR products, as they are far superior and more trustworthy because we said so!"
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+479) 9 years ago
Ihave purchased and eaten many chickens from the Hutterites at the
Helena Farmers Market over the past eight years and their turkeys atChristmas and Thanksgiving. They have all been very clean, expertly packaged and very good. But I suppose some colonies
raise and process their birds differently.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 9 years ago
+1 to Cory for cutting through the BS.

Secondly, and I'm not being cavalier about this, but even *if* you ran across an egg with, say, Salmonella or a henhouse that had it... doesn't the 160 degree temp pretty much solve that problem anyway - hence the guideline? Same with the poultry meat itself?

Not that I'd willingly eat eggs or meat with clear indications of a problem but if no other evidence is there, right?

Of course, I'm also the guy that tosses raw eggs into my home made cocktails figuring they're likely fine anyway and the alcohol will do the rest of the job. No sickness yet.

Oh, and I eat sushi.

Okay, on second thought don't listen to me.
Posted by ocne (+477) 9 years ago
Thank you, Cory. Well said.

Charles-do you know anything at all about Hutterites? I'm guessing not from your post. They're a communal sect of people who depend mostly on farming and ranching for their livelihood as they are not permitted to have "outside" jobs. The money that they make stays in the colony to support all of its families equally. Trust me, they're not making a mint selling chickens, so I highly doubt they're running around injecting them with growth hormones, etc. They work ridiculously hard for the amount of income that they get from Farmers Markets, etc. The produce and fowl that they sell is probably some of the most all-natural products you can get.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 9 years ago
Are you allowed to sell meat that hasn't been processed in a USDA certified facility at a farmers market? I would find this highly unlikely.
Posted by boxdmc (+89) 9 years ago
Not sure about selling meat at the farmer's market but producer to buyer meat is sold all the time here in MT. If it's illegal, get out the handcuffs. I don't buy meat from the grocery unless I can avoid it and I also sell some beef.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 9 years ago
Meat sold at any Montana Farmer's Market must be from an inspected source.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 9 years ago
Anyone who snubs Hutterite products have never done a taste comparison. First of all, the Hutterite chickens are butchered, plucked and cleaned properly. My folks bought chickens from Hutterites back in the 50's. I contntinued to buy them in various farmer markets such as Miles City, Helena and Big Timber. The fresh turkeys we have purchased from the Martindale Colony, also sold by by Reynalds, for Thanks giving always pleased the palates of my family. ( May I offer a cooking tip? Find a good brining recipe. Brining seals in the juices and lessons the chance of salmonella problems for poultry purchased anywhere.)
founder
Posted by ocne (+477) 9 years ago
Hutterites have been selling chickens and turkeys at Farmers Markets and other such venues for years. Reynolds grocery stores have been selling them for ages as well. I'm sure the colonies have done whatever is required for them to be able to do so or they would have been shut down eons ago and Reynolds surely wouldn't be selling these items.
supporter
So, we're all in agreeance then? CharlesKaul is spreading vicious rumors about the Hooterites?

Obviously a Arnoldleut partisan.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (10/2/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 9 years ago
Bridgier, are the HOOTERITES in your colony all big breasted with tight shirts? Now THAT'S communal living!!!
supporter
It's all the antibiotics & growth hormones. They have to go somewhere.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
That's just good science.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
I prefer tilted kilts to hooterites.