Driving to Denver
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17814) 9 years ago
Whether your takeoff point is Miles City, or Helena where I live, there's no other way to slice and dice it.

No matter what beautiful highway you start the drive from, and the scenic sidetrips you make along the way (this time I hiked along Cliff Lake - fantastic!)....

There's a whole heckuva a lot of buttugly Wyoming to drive through.

Pinedale to Rock Springs....Rock Springs to Rawlins....put a bullet through my head now.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15202) 9 years ago
HEY Mister... don't be mocking the high quality core sage grouse habitat!
Posted by J. Dyba (+1346) 9 years ago
Try living in Minnesota and going back to MC 1-3 times a year. North Dakota is so great!....
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4952) 9 years ago
Or driving thru Kansas....YUCK..boring as hell after a day or so LOL...
supporter
I agree with howdy, although I-40 from Tucumcari, NM to Oklahoma City is equally boring. It's like on I-70 through KS you're looking at boring on the south-side of the road and on I-40 it is the same "boring" on the north side of the road.

When I drive long stretches on road I like to challenge myself to identify the vegetation or count cows and speed-goats. Rawlings to Rock Springs has a lot to see.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+381) 9 years ago
I genreally get to see the entire length of the East side of Wyoming seversl times a year traveling from Colorado back to Miles City to visit. Cheyenne to Gillette? My buddy at work calls it "God's country" as he's from Yoder outside of Torrington. He's close to right. All that needs to be added is "God's FORSAKEN country!" At least the wind is almost always trying to push you through there faster. That's a nice touch!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2107) 9 years ago
My dad used to say the NE Wyoming was so sparse that the jackrabbits carried lunch buckets. It was also God's country as no one else wanted it.
Driving across western ND is interesting if you like oil wells as scenery. I guess that depends if you have mineral acres.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+476) 9 years ago
Try living in Minnesota and going back to MC 1-3 times a year. North Dakota is so great!....

I would take that trip over the Denver trip any day. At least in ND you have some cool rest areas, imaginative tourist traps and a few small towns, compared to the utter desolation that is east Wyoming.

The best thing about the Cheyenne area is the three fireworks stores just outside of town!
supporter
I agree with Forsyth Mike. North Dakota is way better to drive across than Wyoming.

I am on my way home...driving the usual interstate way...I25/I90 to Billings.

Sitting in a hotel room in Sheridan with a terrible cold....but at least I am watching the Dullass Cowgirls getting the rear ends handed to them by DA BEARS!
supporter
Gunnar, if you're in Sheridan you HAVE to go drink a Bomber Mountain Ale at the The Black Tooth Brewing Company at Ponderosa Cafe and bar.
supporter
Dang....I'd love to, but as the mule train can attest....I am sick as a dog and coughing and blowing snot like there's no tomorrow.

I will have to file that away for my next trip through SHERIDAN.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+793) 9 years ago
I was happy to see you posted another thread today, so I trust you made it home safely since you never bothered to call your mother who was worried about you.