Two questions for Amorette :)
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+416) 8 years ago
First, where was this courthouse?
[deleted - long link]
Second, what's the story with the library and the hideous brick box that obliterated its grand entrance? Weren't there people who objected to such an inappropriate addition on a beautiful historic building? Is there any hope it might one day be restored? (Sorry, I guess that was more than two questions.)

My inquiring mind wants to know. Please and thank you!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 8 years ago
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11432) 8 years ago
Right behind the current courthouse. They built the 1949 courthouse in front of the 1884 courthouse, then tore it down and gave away the bricks.

In the early 1960's, when the addition was added to the library, nobody cared about historic preservation. From WWII until the 1970's, destroying and covering up old things was the order of the day. It was the Space Age! We wanted modern and futuristic. We wanted jet packs.

After it was almost too late, people began to realize how handsome and well-built those older building were and the preservation movement began.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+490) 8 years ago
The second floor of the current library can give you something of the atmosphere of the old library. That was the main floor in its time. But the basement (children's part) is altogether different from the original.
supporter
Posted by worldmom (+416) 8 years ago
Thanks for the responses. It saddens me how much we've lost, but I'm grateful for what we still have.
supporter
Posted by clancee k collins (+165) 8 years ago
AMEN!