Posted by Connie Muggli (+99) 9 years ago
Well, keep your fingers crossed! Tonight the Miles City Council will hear MCDARP's counter-proposal to the now infamous BNSF "Indefinite Term Lease", and hopefully give us the go ahead to re-establish negotiations with the railroad for the NP Depot Building.

As you recall, BNSF agreed to come back to the table last spring after a very dedicated effort by depot supporters both locally and around the country. I continue to hear of new stories of efforts made on behalf of the MCDARP project at that time that enrich the history of the project and make for very interesting tales! A heart felt thanks to all of you - even the smallest things made a difference!

Over the summer, a great team of locals from the legal, financial and insurance professions -- and of course MCDARP members, worked hard to draft a lease proposal that is commercially viable and will encourage investment in the property, and at the same time, thanks to the effort of the city attorney, will also protect the community. We took care to view the lease from the BNSF perspective as well, and hopefully they will be willing to move forward on the basis of this draft. BNSF has assured us they are as eager to finalize this as we are.

Our goal is to complete negotiations by November 1st so that we may clean out the pigeon-pooh and seal the building against the onslaught of winter. We have grant funding lined up to cover fencing the property and clean-up. If we can manage that -- and the weather cooperates and the creeks don't rise -- we will hold one whopping big celebration in the building when it is pronounced safe and clean! Keep the faith -- things are looking good!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17186) 9 years ago

Thanks for the update, Connie.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1495) 9 years ago
Thanks for the update and the continued effort of the group. It is nice that the parties are talking to each other. Maybe progress will be made in the renovation.
The City Council approved resuming negotiations with BNSF. Unanimously. What a milestone for the community!

I should clarify that the lease is for the land only; as BNSF has pledged to donate the historic building to the city.

Again, the list of people that MCDARP owes thanks is huge, so for now, please just know that we very much appreciate every effort you have contributed on behalf of the Depot Project.

We will keep everyone posted on progress as this process unfolds. AND if we succeed in bringing BNSF to terms quickly enought that we can get the building cleaned up and pronounced safe yet this fall, we will throw one big celebration for the whole community!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11823) 9 years ago
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+322) 9 years ago
Are there good plans or drawings of the Depot? I need to have a model of it on my railroad. Right now all I have to go on is some fairly detailed pictures that I took in the '70s and a card size print of the Gene Larson drawing. I can work from those, but real plans would be better.
It even seems possible that some small scale custom manufacturer could make a partial kit of walls and details which might sell to other Northern Pacific modelers.
Ken Ziebarth
Ken --

Right now we do not have any detailed architectural plans or drawings, but are researching that. I did recently become aware of a museum that has collected a vast assortment of blueprints of aarchitecturally significant buildings. Also, as planning goes forward we may have access to plans developed by potential investors. If detailed measurements would help, we might be able to help you obtain those as well.

I think creating model kits of the building might be a great fund raising option -- we'll have to look into that idea! There are many, many Northern Pacific modelers and collectors out there! Hmmm - thanks for the idea Ken, and I'll be in touch!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11823) 9 years ago
Didn't the Stewart kid (I've forgotten which one, sorry!!!!) make measured drawings? They should be in the depot file.
Amorette -- I'll look at them again - but I didn't remember them being scaled with measurements. I'll check!
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+322) 9 years ago
There are no plans for the Miles City depot in the NP Historical Society archives, so I am sure they would be interested also.
I am in contact with groups of NP history fans and modelers so could help spread the word if plans, or kit parts, were available. And I have a small custom manufacturer in mind. I don't think it would be a major fund raiser, but you never know and it would be worth a try.
If plans are available I can float the idea and see what the numbers might be.
Ken Z
Go for it, Ken and see what you can find! You never know what might develop as a result! I will also dig out the informaiton for that museum and contact them!
Posted by Oddjob (+184) 8 years ago
I read in the "Star" that the focus of historic preservation has shifted to meddling with the vacant property owners downtown. Does that mean there is not enough to do here, or has the Depot become a dead issue?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11823) 8 years ago
"Meddling?" What does that mean?

As for the depot, we still continue to discuss a lease with the BNSF that doesn't have a 30 vacation clause in it. I'm not sure of the current status but I know they are still talking.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (6/13/2013)]