1950's Parade Photos
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 9 years ago
Took a bit of work, but I finally figured out what the Liberty Theater sign says in this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/pho...018040188/

WALT DISNEY'S
CINDERELLA

That seems simple now, but it was hard to read and almost looked something like:

WALK ??????
CHURCHILL

... which was throwing me for a loop.

I'm starting this thread as a place to figure out and share more info about those photos.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 9 years ago
The sign that says LIBERTY still exists but getting it restored and displayed is an issue because it is HUGE.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 9 years ago
What was Holts?
founder
supporter
Posted by Gene Larson (+278) 9 years ago
Two or three years ago, Jim Russell and I went out to his friend's place and located the LIBERTY sign which was being used at one time to fence-off livestock. It was on the ground out in a gulch. Later, Jim went out and retreived it.

Jim and I thought it would be great to have it retubed and lit in one of the parks uptown but, as Amorette stated, it's a HUGE sign and would cost a LOT to have it restored and displayed.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11965) 9 years ago
I think it was menswear. Holt's, that is.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (9/24/2012)]
Posted by ABE (+415) 9 years ago
Cool. Alright I just got a million dollar idea here, yeah I know, ha ha.
But we've all seen google maps, where you can zoom in in your house or what ever,
But what about google time? You could upload pics like this and enter the area it's taken at, or area it's a picture of, and it would load it to that area for that year.

So, eventually, if I wanted to see what my Moms house looked like in 1964, I could go to the map, pick a year, and see it as it was back then and if lucky to get other peoples pics, and then see it evoke into what it is today.

It could be a really cool community project trying to get everyone's pictures.

I don't know what you guys think, but it would be cool seeing it.

[This message has been edited by ABE (9/24/2012)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 9 years ago
I agree with ABE, if everyone would participate it would be very cool...but sadly apathy still abounds in this world...plus it would be an enormous project...
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 9 years ago
Yes, Holt's MensWear.
Ken Z
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 9 years ago
Two more, from the 1959 Diamond Jubilee, now posted on Flickr.
Ken Z