Posted by Monica LN (+148) 9 years ago
My dogs had their first experience with a skunk They did not get sprayed directly but the smell has clung to their fur. Any tips?? Would it be easier to take them to a groomer (would they even take them?) or do-it-yourself tomato style?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
I'd go buy some "Furbreze".
Posted by CK (+851) 9 years ago
my dog got nailed directly twice right in the face. two different skunks within 10 minutes of each other. Crazy right? The tomato bath did not work. Seemed like time only took the smell away.
Posted by cyndie (+352) 9 years ago
I heard a mix of peroxide and baking soda works.
Posted by Dillpickle (+34) 9 years ago
You'll need baking soda, peroxide, and dish soap.

Mix the dish soap and baking soda into a mixture not so thick it can't be spread. Coat the animals fur with said mixture.

Then poor the peroxide over the animal, careful for the eyes and face.

The foaming action is the key.

Keep a hose handy and wash thoroughly.

This process works wonderfully. My hunting dog is very familiar with it.
Posted by BigDryBug (+64) 9 years ago
DillPickle is right on, we have used this twice with great result. Dave
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

(copied from the internet)
Posted by Nichole Jackson (+367) 9 years ago
There is a deskunk spray and wash you can buy at Murdoch's that is safe on pets and in your home! We always keep it on hand at our home due to the dogs already running into contact with those little buggers and the little buggers come to the house as well! Its also safe for humans as well. Its in a red and white bottle in the pet area of murdochs! Best stuff and don't have to worry about making your own! A little on the spendy side but well worth the price...takes the smell away right away! We have even used it on our carpets and in our air vents due to a stuck spray right next to our air conditioner! Talk about a mess those little nasty buggers cause!
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 9 years ago
The BigDryBug I knew would have just shaved the dog and called it good.

Come to think of it, he would have just shaved the dog even if it hadn't been sprayed by a skunk.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 9 years ago
Mythbusters has "confirmed" the above couple of posts regarding home remedy. ha ha

http://dsc.discovery.com/...smell.html
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
Oh good it says the hydrogen Perox. formula I posted above works...It sure does for us...and we sadly have had to use it multiple times...as we have multiple dogs LOL...
Posted by Monica LN (+148) 9 years ago
Thank you everyone for the advice! I appreciate it
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2042) 9 years ago
I can't believe that someone hasn't posted a song into this discussion "Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road"?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 9 years ago
....and is it stinkin' to high heaven?
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 9 years ago
I thought it was going to be about a 12 pack of very warm Busch Light on a hot day at the lake!