Please Help to Locate an Indivdual
Posted by Monica R. Wilson (+8) 9 years ago
I am trying to get ahold of a Larry McGill of Miles City. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I would greatly appreciate it. I have had many concerned ranchers approach me with their concerns about Larry's horses and cattle not receiving any water. They fear the horses are thirsting to death. I would like to help this Larry anyway I can and get water out to his animals.
If you take on the responsiblities of owning and caring for an animal, the laws state that you have to supply that animal with proper shelter, food and accessibility to water at all times.
If anyone has any information for me please call 853-5072. Thank you so much!
Posted by Diane Grutkowski (+216) 9 years ago
I have received two calls from concerned neighbors about the horses on Mcgill's leased pasture land not getting water or food. One caller stated that he would be surprised if the horses are still alive. I normally rescue dogs and I am not familiar with the process involving livestock. I have made several calls, but have not gotten a response yet.
Have you reported this to the County Sheriff's office or to the County Commissioners?
You are absolutely correct; Montana Code Annotated 45-8-211 Cruelty to animals includes failing to provide an animal in the person's custody with: (i) food and water of sufficient quantity and quality to sustain the animal's normal health.

I know times are tough, but if you cannot provide adequate food & water for your horses then perhaps you shouldn't own horses.

If you get contact with Larry Mcgill please let him know that there is government funding available for livestock owners who need assistance and the County Commissioners handle those funds.

[This message has been edited by Diane Grutkowski (9/14/2012)]
Posted by boxdmc (+89) 9 years ago
I don't know Larry personally, but I am concerned with the approach taken here. If there are animals in need of care, by all means, do something. But this is basically putting out an accusation on a public site with no way to rebut the comments. I would suggest:
1. Go check it out for yourself. If critters are thirsty it will be obvious.
2.Call some neighbors around his place and try to get a contact number.
3.Call some ag related businesses and try to get a message to him to call you.
4. Call the Sherrifs office and have them track him down. You can do this without filing a formal complaint.

When you talk to people you don't have to go into detail of the nature of your call on the chance that the report proves to be false.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
Brand Inspectors can usually help as well as know the proper procedures for your issue...
To boxdmc:

#1. it is not smart to trespass on someone's property to check out their livestock & I would not advise anyone to do that.

#2. The neighbors ARE the ones who are calling for help.

#3 & #4. The people who contacted me said they had contacted Senator Jon Tester's office, the Sheriff's office, the Montana Humane Society, the Custer County Commissioners, and Wendy Hergenraeder.

I am just not familiar with livestock neglect concerns and therefore cannot be of much help.
Thank you diane for your suggestions and it has been a great help. I have infact contacted the Sherrif's Office to no avail....i have yet to hear from them. I have also contacted the County Commissioners office fpr more information. Thank you all for your fast responses and ideas.
Posted by boxdmc (+89) 9 years ago
It seems there has been contact with the individual & numerous agencies. It also seems there is a dispute on the care. Let's let the "officals"
handle this and not put our worthless opinions into this tough situation anymore.
Posted by Earl (+71) 9 years ago
for all you concerned peeps please bring your cameras i will take you on a tour of the ranch bring your lunch because you will be walking because or the fire danger but you will see water and grass and the cattle and horses are doing fine
To Boxdmc:

Thank you for your input and suggestions. The officals have all been notified and we can let them take it from here, I agree. Thanks again for all the fast responses, opinions and suggestions.
Posted by Earl (+71) 9 years ago
monica i have also contacted them they will come look at your concerns and i wish the best for you in court because you are going there larry
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 9 years ago
and i wish the best for you in court because you are going there larry

Yikes Larry! For some reason you seem to be getting pretty emotional here.
I think Monica is merely trying to help.
It's really not about you or Monica; it's about the horses.
Posted by Daniel26 (+34) 9 years ago
hello my name is jessica sommer i am the owner of these horse. I can asure all the concerned persons that these horse have feed and water. I will even take anyone who calls me out two see them. One mare was getting thin because of age and feeding a colt, but she is 22 years old and was brought in because the others were picking on her. But anyone who would like can see them and her they just have to call me and I will personally take them. As far as the cattle go they aren't mine and I'm not sure who owns them. My home phone is 234-4622 and please do not go out they with out permission. I have nothing to hind but the road they are on is private and I don't wish to upset the other land owners. thank you. I think there has been a misunderstanding about this matter.

[This message has been edited by Daniel26 (9/14/2012)]
Posted by SZ (+144) 9 years ago
I'm pretty sure I would get somewhat emotional if I was being slandered and accused of animal abuse/neglect on a public forum too. Folks ought to get their facts straight and address concerns to the proper authorities if need be, but not here. That's pretty reckless conduct.

I can tell you I have been all over the ranch in question, in fact just this last week I was out there trailing yearlings and riding one of Larry's horses. There is plenty of water in the resivoirs, despite our weather this summer, there is plenty of grass in the pastures, and all of the stock, cattle and horses, are in great shape. In fact they are in alot better shape than many I have seen in my excursions out into the country.

Folks have to remember that there are several 40 acre parcels scattered around out there that he has no control over the property or the stock the owners run on them.
Posted by Daniel26 (+34) 9 years ago
Yes I would like to make a public apology to the lady at the end of our road. I am so sorry I called you a bitch. You were not the person who started all this mess with our horses. You have never blocked us from watering them and have allowed us to go through your property to water them. I am truely sorry.