Cowboys @ Havre
Posted by hgang (+14) 10 years ago
Well, it is now Thursday and nobody has started discussion about the Cowboy's upcoming game tomorrow...so let's here what people think.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6108) 10 years ago
Tidbits forthcoming.
Tidbits:

- This will be the ninth meeting between the Cowboys and Blue Ponies since 1986, the year Havre dropped from Class AA to A.

- The Cowboys hold a 6-2 advantage head-to-head, having won the last four games.

- Miles City's last loss to Havre was in the 2002 state semifinal playoff, a frigid 19-12 defeat on a frozen Blue Pony Stadium field.

- The Cowboys have a penchant for forcing turnovers against the Blue Ponies, having picked off five passes in a regular season win in 2010 and another six in last year's contest. Both games finished with a score of 34-14.

- Bookended by those two games was 2010's 54-26 first-round playoff victory in which the Cowboys had 507 yards of offense.

- The 2012 Blue Ponies are EXTREMELY young, having lost 12 senior starters from last year's 7-4 team that lost in the semifinals to eventual state champion Dillon. Havre has only four seniors this year.

- Of their handful of returning players, by far their best and most vital to their success is Thurman Holdsclaw, who was the Blue Ponies' leading receiver in terms of yards and touchdowns (40-715-9) in 2011.

- Holdsclaw is off to a terrific start this season, having caught 12 passes for 244 yards and a pair of touchdowns in two games. He has also rushed for 86 yards on 12 carries and has completed both of his pass attempts for touchdowns. He has a 72-yard kickoff return for a TD, as well.

- Dane Warp is Havre's quarterback and is only a freshman. His career has gotten off to a great start, as he has completed 30 of his 47 passes for 452 yards, four TDs and three interceptions.

- Zach Plum is a senior and has caught 10 passes for 159 yards and a pair or scores. He and Holdsclaw both had over 100 yards receiving against Butte Central last week.

- Havre has allowed the most points of any Class A team this season (106). The Blue Ponies gave up 524 yards (250 passing, 274 rushing) in last Friday's 61-19 loss to Butte Central and 513 (308 passing, 205 rushing) the week before that in a 45-24 defeat in Whitefish.
Posted by Edgewood (+26) 10 years ago
There just isn't a lot of evidence that shows the Blue Ponies are going to end their losing streak. Alec Haughian is young, but he showed some good stuff last week. He got rid of the butterflies and played a good game; if he stays away from the turnovers he could have a huge game tonight.
After that it's just a matter of the rest of the team not making mistakes. The front lines are a huge mismatch size-wise; and though both teams are relatively young, the Blue Ponies do not have much in the way of Senior leadership.
Since I've lived here this is the first time I haven't had to work during a game, looking forward to catching it first hand.

Cowboys, 38-20;
I'm going to go for a 34-14 finish for the third consecutive season.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 10 years ago
21-6 Cowboys at the half.
I'm going to go for a 34-14 finish for the third consecutive season.

Cowboys 35, Blue Ponies 14 ... 3 minutes left in the game.

Hoping the final holds up.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (9/7/2012)]
Final score: Cowboys 35, Havre 14.

Sweet.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18062) 10 years ago
Eight Cowboy quarterbacks have accounted for five total touchdowns in a single game. Alec Haughian is the only one to have ever done it twice.

In back-to-back games.

Kudos, Mr. Haughian.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18110) 10 years ago
Wow.

WHOSE STARTING TO THINK WE CAN BEAT GLENDIVE!!!!
Bad things happen when one tries to write tidbits in a half-zombified state.

Last night, I wrote that the Cowboys beat the Blue Ponies by a 34-14 score last season AND the season before. That's half true. While Miles City beat Havre 34-14 in the regular season in 2010, the winning margin last season was 48-14. I had transposed the final scores from last year's Dickinson game in my notes.

I realize that exactly 1.75 people care, but dammit anyway.
Posted by JaDee (+67) 10 years ago
Gunnar, why do you hate glendive so much, I've noticed you always talk bad about them, how dumb they are. or how worse, they became tell us. ??????
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+385) 10 years ago
Yankees/Red Sox
Broncos/Raiders
Miles City/Glendive....

It's just one of those natural you can't like em both things!
Because Glendive sucks. Some things aren't complicated.
Posted by hgang (+14) 10 years ago
Well put Brian!