Etching words, names, pictures on vegetables
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1178) 8 years ago
This is the time of the year to scratch, (etch) words, names, pictures on vegetables. The scratch heals over, forms a scab, and you have permanent artwork on certain vegetables, until the vegetable is consumed.

The best vegetables for this artwork include cucumbers, squash, and pumpkins. To write someone's name into a vegetable, simply use the tip of a knife and scratch the name into the skin of the vegetable, only going slightly past the skin. In a week or so, usually a few days, the scab heals over and the name is easily seen. You can use the flat side of a screwdriver to make a wider "cut" and get a more prominent scab.

I have etched a scene of a witch riding a broom on a pumpkin, names on buttercup squash, and words on cucumbers. For example, get one of the longer cucumbers, a knife, and scratch these words on a cucumber: "Help! I'm in a pickle"
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 8 years ago
Could you post some photos of the end results?
supporter
I may be able to post pictures later, but for now, check other artwork on the internet. Type "scratching the skin of pumpkins" into your search engine and you should find a few examples (one site may harm your computer). I can work more on this later tonight.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3710) 8 years ago
Based on this post, I scratched "2012" into a squash in my Mom's garden. We'll see if she notices it.
Posted by Melita (+338) 8 years ago
You can also get patterns on pumpkinmasters.com and I know there are others. The end results are AWESOME, IF you take the time AND have the patience!
supporter
Posted by pene (+62) 7 years ago
Thank you Don