What no Cowboy Football prediction?
Posted by Herbie (+110) 9 years ago
Last year us cowboy fans had someone listing stats and predictions. Not this year? I really enjoyed reading them.
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+766) 9 years ago
I predict that the Cowboys will play Powell tonight at 6pm on Connors, or better yet... Denton field.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 9 years ago
Challenge accepted.

The Cowboys are remarkably young and the Powell Panthers are very experienced (and are the defending Wyoming Class 3A state champions).

Both teams have injuries for tonight's game, but I think this will be felt more by Miles City than Powell, considering who is injured.

The Cowboys have never lost to Powell in three meetings, but it will certainly be a challenge to make it four wins in a row.

Still, I never pick against the Cowboys. If Miles City can win tonight, then the Gazette's prediction that the Cowboys will finish fifth in the Eastern 'A' this season will be highly-questionable.

My prediction: Miles City 21, Powell 20 (same score as last season). The Cowboys beat the Panthers with a sophomore quarterback making his first varsity start last season, so there's no reason to think it can't happen again.

Good luck tonight, Cowboys!
I will post record updates as I get the stats. In the meantime, here is the series history of the Cowboys vs. Powell:

2009 - MC 7, Powell 0
2010 - MC 2, Powell 0 (Forfeit - the game was cancelled due to lightning after the Cowboys established a 20-0 first quarter lead).
2011 - MC 21, Powell 20 (After falling behind 20-6 at halftime, the Cowboys limited the Panthers to only 10 offensive plays in the second half for a come-from-behind win).

Other notes:

The Cowboys have won their season-openers in each of the last four seasons. In fact, they have not lost a regular season non-conference game since 2007. Since 1980, Miles City is 20-12 in the first game of the season.

Miles City is 231-80 (.743 winning percentage) since 1980, which is easily the best win-loss record among Class A teams over that span. Two teams each have 199 wins over that time and I'll give a shiny new goat to the first person who can tell me who those teams are.
Here is the Powell Tribune's preview for the game:

http://www.powelltribune....ity-opener

I chuckled when I read the author's claim that "The contest will take place at the Miles Community College baseball field."

First things procreating last, sir.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+278) 9 years ago
I'm guessing Havre and Sidney?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 9 years ago
Did they have to be in class A over that entire span? 'Cause I'm going to guess Frenchtown.
Class A games only. What a team did in Class B (Frenchtown, for example) or Class AA (Havre prior to 1986) doesn't figure in.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17514) 9 years ago
"It's a unique facility," said Stringer. "When we played there two years ago, there was a wall right behind one endzone, so it definitely gives them an advantage in the sense that they know where things are on the field."

It's been a long time since I've seen a football game at Connors Stadium / Denton Field. Is the wall really that close? Looking at this photo of Seahawks Stadium there isn't exactly a bunch of room before the wall.

In that case, I'm goin with Sidney and Dillon.
Oh ya Brian...thanks so much for your input.. You really need to be in radio sports, you are so much better than KATL and KYUS radio...

Thanks

Father of Cowboy Football that does not live in MC
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 9 years ago
I think the answer to Brian's question is Sacred Heart under Dan Conners.
Any score available for tonights Cowboy game? I've tried to listen live, but the station will not load for me.
Does any body have score from tonightes game?
I just heard 38 - 0. Cowboys didn't fare to well.
Thanks
Oh ya Brian...thanks so much for your input.. You really need to be in radio sports, you are so much better than KATL and KYUS radio...

Thank you for the kind words, Herbie. I wouldn't mind it, but I'm more of a newspaper guy. As it is, I'm content to keep the database.

Mathew is tonight's winner of the Shiny New Goat. Congrats!
Very cool. But you better save the goat for another competition. I'd just barbeque him.
I've got a whole bag o' goats, so no worries.