classified ad opinions.......
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+381) 9 years ago
Someone wants to sell something on the classified ads.If you think it's overpriced,then don't buy it and move on but why don't you keep your opinions to yourself.If the seller wanted an appraisal,they probably would have asked.
Posted by Jesse Smith (+417) 9 years ago
THANK YOU!

I FULLY agree with you Ken!

If you see someone trying to sell something for more than it's new price, that's obviously a seller trying to ripoff someone if they can, and I think you should say something (politely, you may be wrong about your facts too). However, when someone is selling something for a used price, I don't believe you have any business publicly price bashing just because you THINK you it's over priced. This is especially true when it's something you have no interest in purchasing in the first place!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 9 years ago
Since you're asking opinions...

I agree about calling out something if it's clear (and provable) it's a ripoff. However, it's not cool to beat up on someone's attempt to sell something legit. If you know of a better item that's superior or source then treat yourself to buying yours there - but don't scuttle someone's attempt to sell a used item.

Also, don't hijack someone's item for sale. If they're selling a used TV don't try to muscle in to their post to try and sell yours cheaper.

On the flip side, and I'm hesitant to grump too loudly as I don't want to suggest Larry needs to baby sit us but my gosh I hate the constant "bumps" people do to their own items. Half the time they're just blatant "bump" posts but the rest of the time they are barely-disguised attempts to do the same thing (ie "It's still available!" or "Price has been reduced.").

I wish there was a 2-bump limit and other left-handed abuses could be called out and the post removed. But, like I said, that's a lot of griping on my part - not sure if anyone else is annoyed by 30 bumps about the same item?
supporter
Posted by J&J (+348) 9 years ago
I know I have bumped few of my posts up because of it getting buried. then 5 mins after posting someone else is looking for the same item.
banned
Posted by SD (+1531) 9 years ago
^^up top^^
Posted by Jesse Smith (+417) 9 years ago
^^up top^^

Haha. That's funny.

I the bumping used to bug me too, but I don't mind it so much anymore. There's been several items I was interested in but missed the original post until it was bumped. But I still don't think you need to bump it twice a day just to make sure it stays on the home page.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 9 years ago
Well, in a way - the bumping itself contributes to other posts getting buried if one thinks about it.
Posted by cowboy's wife (+207) 9 years ago
I dont think you should comment on a classified ad at all. If you dont like the price dont buy it. If i dont like your offer i dont have to sell it but people can think and should think foe themselves. Nobody knows all products and you can call someone out so you think because you dont know all the facts and ruin there sale altogether for butting in. Let people post in peace! Im personally leave this site because of people harassing me on my ads. Its like some people have no life but to intrude on others.ig is none of hour business. leave it between buyer and selling and mind your own. We dong need nannies to savd us from evil deals or save our buyers from us like we are criminals for asking what you think is to much. Often times supply and demand dictate price not just what walmart sells it for new and value is always a personal matter of opinion. Some people are willing to pay more because it means more to them. So you comment on something you have no interest in or wouldnt pay alot for but that doesnt mean it isnt worth that much to that crowd. I wouldnt give 2 cents for a motorcycle but i dont go telling people selling one they ask to much because i would never pay that.. i was trying to sell a show dog and i got all kinds of comments on how it is to expensive but in the right crowd it was a hell of a price! More people butting in that should go harass someone else or better yet no one at all!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17660) 9 years ago
If you read the thread in question, until the end when "cowboy's wife" packs up her bags in a snit, there really is very little in the way of negative comments posted in the thread.

To a casual reader of the milescity.com classified section, it would seem that the current system is working very well. Hats off to Larry for providing such an excellent service for the community.

However, if you have poop for brains and are from Glendive, and believe the world is a giant conspiracy against you, then I can see that the classified section here might not be right for you.
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+245) 9 years ago
Gunnar just stepped over the line as a cyber bully.

The solution takes work from the webmaster to limit classified adds to one post, no bumping, no reply to message.

Forums enter at your own risk.

Never post a comment that you would not be willing to tell them face to face.

Gunnar if your in town stop by we will talk.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 9 years ago
Gunnar is a cyber-bully? That's laughable. Pillsbury doughboy, lovable fur-ball, or class clown, sure. He is NOT a cyber-bull. Get real. Must be a little too much "choke" in the Prunus virginiana this year. But then, it has been dry.
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+632) 9 years ago
I guess supply and demand doesn't count in Miles City. Or does it? You supply it and I demand I want it for nothing! The Miles City way. LOL
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 9 years ago
I didn't know the Tongue River ran through Glendive.
supporter
Posted by mikeh (+308) 9 years ago
I'd rather see someone post an ad that actually gives a price that's too high than one that neglects to answer that most obvious question "how much do you want for it?" (most likely because the seller KNOWS the price is too high). OK, its MY issue and not an occasion for Larry to increase his workload on managing this site. Still, I'm glad this came up so I could get it off my chest!
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+245) 9 years ago
Prunus Virginiana/common choke cherry.
First year of cultivation 1724.
Average # of 4790 seeds per lb.
Germination average is 77 days after winter.

Picea Glauca Densata, back at you Richard.

This way we all learn.