Anything new?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 9 years ago
I don't mean to come across as being more acerbic as is necessary (or usual), but I am curious if there is presently anything at all going on when it comes to local sports in Miles City.

I'd check the Star's website, but after two weeks of seeing "(No local news)," what's the point? Is there a particular reason for a lack of news of which I am unaware?

Is it a school-imposed media blackout? Are there stories that are in the print version that aren't making it to the online site? Is a severe case of carpal tunnel to blame? Is it the Blue Screen of Death? Has the Bodachan been running amok at the Star? Please tell me that it's something other than a dearth of creativity and I can be patient.

I fully understand that late summer provides a natural lull when it comes to small town sports, but there's got to be something to write about, doesn't there?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11888) 9 years ago
We have one sports writer who is visiting his family in western Montana. His father recently completed chemotherapy and it was a big deal to get everybody together for a while.
supporter
Posted by Sharlys (+200) 9 years ago
Unfortunately, news of local sports in the local media is less than mediocre, for sure. There are a lot of summer sports going on, but from what I have been told, it is pretty much up to those sports' directors to put together news stories about how the season is coming along. When most of those sports are run by volunteers (who have their regular jobs to attend to as well) it makes it pretty difficult to find time to put together stats and scores to present to the media. I have seen/heard very few articles about youth baseball, soccer, or softball (which included girls, womens', and co-ed leagues). I would have to say I was even disappointed about the coverage given to the High School girls' softball teams this past spring. I don't think I read a single article about the JV squad.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 9 years ago
Thank you for the update, Amorette. I hope his father is doing better.

I understand why people need to be away from the office, but I guess I don't quite grasp why that requires things to just ... stop. If the writer/editor from another section of the paper was absent for an extended period of time, would that section disappear in a similar fashion during that span?

Heck, even if the mud run story had been run in the sports section of the online site, it would have come across much better than an ever-lengthening string of (No local news). At least it would be something.
Posted by Edgewood (+20) 9 years ago
Really? Dislike. You can't honestly expect one guy to provide coverage for all of the league's in this town. It wouldn't be that hard for a coach or maybe a parent or a player to work up a box score or a game summary, especially for adult softball. Our sports writer does an excellent job, he has a great passion for sports(especially locally), and we are lucky to have him.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+289) 9 years ago
Maybe the local sports guy should do a little leg work and find that person that can help him out. We all know there is some old guy in town that has never missed a girls volleyball game. Ever! There is some guy in town that has never missed a wrestling match. Chances are the coach can tell you who that guy is. Find that guy, and ask him for help. You will be doing him a favor, and get better sports coverage at the same time. Nothing pisses me off more than a sports dude, usually TV, telling me that they didn't get a call with an update on the game from (insert small town here). Yet they still put up the graphic telling me the score was 0 - 0. I'm pretty sure that most sporting events start out with a score of 0 - 0. Thats not really news is it? Find the old dude that never misses a sporting event, and let him help. You will make his day. If I was coaching, chances are I may have an injured player, or something else that needs my attention immediately after a game, and calling in the score is gonna be the last thing on my mind. But if I have my ace in the hole, ready to call in at least the final score, if not much more info, we all look good. Give em a title, and some real responsibility, and you will be amazed by their enthusiasm and willingness to help. It's a no brainer.