miles city pd
Posted by souzafamily (+53) 8 years ago
My registration on my truck is a little over a week expired and I had and officer who dealt with a situation with my 17 year old brother pull me over 2 hours later 2 blocks away from my parents house. Over the registration on my truck I also had to tell him twice that I was trying to get home to my newborn son who was only 4 days old and than he seen the base to my sons car seats in the back seat and tried telling me that my son needed to be in a car seat my son was not with me he was at home with his dad. What is wrong with our law inforcement these days. I not only consider that as entrapment. But harrassment. Thisis a messed up country anymore
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4951) 8 years ago
IMO, some police officers (certainly not all) enjoy the power of the badge to harass folks just because they can...It is sad and shows their very low IQ....
supporter
Posted by J&J (+350) 8 years ago
entrapment:
In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[1]

How is that entrapment? You are the one who did not register your own vehicle.

[This message has been edited by J&J (8/12/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+719) 8 years ago
It doesn't matter if the registration was expired for one week or a month, expired is expired. Should you get preferential treatment because you have a newborn waiting for you at home? You mentioned that you told him that twice, what was your point? I am sure the officer was aware the baby wasn't in the seat. The more you pushed him to hurry, the more he delayed. People are like that sometimes. I think getting stopped with the new baby waiting for you at home was certainly upsetting. I am not sure the officer did anything wrong. I hope this doesn't continue to upset you. Enjoy the wonderful gift you have been given, your baby.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16722) 8 years ago
Get your plates renewed, take the new registration and your baby's birth certificate to court and, using your best manners, ask the judge for leniency. Explain that you were 9-months pregnant and/or giving birth and/or up all night with a newborn and renewing your plates slipped your mind.

"I have been so sleep-deprived, if not for that polite officer who reminded me, I could still be driving around with expired plates today. Thank heavens we have such courageous men and women protecting and serving our community."

Okay, that may be laying it on a little too thick.
Posted by Skye (+376) 8 years ago
David, I'm going to assume that you get out of a lot of tickets! Amen to you! Lol.
Posted by LAURIE STARK (+270) 8 years ago
Always easy to complain about law enforcement but they are putting their lives on the line every day to protect you. JMO.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14882) 8 years ago
David, I'm going to assume that you get out of a lot of tickets! Amen to you! Lol.

His dad was the Judge. Very nice man. Let me off with a warning and told me once that if I every had another speeding ticket he would tell my grandpa.
supporter
Good idea, David. Positive action instead of negative thoughts!
Posted by Matt Benjamin (+116) 8 years ago
God forbid that the MCPD are doin their jobs. How is entrapment and harrasment related to anything in your post? Let me guess, its probably the courthouse's fault too because they mailed you a reminder 30 days prior to your license plates being expired. Telling you that you have 30 days to renew your registration, not 40 days. Maybe next time take a little initiative or have your husband renew your plates. That is the problem with this country is that we have people always trying to point their fingure at somebody else all the time for ones own fault. The law is the law. Props to the MCPD.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3195) 8 years ago
Obviously, you have never been a new Mother with a lot on her plate...and, then get pulled over by a Policeman. Well, I have and it was certainly NOT my fault as they had added a "No Left Turn" sign to an intersection that I always used. It was in the 60's in Gt. Falls...picked my kids up from church and made that left hand turn as always only to be stopped. He could have given me a warning...but, NO...a ticket for ten bucks which was very hard to come by in those days.

I made up my mind to sit it out in the clink...even had a copy of "Rosemary's Baby" to take along to enjoy the stay..when my Mother mailed ten bucks and insisted I pay it. I just somehow knew that it was a bad omen for that officer...and, sure enough...about a year later he was demoted.

Sometimes circumstances call for an adverse reaction when you are a new Mom and lots of things going on. We weren't there...so, don't scold. I think everyone really knows the right thing to do..it is just that why not a break once in awhile...like Mr. Bonine got, for instance:-)
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1912) 8 years ago
If that baby is a boy his name better be John Phillip.
Posted by neonfreedom (+286) 8 years ago
Don't use being a new mom as a cop out,i was a new first time mom living in Gillette WY with no family,friends or any help and i got my bills and registrations paid on time,it is hard no matter what age they are but just because you had a baby or have kids does not mean bills and necessities stop in time till its convenient for you,GOOD JOB/THANK YOU MCPD FOR KEEPING THE STREETS AND NEIGHBORHOODS AS SAFE AS YOU WITH IN YOUR POWER...

[This message has been edited by neonfreedom (8/12/2012)]
supporter
LOL, Bob L...Anyone that thinks that all cops are the same respectful people that most are, are sadly mistaken...the power hungry ones drive me nuts and I have run into a few of them over my lifetime...and my niece and her hubby are both cops in Florida and they both agree with me...in most jurisdictions there is a mental test of some kind to weed out the bad ones but some slip thru from time to time...and they can be overbearing and sometimes even dangerous...Not saying this one was, but make no mistake, they do exist and are out there...

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/12/2012)]
I agree with you howdy...and those kinds of cops are what give all if not most cops a bad name...they should get appreciation for the job they do the right way and by the book that are actually respectful and kind
supporter
i was a new first time mom living in Gillette WY with no family,friends or any help and i got my bills and registrations paid on time,it is hard no matter what age they are but just because you had a baby or have kids does not mean bills and necessities stop in time till its convenient for you

Why bring Gillette into the discussion.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+759) 8 years ago
I remember when all the cops in MC were really pretty cool. They kicked our butts in basketball games and gave us warnings now and then about squealing tires.I can't remember all their names, but some nice ones were Derenberger and Curry. Even Blair could be decent, if he wanted to, LOL.
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1254) 8 years ago
There are some motor vehicle laws that people do not know about. You can be fined for not having a horn. Even tho you only need a sticker on the back plate, you are required to have a plate on the front, also. Drunk driving is legal on private land (if no illegal drugs are involved). Residents from out-of state are exempt from Montana insurance law. (They are exempt if their vehicle is registered and they are obeying their insurance law from their state-Show me in Idaho law where Idaho requires them to carry insurance in Montana. Idaho requires Idaho motor vehicles to carry insurance on the public roads of Idaho and does not require them to carry insurance on the public roads of Montana, so they are exempt from Montana law, since their vehicle is registered and they are obeying Idaho auto insurance law.) The past administrator of the Montana DVM agrees with that.

Two-time convictions for no insurance have to show proof of compliance to get their plates back. If their vehicle is sitting on private land, no insurance is required, yet County Treasurers demand insurance on this exempt vehicle which is sitting on private land. If a second conviction for no insurance wants to drive his vehicle September 5 on the highway, he can get his plates (and registration) September 2, get his insurance September 4 and drive on the public roads September 5, yet the county treasurers think proof of compliance means proof of insurance. How does one show proof of compliance on an exempt vehicle? Take the county treasurer out to his garage and show him the exempt vehicle? Looks to me like the County Treasurers are breaking the law by requiring insurance on an exempt vehicle.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11610) 8 years ago
You broke the law. You got caught. You weren't treated like a special magic snowflake. Wow. Life is tough.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 8 years ago
It's funny how Don's post went from "Things you don't know about vehicle laws in Montana" to "Things I want to tell you about the greatest scam in human history: the montana motor vehicle insurance requirements"

BUT... he didn't mention wolves and/or an unsolved murder, so that's something.
Posted by milagros (+45) 8 years ago
Expired plates are expired plates. The officer was doing his job. Perhaps you need to take responsibility for your own actions rather than blaming someone else. You knew they were due as the rest of us know when our yearly registration is due.
Posted by Randall (+105) 8 years ago
The local police could do their job without being heavy handed jerks though. I was once pulled over for 28 in a 25 mph zone. Before you say it, I know. It was breaking the speed limit. But come on, isn't that a little petty? Oh, and it was about two in the morning. Hmmm. Little incidents like that have left a bad taste in my mouth for local law enforcement.
Posted by nativemc (+907) 8 years ago
Around 2:00 in the morning, a little over the speed limit. No reason to stop a person then is there?
founder
supporter
Right after the bars closed and speeding. No reason why the police should pull someone over. Unless they were doing their job and trying to protect the public from drunk drivers.

I love people complaining that yes, they broke the law and the cops had every reason to pull them over but the police shouldn't be doing their job. What should the police be doing? Ignoring laws being broken? Someone gets killed because a cop decided someone speeding just a little after the bars close and then the screaming will start.

You can't do the time or pay the fine, don't do the crime.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 8 years ago
Jeri said:

Well, I have and it was certainly NOT my fault as they had added a "No Left Turn" sign to an intersection that I always used.

Well, it certainly was your fault. You turned left at an intersection that was clearly marked "No Left Turn". How is that not your fault? Driving a giant metal weapon comes with the responsibility to drive with awareness of one's surroundings. Just because you had always driven that way at this intersection doesn't give you the right to continue driving that way once the sign was erected. Traffic signs and patterns change all the time. You should see the wacky left-turn configurations we have here.
Posted by 64 (+195) 8 years ago
In regards to the bases of your car seats in the back of your vehicle. Which way were they facing? Towards the front possibly and the Cop was trying to tell you children in car seats need to be rear facing?? There he would have been helping you because the next time you got stopped for something and your children were with you face forward in the back seat you probably would have gotten a ticket for that too.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+415) 8 years ago
Wendy ~ Spot On!
My experience in life has been, 99.9 % of my problems were self inflicted. When I got a ticket I was always upset with the cop. Why? Because he caught me. Laws are laws. If you don't like them, get them changed. Heavy handed? Maybe sometimes. There are good and bad in all professions but I have never, and I mean NEVER been picked up for something I didn't do.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1512) 8 years ago
Try hanging around the Bison at midnight wearing your black pumps and that cute little strapless number I've seen you in. That will change.

FH
supporter
You have to know Jeri, Wendy. She was saying that very tongue and cheek. Her husband is a retired HP srgt and she is a lovely, kind, funny lady.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3195) 8 years ago
JM..You sweetheart...sticking up for me. It is fine..it was tongue in cheek. I did deserve it but, sure wished he had just given me a warning, Wendy:-) I think that was about 50 years ago, I was much younger and pregnant and really had a different type of reasoning at the time. Besides...people in the cars at the intersection were even waving at me to pay attention...just waved back. Figured it out later:-) I think we all have an instance along the way. Being married to an HP did not make a tad of difference, either. Rats!!!
Posted by bsales (+283) 8 years ago
bahaha i love how everyone feels so judgemental! there are instances where cops can pull a person over for no real reason, everyone makes mistakes ..blah blah blah, the point of the matter is, it all depends on what cop pulls you over and, going 28 in a 25 is not considered speeding by the way! you are allowed a four mile sper hour leneance, but once you are going 30 YOU BETTER WATCH OUT!!! they will get you! they call miles city the police academy around here because they cant keep the cops around here! for some reason or another they transfer or quit! so some one please tell me why this is? we have a very high turn over rate for our cops here...

i for one just avoid them completly! i stay home in the evenings any more and just do everything i can to avoid them, because i mean come on pulling someone over because their headlight flickered and then went out, and saying you were flashing them.????? how does this make sense oh and on top of that smelling every ones soda can that is in the car??? really???
Posted by ccarp (+121) 8 years ago
hey bsales,i emadiled ya..
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+622) 8 years ago
Reminds me of the PIG story.
A traveler was driving on a 2 lane country road and 3 people passed her going the oposite was and yelled to her PIG! she said to herself, "Boy these people around here sure are rude". She rounded the bend in the road and just outright splatter that 350lb pig all over her brand new Porsche!!
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+759) 8 years ago
Everyone knows that criminals who are wanted for serious crimes are most likely to be found during a stupid little traffic stop. I'm okay with putting bad people in jail, aren't you?
founder
supporter
Not if you are the bad person.
Please, bsales post on here the part of the speed limit law that states there is a 4 mph lenience for speeding. I want to be able to show it to the next cop that stops me.
My uncle was a well known/ well respected cop for years not to long ago and he told me there was a 4 mph lenience,IMO if a cop pulls you over for going 4 miles over then they are a jack A$$ trying to meet quota..because the cops(not all but most) here in miles city do the same thing(besides the fact they have a badge),they talk on their cell phones,dont wear their seat belt,and run red lights,I have even seen a cop actually going the speed limit with an older lady in front of him and he used his light just so he could get in front of her with out going around illegally & when he did get in front of her he was going just as slow as she was,abusing the so called power JMO though
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16971) 8 years ago
Belittling our outstanding public servants in the Miles City Police Department is just as bad, if not worse, than bullying.
Since when is stating the truth or fact bullying?

[This message has been edited by neonfreedom (8/15/2012)]
supporter
Bullies never think they're bullying.
Then you Bridgier and Gunnar Emilsson have NO room to talk my friend

[This message has been edited by neonfreedom (8/15/2012)]
supporter
Oh yeah, Gunnar's a total dick. Not quite into bigdrybug territory, but still.
supporter
Gunnar isn't bullying you, "Argonliberty". He is cowling you. There is a difference.
And you think your any better richard by calling me "Argonliberty",ya that's mature of you
supporter
I think we should all add neonfreedom to the prayer chain's of our respective houses of worship - obviously satan/thetans/marduk/whomever atheists don't believe cause us to do bad things has her in his/it's grasp, causing all this aggression and anger towards gentle souls such as Richard.

It's going to be okay neonfreedom - just let go and let YWHW/anthropomorphization of positive mental energy.
Im not an atheists,and once again thanks for thinking you know sh*t about me when all in all you really dont...you people are so rude and crude..you dont care or think about peoples feelings before you speak/write..
Posted by amydwright (+66) 8 years ago
wow how one simple post ends up to be a cat fight...
supporter
Ecumenicism is dead.
supporter
Bridgier,

Two too many apostrophes, my friend.
supporter
Bully.
supporter
No, see, if you always add "my friend" at the end you can say anything you want.
Karma is a bi*ch and i hope it bits you in the ass hard when you least expect it..
supporter
Oh, I see - so for example "Corporations are people, my friend" is totally okay?

Also:

Im not an atheists,and once again thanks for thinking you know sh*t about me when all in all you really dont

Karma is a b*tch

So... you're hindu then?

Sorry - So... you're hindu then, my friend?

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (8/15/2012)]
supporter
Bless your heart.
supporter
Why Richard, I didn't know you spoke southern....
Posted by Septyswife (+109) 8 years ago
Howdy, That was a great response! Thanks for the laugh.
supporter
Oh, I see - so for example "Corporations are people, my friend" is totally okay?

Seems to be working for Mittens.
Posted by Steve Allison (+977) 8 years ago
Please do not use Mittens name. She died three years ago and I still have a hole in my heart as a result. Besides she alway preferred he real warmth of snugguling up to a person to the cold indifference of a corporation.
supporter
what is the difference though, my friend?
supporter
Sorry, Steve. I had no idea.
founder
supporter
Mittens was Steve's first cat and she was in a class by herself. He was a dog person before her but she converted him to cat appreciation. He still likes dogs, of course, but learned to like cats.
Posted by Dan Ries (+31) 8 years ago
Neonfreedom, our cops are people with families, albeit not perfect, certainly not due the bashing you are giving them. Give it a rest please.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16971) 8 years ago
Well said, Dan.
Posted by Nichole Jackson (+363) 8 years ago
I agree with Dan! Well said!!

Back to the orginal post that started this discussion!

I'm not saying what happened is the correct way to handle expired tags. But I do know that if you gave attidute the officer is going to keep you longer until he/she is sure you can leave (when running reports, calling things in may take a few mintues if not longer if there was red flag pulled up, not saying this happened).

FYI: If you go get your truck registered asap, show up to court on the date your suppose too, with receipt from the court house stating you got your truck registered, don't give attidute, plead guilty since you didn't get it registered before hand so you are guilty of not getting it registered in time, the judge may drop the ticket but the minute you give him/her attidute they may make you pay the fine regardless.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 8 years ago
Karma is a bi*ch and i hope it bits you in the ass hard when you least expect it..

So if you believe in karma and you said that doesn't it then inflict bad karma on yourself?

Just asking.
Posted by chris a peterson (+32) 8 years ago
i hope nobody is still following this post. i can not believe the petty BS. what would you guess the average age so far? 9? I for one accept your agitation over the experience. Your best bet is probably showing up in court with child and explain. I've seen stranger work in favor of the defendant but dont expect such. Hey you simply got a ticket. It should be the responsibility of the officer to determine your awareness of the situation, so he simply was doing the job you and I pay him to do.