Paul Ryan on the issues....
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 9 years ago
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 9 years ago
what a cold blooded ass Ryan is...While the 71 yr old man is taken to the ground for daring to ask a question Ryan didn't like, Ryan jokes "hope he remembered to take his blood pressure medicine"...this man paid 15 bucks to attend this meeting but wasn't allowed to ask his question about medicare and SS...His question was he was offended cause he had paid into these programs for over 50 yrs and didn't like them called entitlements...I agree with him...

[This message has been edited by howdy (8/12/2012)]
Posted by tax payer (+346) 9 years ago
As Bob L said "Hey Tax Dodger:

Medicare is an entitlement program.

So is Social Security.

Think about it."
supporter
Don't care what anyone says, I paid into these programs for years and they aren't entitlement programs but are like insurance programs that pay off when you reach a certain age...so I agree with that man that got roughed up at the Ryan meeting...Senior citizens aren't welfare recipients given entitlement programs but most are hard working americans that are retiring and receiving programs that were set up for that purpose...they in turn paid into these programs in order to receive them at retirement age...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 9 years ago
The pejorative term "entitlements" is a fairly recent Republican invention designed to make people feel bad about getting what they paid for. Anything that benefits the non-weathly is a bad thing, you know.

I did notice that Willard's handlers are back-pedaling on the Ryan budget already. Now that's what I call efficient.
supporter
Might I add that if you don't pay into these programs for a certain number of quarterly years, then you don't qualify for them but have to go on the "entitlement version" of SS...it is called SSI I believe...
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3259) 9 years ago
Regarding Paul Ryan, Dick Cheney said, "I worship the ground Paul Ryan walks on". He was hoping that Paul Ryan would not run for President as he has a lot of work to do overhauling Medicare and other programs. Implementing his Ryan budget.

Paul Ryan is a worshipper of Ayn Rand's (deceased) philosophy and you can read about her on Wikipedia. Her works were his guiding light in getting him into politics. He did a very good job for Pres. Bush and VP Cheney when they were in office. Much of what he is now trying to rectify is due to bills that he voted for...only now it tends to further deprive those who have been victims of his initial leanings.

There is a lot out there to learn about a potential candidate and there is really a lot about him. I do think that former Gov. Romney is into Corporate Cloning:-)
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 9 years ago
While I disagree with Mr. Ryan on, oh, 99% of the issues, I commend him for at least putting forth a proposal from the right on what they would do to try to fix the economy. Of course, their ideas have been tried, and are a recipe for disaster (unless you already are rich).

Trying to come up with solutions is infinitely better than being a total bump on the log like, say, our illustrious congressman who is currently running for senate. That guy hasn't done jack for a decade or more.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 9 years ago
I was watching Face the Nation(or one of those shows, not sure which) this AM and Scott Walker was being interviewed. When asked about Ryan's ideas regarding SS, Walker went into some rant about Obama's unfair attacks. The interviewer (the tall funny-looking guy from NBC) basically let him off the hook. It was like watching Fox News.
Posted by mule train (+1057) 9 years ago
It doesn't matter who the republicans run in this election. The choice would be the same. If you are rich or just lazy and living off your grandparents or their grandparents money then you should vote republican. If you work for a living and don't have a silver spoon sticking out your ass...and need to keep working to survive then you should vote democrat. I understand the rich's position. If I had money that my great grandparents made I would want to keep it and not pay taxes either. But I don't. And I need to work and buy my own health insurance and will need a pension/retirement when I get older. I think the vast majority of Americans are in the same boat as me. The reason these elections are always close is because the republicans year after year can convince the weak minded that they should vote republican because of abortion or gun control or some other nonissue even though they are in the wrong boat. If you're not rich and vote republican then you are weak minded and fail to understand the larger picture. And that is what the republican party is built on.
supporter
That and Sarah Palin's boobs.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9960) 9 years ago
founder
supporter
I love those articles that assume you can just save another 5%, no problem. Some people work for minimum wage and can barely meet expenses. Saving a million bucks is not going to happen.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2717) 9 years ago

[This message has been edited by Kelly (8/13/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 9 years ago
No way, Kelly! I just saw Romney singing the praises of Medicare. Obama wants to cut $700 billion and that's baaaad. They aren't obstructionists, even when it's one of their guiding principles, they swear.

By the by, that $700 billion cut is estimated savings if we invest a little in each other and see the doctor in the office for preventive services instead of in the ER where it's too late and costs a fortune. Terrible.
supporter
supporter
Read Buck's post again, Kelly.
How much does obamacare cut in the Medicare program?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 9 years ago
supporter
Read Buck's post again, Kelly.

Thank you Bob. My bad.
supporter
founder
supporter
http://www.theatlantic.co...an/261027/

I love these plans to cut taxes on the wealthy to the point of laughability, then follow by saying we need to spend more on "defense."

And here's another one, again from a British paper, on how Ryan just happened to sell his bank stock just in time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk...ing-crisis

Know how Ryan's dad made his money? Building interstate highways! After Dad died, his poor son took the Social Security he was entitled to while sonny boy went to college.

So, let's get rid of interstates and social security so no other person can follow the Ryan way to wealth.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (8/14/2012)]
supporter
Since Republicans worship President Ronald Reagan, I find it interesting that his budget director, David Stockman, slams the Ryan budget.

http://www.nytimes.com/20...-plan.html
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9224) 9 years ago
DEATH PANELS, amirite tax_payer?
supporter
Catholic Ryan is also at odds with church teachings...

http://www.latimes.com/ne...6069.story
founder
supporter
Ayn Rand was an atheist who supported abortion rights. She also disapproved of accepting government handouts until she needed them. Then she took them. Mr. Ryan is now back-pedaling on his fondness for Ms. Rand.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 9 years ago
UNCONSTITUTIONAL DEATH PANELS, at that, Bridgier. Hey, if the "American Healthcare Education Coalition" says it, it's as good as gospel.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3259) 9 years ago
Shoot...no one seems to want to read the book I suggested..."Health Care Reform"..by the very guy who helped Gov. Romney as well as Congress and the President develop it. A very easy read...maybe 2 hours and in comic book form. ..And...alas...NO DEATH PANELS. Wonder where they got that anyway?
At least he has a budget. I believe Mr. Obama will be the first to go a term with no budget.
supporter
http://www.whitehouse.gov...t/Overview

Tell us more about your "beliefs".
supporter
At least he has a budget.

Yes he does, and that is why he's earned the nickname of "The Granny Starver."
supporter
I believe the proper formulation is "Zombie-Eyed Granny Starver"
supporter
You are correct. I was just trying to soften it a bit.
Well not one person voted for obama's budget.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+480) 9 years ago
Surprised everybody's so worried about this guy. He's just the veep candidate, it's not like anything he says today will matter after the election, even if they do win.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 9 years ago
Guess you've never heard of Lyndon Johnson, Harry Truman or Gerald Ford.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+787) 9 years ago
Jeri, you ask too much, if you expect most people to read. You and Richard offered two excellent sources on this thread. I for one am going to read each before the convention. By the way,It's always good to read your contributions
Posted by chris a peterson (+38) 9 years ago
Hey i like palins boobs.