Posted by happynow (+114) 9 years ago
Does anyone know what the new high posts with some sort of screen are that have been installed around town on the streets with one being at the 3-way stop before the underpass. It is up high, and a good six feet before the stop sign on Main heading West towards underpass. ?????????
Posted by 64 (+197) 9 years ago
Doesn't have something to do with telling motorist if they are going to "FIT" under the underpass or not?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14948) 9 years ago
I think you are talking about the new Laughingstock Prevention System which warns you that your vehicle is too tall to fit under the underpass. If you ignore it and you get stuck under the underpass you become the laughingstock of the community.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11731) 9 years ago
I wrote the article on the front page of the Star about them last week sometime.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 9 years ago
Care to start a pool on how long after the underpass overheight detectors are activated before a truck hits the underpass? Within a year?

That whole intersection of Main, Center, and Valley Drive is a disaster. It's a 4-way intersection bordering on 5-way (with the Montana Ave. truck route entering Center Ave. so close by); the intersecting streets are not aligned/perpendicular making the sightlines terrible; the underpass obscures eastbound traffic; and 3 out of 4 approaches have a stop sign but the 4th approach is free to go any direction without stopping and the signage at the other 3 stops doesn't make this clear at all. It's a wonder there aren't more accidents at this intersection.

There should be warning signs at the stop signs stating that eastbound traffic does not stop (i.e. ONCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP, TRAFFIC FROM LEFT DOES NOT STOP, TRAFFIC FROM RIGHT DOES NOT STOP).

Posted by happynow (+114) 9 years ago
I had no clue........hahaha, you guys are halarious, and thank you for enlightening me!!!!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14948) 9 years ago
I'm waiting for a tall load to take out the new system.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+391) 9 years ago
it definitely needs traffic lights. but it is fun to see the trucks get stuck.
Posted by Phil Shifley (+115) 9 years ago
They can't put an Eastbound stop sign or even a stop light at that intersection. In the winter, stopped Eastbound traffic will stall and end up blocking the street. Ever try starting from a stop on an uphill grade while on snow or ice???? The signing there is adequate, the little rectangle below the stop sign says "3-Way" if people keep that in mind instead of driving DWHUA, there shouldn't be any problem.
founder
supporter
Several folks have tested them by waving a broom in front of the sensor in front of the furniture store but no trucks have set them off to my knowledge. We're all waiting.
supporter
Posted by montanajane (+288) 9 years ago
We were following a motorhome one night and the sign started telling them to take the next right turn. Kind of awesome!
founder
supporter
KEWL!