"Frosty Bell"
Posted by Paul Caine (+4) 15 years ago
Have thoroughly enjoyed browsing around the site and running across old friends like Pete Petro.

Does anyone remember the "Frosty Bell" ice cream truck started by Bruce Jelinek when he was about 13 years old, in 1949, and he held a Montana drivers license.

Frosty Bell was always there to meet the Milwaukee Railroad passenger trains, constuction sites at Holy Rosary and the Veteran's hospital. Vet's housing development, other Miles City residential neighborhoods and parks, Ranch Rodeo's and at the Miles City Athletic's base ball games.

You could work for Bruce for free ice cream bars and popsicles. The summer of his junior year at Custer, he sold his ice cream truck and worked directly for Purity Dairies of Miles City.

Sincerely, Paul Caine
Posted by Joanne Dolan (+5) 15 years ago
Hi Paul,
I remember Bruce's ice cream truck quite well. You could hear him through-out the various neighborhoods and see the kids scrambling to meet him. I always felt that he was quite interprising for his age.

I was not aware that he met the trains but do remember him at the various functions around town.... especially at the swimming pool.
Those were the good days.
Joanne Wiemann
Posted by Betty O'Brien (+119) 15 years ago
Paul, I do remember the Frosty Bell but I never knew Bruce was the one who was running it. Bet you were willing to work for him all the time with all that "free" stuff. I was under the impression that Bob "Wimpy" Burger ran the thing. I was certainly mistaken about that - I believe Bob Burger told me he owned it - probably wished he did, I really don't know but thanks for bringing up another "memory" - Betty O'Brien
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+287) 15 years ago
Paul,
Good to see your name again. I remember Bruce and the Frosty Bell and I'm sure Betty is right about Wimpy Burger running one too, but I think they were at different times. Maybe Bruce bought Wimpy out or vice versa. I don't think they competed.Thanks for bringing back a page of the past. Kind of makes you want to go to a Volborg dance, doesn't it?
Paul, click on my name at the top of this post and let me know what you're up to these days.
Pete

PS Paul,
Do you think it's about time to "stuff" the roof vents on the CCHS gym again?
Posted by Chuck Aastrom (+14) 15 years ago
I don't have anything to add to this site, just wanted to say "Hi" to CCHS '52 classmates and to my good friend Betty from Kinsey.
Has anyone heard if there will be a 55 year reunion this summer?
Posted by Bruce Jelinek (+6) 15 years ago
Hi Betty, Pete, and Joanne. Betty, you are absolutly correct. Bob Berger and myself did own and operate the Frosty Bell the very first year. Year two and three, Bob was out and I owned and operated it myself, "with a little help from my friends." The next year, I sold the Frosty Bell and I worked for Purity Dairy, and called on the retail markets in Miles City.
Posted by Betty O'Brien (+119) 15 years ago
Hi Bruce: Thanks much for clearing the Frosty Bell deal up for me again - Pete at least made me think I wasn't loosing it yet as he did explain it to me. Golly, I remember the good times had in MC - Bruce, do you remember the time you took a load of us kids in your old car and was somewhere out by the stockyards in the winter - kinda tipped it over in the ditch in a snow bank - the boys got out tipped it up again and off we went, remember??
Posted by Bruce Jelinek (+6) 15 years ago
Hi Betty,

Do I remember? You bet I remember. We were all in an old 1935 Chevorlet. I remember you, Marian and Lou Griffee, but I am not sure who else. We were comming accross the NP tracks and Marian said "you have to turn down here." I remember to this day what I said, "don't worry, I know this road like a book" and than we went off the road and laid the car on it's side. I remember it was a soft landing and a bit wet. That is one of a few stories I have about that car. Thanks for the memory Betty.

Bruce
Posted by Joanne Dolan (+5) 15 years ago
I'm so glad that I didnt do things like that in those days. . . .
Joanne
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+287) 15 years ago
HAH!!!!!