Posted by Exalted Buckaroo (+247) 9 years ago
The address is 603 S. 4th St. in Miles City. If you're attending a function at the Town & Country Club, you can't miss this eyesore.

Does anyone know if anyone lives in this rat's nest and, if so, who's responsible for all the scattered debris, overgrown weeds, and junk vehicles surrounding it? It's hard to believe that the mayor or the city health board would allow this kind of public health hazard within the city limits.
Posted by GL (+33) 9 years ago
Rob Shipley lives there.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 9 years ago
He was the first victim of the chemtrails.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 9 years ago
I thought the last mayor had this mess cleaned up and then was sued by the occupant for a civil rights violation. Whatever became of that?
Posted by Melita (+338) 9 years ago
What about all the places the railroad doesn't bother to clean up???
Posted by Exalted Buckaroo (+247) 9 years ago
Good point, David. I've not seen anything in the Star about that lawsuit. This house is owned by that same guy?? Unbelievable.
Posted by DAVE HERRING (+70) 9 years ago
You have got to be kidding me. "Chemtrails" that is about the most BS I have ever herd of. I seriously hope you do not believe that crap not for one second. That is a bunch of lies.
Posted by neonfreedom (+289) 9 years ago
Is he elderly or handicap by chance?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 9 years ago
He has a head injury.

Good thing the golf course is on the south side.
Posted by Herbie (+113) 9 years ago
Yes he is handicapped.......in the head!
Posted by nativemc (+912) 9 years ago
Rob Shipley, The most persecuted man in Miles City. I cant imagine what his mother would say about this place. She had a beautiful home on Main Street. I think his dad would just kick his butt.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16946) 9 years ago
I feel sorry for the neighbors. Clearly this brings down the property values in that area. Would you want to buy the house next door or across the street? Not I.

If the City of Miles City isn't going to enforce its public nuisance ordinance then it should remove it from the books. No point in having a law you won't (or can't) enforce.
supporter
Enforce it across the board or not at all. They pick on Ship because his house is visible, not because it's the only eye sore in town.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6175) 9 years ago
Nobody picks on Ship. The City does not have enough employees to enforce this ordinance and relies on the citizenry to report problems. If it's not reported, the City can't do anything. Shipley's house is at a busy intersection given its proximity to the golf course and so exposes its horros to a large section of the population. Shipley is a scary-ish guy who owns guns. I suspect that's why clean-up hasn't been enforced.
supporter
If he didn't choose that lifestyle, I suppose you wouldn't hold it against him?
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1271) 9 years ago
I don't think it's a lifestyle choice, I think it's genetic. He was born that way. Don't try to change him! At least he can still get married.
Posted by wrejr (+165) 9 years ago
i think there are alot of houses around town that need major cleanup and is a constant eye sore all over town... the blue trailer house on the corner of William and north 6th is hideous. the owners just go there to feed the 40 some odd animals living inside of it and do NO maintenance on or inside the property. the place needs to be condemned, torn down, and the lot sold, there is so many places on the north side of town that could be usable places for people to live, but the owners of these places just are uncaring of our city and land.
Posted by Melita (+338) 9 years ago
I sooo agree!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 9 years ago
Taxpayer. Would you please explain the chemtrail situation to Dave Herring. I have a feeling you're an expert.
I may be wrong and somebody please correct me if I am wrong but, isnt there a law on the books in Miles City, the city has the authority to come in and clean a place if it is a public nuisance, then bill it to the land owner or add it to the property taxes? This appears to now have become a health hazard of sorts. Mice, skunks or other rodents and bugs. One final question. Who has the authority to enforce the public safety ordinance?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 9 years ago
Laws are beside the point. There's also a law requiring property owners to control noxious weeds. Does anyone enforce that?

Thanks for the clarification, Buck. I amend my previous post to include head injuries with chemtrails.
supporter
It was caused by solidified excrement, not chem-trails.

I sure hope we practice the same level of tolerance for those boys who come back from war and act differently than we remember. At least until they inconvenience us.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (7/19/2012)]
Some interesting reading under nuisances.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12365

It appears that there is supposed to be a code enforcement officer. I wonder who that would be.

[This message has been edited by nativemc (7/19/2012)]
Posted by Its Me (+188) 9 years ago
Posted by Brandon Loomis (+94) 9 years ago
Holy old news Batman. Rob Shipley has been reported anonymously many many times. Followed with him being cited by MCPD after surrounding neighbors were finally willing to put there name on the complaints. A lengthy court hearing followed with him losing at the city level and then appealing and losing again in district court. I believe Judge Day was involved in that. Rob was ordered to clean up and make progress, or serve jail time. To which he did to a certain extent hauling quite a bit of stuff to property he leased on BNSF property near Paxson Flooring. Complaints were then submitted to BNSF. Rob Shipley hadn't paid his BNSF lease in years and they took ownership of all property at that location, holding an auction then bull dozing the building. Mr. Shipley is probably at the mercy of the court for his S 4th property still and it should be looked into if complaints could be made to the court.
Posted by MR (+391) 9 years ago
There are SO many places in town that are an eye sore....The whole 500 block on both sides of Washington Street. House on 300 block of 10th Street(old cars etc.) House on the corner of 10th and Orr. Many more, just drive around...and call your city councilmen, councilwomen.
Posted by Diesel (+182) 9 years ago
Its sad really, I remember when this house was built and it was beautiful, I wanted to buy but didn't have the money. Now I look at it and even tell my kids as we go buy how nice it used to be and all they can say is, "Wow, what happened to it, it looks like a pile of junk."
supporter
Posted by mikeh (+301) 9 years ago
Shopped for a condo near there a couple of years ago (during the previous administration). It looked just as bad then.
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+478) 9 years ago
The Shipley home has been in that state for so long I think it
should be designated a Miles City landmark and included in any
tour by visitors.