supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 9 years ago
So, it appears that one of miles city's son's has given nearly the full measure of his devotion to his country.

I wandered through his facebook support page and saw plenty of pictures of a healthy man who should, absent misfortune, have had many healthy years ahead of him.

I would hate to upset Kacey and distract the purpose of the other thread, so I guess I'll start a new one, with a new question:

What purpose has his service in Afghanistan served, and are we as a society better off with him a casualty instead of healthy? I can't/won't try and speak for him, as I don't know him, and only he can answer the question of "was it worth it" to his satisfaction. But for me, personally, I have to say no. I would rather have him whole instead of broken, and, absent a clear goal in Afghanistan, I think that every casualty that has preceeded him and every one that will follow is a horrendous tragedy.

Why are we there? Why can't it stop? Why are we still asking these questions 10 years later?
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 9 years ago
Military Industrial Complex
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
Yep as Eisenhower said "Beware the Military Industrial Complex" as it is so huge we have to have wars just to support their industry...tragic...Prayers to this young man and his family...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 9 years ago
If you figure out what Afghanistan has that Chicago doesn't, you'll find your answer.
Posted by Exalted Buckaroo (+249) 9 years ago
Of course, this close to tragedy, it'll be considered sacrilege by most to entertain any questions about the risks and rewards of military intervention abroad in over 150 countries. Those thoughts and questions will be buried for another less painful day but will likely never be exhumed.

Meanwhile, we'll continue to confuse support for military families with support for military adventurism. To avoid critical thinking, we'll issue vacuous platitudes like "I declare you healed because our God is an almighty God" and "I've never met you but your family is in my prayers". In Montana, we'll resist all missile defense cutbacks, we'll counter attempts to consolidate fighter wings, we won't question the delivery of National Guard volunteers from key civic roles within our communities directly into foreign combat zones, and we'll allow our high school libraries to be blanketed with military recruitment literature and posters.

From 2004-2008, annual military recruitment and retention budgets more than doubled from $3.4 billion to $7.7 billion. Let's think about this stuff NOW, while it's still fresh and painful.
Posted by JAGB (+110) 9 years ago
My son is there and I also ask why !!!!!!!!!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 9 years ago
Buck and Buckaroo are right on track with their comments.

I am very proud of the degree of support we have shown for our military personnel during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can only hope that we will not forget them in the years to come - as all of them will need support for many years.

Like Bridgier, I get darned frustrated and angry when politicians of both parties use our military personnel as "hostages" to insure unquestioning support for the wars. The very idea that we Americans are being disloyal to those in service if we question the reasons they are placed in harm's way is not only morally wrong, it strikes at the very core of what makes our Nation what it is.

When our folks enlist, they yield the right to question why and where they are sent. Their duty is to carry out the commands of their civil and military leadership. It is our duty to ask those questions, to demand answers, and when we believe the answers fall short it is our duty to call our leaders to account. In doing so, we are neither showing disloyalty to those in service not to our country. Gosh knows, our service members are doing their duty, but I don't believe the American people are doing theirs.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3243) 9 years ago
There are books about what the lack of a Military Industrial Complex would do to Lockheed Martin and Boeing, etc. They are so strong. Chris is my neighbor and I do pray for him. It really isn't fair. You all have such great points...wish it could stop today.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 9 years ago
Bring....them....home....now...

FH
Posted by Merry DeAnda (+1849) 9 years ago
Frank Here's to you
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
Amen Frank!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Why are we there? Why can't it stop? Why are we still asking these questions 10 years later?

I have it from a soldier that was injured in Afganistan and has since returned that the natives of that country ask our troops those questions... "why are you here"?

I agree with Frank... Bring the troops home NOW!
Posted by neonfreedom (+290) 9 years ago
I agree with both of you they needed to be home years ago,but it doesnt help that obama sends them home and then sends them back,and keeps changing the date for them to all be pulled out of afgan and iran and iraq right?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 9 years ago
The standard answer you will hear is that we need to train the Afghans to fight for themselves, but it is all crap.

Supporting Kharzi in 2012 ain't a heck of a lot different than supporting Batista in 1957.

Separated at birth? Or, secret son/grandson?

founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
Mittens wants to lower your taxes, balance the budget AND increase defense spending by a huge whop! No, it can't be done but who cares! Let's dump some more money in the death machine!